• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lagging while zooming and painting with Native Canvas Rulers enabled - PS (v23.2.0) Windows

Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

Bit of a strange one and I've only noticed this since recent updates. When I have an image (regardless of resolution etc) open and the PS window is active/in-focus, I can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel smoothly as long as the image is fully visible in the PS window canvas. But if I zoom in closer so parts of the image fall outside of the canvas, then zooming is laggy, like as if there's a CPU spike laggy but there actually is not any CPU spike.

If I click out of the PS window so PS is no longer in-focus, and then hover the mouse over the PS window and then zoom (WIndows by default will allow scrolling or zooming on whatever window app window the mouse is hovered over) then the exact same zooming actions are smooth.

I have recorded a video showing what i mean to help give a better visual of what I'm on about: https://youtu.be/3Xv7E-JPnZg

My mouse is a Logitech MX Master 3 and it is running the latest software, this issue has only been noticed since recent PS updates though so I don't think it is mouse related. Zooming using CTRL & -/+ on the keyboard does not exhibit this issue however, but the zooming steps are much larger using the keyboard shortcut.

I am on Windows 11 (up to date) and have the nVidia Studio driver v511.65.

Cheers!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.4. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.4, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

I updated to the 23.2.2 update this morning, and it fixed the issue for me. 

I was able to keep the rulers visible on my Cintiq with no brush lag. 

Thanks, Adobe!

[2.3.2.2 edited to 23.2.2 by moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 126 Replies 126
126 Comments
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is your ruler visible? Hide it with STRG + R and after that scrolling with Alt + Mousewheel should be smooth again. Maybe it lags a few times after that but then it should be smooth. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to say fix my problem but this is a quick fix for someone))

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. I just had to roll back to the previous version because of zooming problems too. I am using an acessory with a scroll wheel that was working unevenly, zooming in a little bit, then jumping around the canvas while showing the eyedropper symbol. It seems to be a bug that crept in on all rolling motions in the new version, from what I can see from all the complaints here. The previous version is working fine for me. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, can't believe this works! Guess I have to turn my ruler off whenever I finish using it. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unchecking this option in preferences and restarting Photoshop to see if it helps

2022-02-21 12_12_42-© SFTW156DesertMountains.jpg @ 40.3% (RGB_8).png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found that you can check "Deactivate Native Canvas" while keep "Enable Native Canvas Rulers" checked

asik13078621_0-1645450304310.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Today i opened the photoshop and i just seen that i have been updated to 23.2. Ok, first thing i observed is the lag i had when i tried to use the brush or the eraser with my cintiq 16. When i put the nib of the pen on the screen i had a lag of half or 1 sec until the stroke shows on. And on each time i put the pen back on screen i had lag. 

I installed the 23.1.1 and everything works normal now. No lag, no issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and uncheck "Enable Native Canvas Rulers" and restart Photoshop, does the problem persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got the new update for photoshop (23.2) on windows 10 and as soon as I started painting with it I noticed brush lag. I made sure all of my drivers were updated, but the issue persisted. I tried adjusting performance settings and noticed when I unchecked "use graphics processor" the issue went away, but with it on I have brush lag. I made sure that my GPU is compatible with photoshop. I have used photoshop for years and had no issue with brush lag before the update. For me this makes the newest update of photoshop unusable because I cannot paint if the brush is going to lag and I want to be able to rotate my canvas while working. If anyone has any solutions I would really apprciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you reenable your GPU and disabled rulers or  go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and uncheck "Enable Native Canvas Rulers" and restart Photoshop, does the problem persist?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you I had the exact same unexplainable crazy lag when zooming in with this version, and I was stumped. This fixed it for me, it made PS unusable and glad to see a resolution. Hopefully Adobe fixes these issues soon they always come up so randomly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 22, 2022 Feb 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, i unchecked that option and it seems to work good now. Thanks for help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is getting extremely laggy when rulers are enabled. Everything is back to normal right after turning them off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try unchecking this option in preferences and restarting Photoshop to see if it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It solved the problem. I was contacting Adobe Support couple of times amd had to ask here to get the solution. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unchecking the "Native Rulers" option totally fixed it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When zooming in or out, the zooming does not go smoothly but it cuts. I have turned off animated zoom and the same photoshop settings as in Photoshop version 23.1.1, where zooming is smooth. I tried to install Photoshop 23.1.1, zooming is smooth. I will install Photoshop 23.2 with the same settings. zooming is not smooth, cuts, tears. If I reinstall Photoshop 23.1.1, zooming is smooth. Where can there be a mistake? ADOBE error? (Notebook ASUS ROG G752VM, Intel i7-6700HQ, 16GB RAM, Windows 10). Well thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Do you have the rulers enabled by any chance when you noticed the lag, if so try unchecking this option in preferences and restarting Photoshop to see if it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That fixed it. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE 2: After 3 days with no problems I had the lag again. Disabling the Native Canvas (under Preferences -->Technology Previews) solved the problem. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use a desktop video card Radeon RX Vega56 and windows 10. After update 23.2 Photoshop started to lag a lot, especially when zooming and using a brush. The lags stop if I turn off GPU usage. Please fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried adding "sprk 20000" to PSUserConfig.txt, but it didn't help. The mouse still lags occasionally when pressing the ALT key.

I have a colleague who has the exact same problem after updating to 23.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since updating to v23.2 I've haven't been getting real time brush outup. Instead PS has been rendering strokes after the action is compleats. Needless to say this is annoying when you're trying to do something that is pressure sensitive.

PS: 23.2
Win 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated photoshop this morning and whenever I make a selection and then hold alt on the lasso tool to deselect part of the selection I get severe lag on my cursor. Reverted to photoshop 23.1.1 and it's normal again.

windows 10

wacom intuous pro

Votes

Translate

Translate