• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Jpg exposes bugs in QImage and ZoomBrowser

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2011 Jun 22, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since a recent upgrade to CS5 (I guess 12.0.4 and certainly the current version) JPG files I've saved take about 1000x times longer to open in Canon ZoomBrowser 6.7.2.33 (the latest version). When I say 1000x I mean 1000x. Recent jpg are taking over 30s to open a single image! I raised this with Canon sending then old and new jpg (created using an older version of CS5 and the latest) from the same CR2 file. They said:

Extracting the EXIF data from both the good and bad images we found that the JPEGInterchangeFormatLength (JpegIFByteCount) value is bigger in the bad files.
JPEGInterchangeFormatLength shows the number of bytes of JPEG compressed thumbnail data.

We believe that this higher number is causing the problem as the ZoomBrowser EX application is trying to use the EXIF data to generate the thumbnail images, and to display the files. We were able to reproduce the issue in our test environment.

We would recommend you to contact the Adobe support in order to find out if there were any related updates released in the last few weeks that possibly was installed on your computer manually or automatically.

Please can you investigate what changed recently in CS5. And how I rescue my recent jpg images that I've needed to create for my clients. If you need the images that I sent Canon for your investigation then please let me know.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 141 Replies 141
141 Comments
New Here ,
Jun 29, 2012 Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again, Not sure if "Please, don't exaggerate the scope of the problem.

QImage had a bug, and that bug has been fixed by the author of QImage" was meant for me or Mike but Im not exaggerating the problem. Im simply telling you the behaviour Im seeing on my system. Leaving qimage out for a moment. Again I dont know anything about jfif headers I have one more question before I park it - I feel Im generating negative energy here which is not my intention!

"Is a jpeg generated by cs5 EXACTLY the same as one generated by lightroom 3.6? If they are (and I think they should be!) why am I only having issues with cs5 and only when I use the "save" command?"

Using the "save as" command I cannot remember ever having had the issue. This is the part I dont understand, but as I said I can live with it.

Incidently Mike I didnt know that "your bug" was only fixed in ultimate. (I obviously dont spend enough time on these forums - and my typing is too bad!). I have no problem upgrading to ultimate although I felt when I trialled it some time ago that I only needed the basic functions and didnt want to complicate matters. I will try again!

If Chris can answer my question I would appreciate it - I,m not trying to stirr up anything but simply to understand what is happening,
Thanks for the time, Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My reply was to Mike.

Save and Save As in Photoshop are the same.

Lightroom may generate something different, but it should be the same as saving from ACR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi chris -
"Save and Save As in Photoshop are the same" - any idea why they sometimes behave differently when saving jpegs?.
Does lightroom save jpegs with the same (jfif or whatever!) as cs5 (Im not talking about ACR - just the plain cs5. My point is that they should be the same across the adobe range but my issue seems to only appear with "save" commanded jpegs, and only in cs5.
It is really wierd but Im going to mark it as "parked", use my workarounds, and see what happens with future upgrades.
Thanks everybody for the time, N

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you make different choices in the options (saving profiles, etc.), I do not know why they would be different. The only bug we know of that makes them different relates to the length of the filename (save as trims it to 32 characters by mistake).

Lightroom and ACR share their file IO code - their files should be the same.
But they do not share the exact same code as Photoshop.

And no, different apps have different histories, different codebases, different needs, and release at different times -- they will not often sync up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok Thanks Chris, No I checked that - my settings are the same. Even if they were different I would expect a constant difference if you know what i mean. It remains a mystery to me - but at least I know it sometimes happens so am aware of it and my workaround is ready. I really thought a jpeg was a jpeg - I never knew that they could be different! Ive learnt something! Anyway thanks for the time - Ill mark it down as closed and await cs6 or 7 or whatever! N

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry, very irritating here getting help, ended up in the community instead of being able to place this request to adobe. anyway, very annoying problem having bought new lr6

as you can see below i cannot see the needed data to the right anymore

lr6prob1_inline-0fb7f33d-84de-4618-8d15-238f3e0a0ac9-1171403836.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 26, 2015 Apr 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

solved, thanx!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2017 Nov 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes me too! when I zoom around the canvas, the artboard jumps around in position. Please fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one easy fix - downgrade. I did 😉
2018 - versions are, in my experience,  not yet bug-free

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Nov 09, 2017 Nov 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fix for now is to activate the Application Frame and use Open Docs as Tabs pref.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2017 Nov 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have downgraded to CC 2017 because this bug is too infuriating. Please fix ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this issue was fixed in the .0.1 release a few days back...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not for me, unfortunately 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did you check that the snap to center preference was turned off?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Yeah it is off, but thanks anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate