Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Layers panel 'filter for adjustment layers' doesn't show 'Color Fill' layers

Engaged ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the title says. 
When I filter for adjustment layers, Solid Color (Color Fill) layers don't show.
Same goes for 'Gradient' and 'Pattern', so it might be intentional, but it's not how PS CS6 used to work & it kinda breaks my workflow.

Is there an optional setting I'm missing?

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
8 Comments
Mentor ,
Feb 04, 2019 Feb 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. Those are definitely adjustment layers, yet the filter doesn't consider them so. 
I'll pass along a bug report.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 05, 2019 Feb 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Réné and Eartho,

I believe that Solid Color, Gradient, and Pattern are considered Fill Layers rather than Adjustment Layers, based on the setup of the Layers menu.  I'm still cool submitting a bug report for this, but would that information change your perception of this situation (probably not, but it doesn't hurt to ask...)?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David. I guess the confusion comes from the Layers panel, where you can access both Fill and Adj layers from the menu at the bottom, which has the same icon as the Filter menu at the top...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I put similar verbiage in my bug report, actually.  I think if we're going to differentiate, we should do a better job or don't split them out.  That's actually kinda what I was alluding to in my previous message -- is this delineation between Fill and Adjustment layers useful or meaningful to you?  If not, then we should treat them all the same.  Thoughts?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From my perspective, I don't see any distinction. To me, Fill layers have always been adjustment layers since i access them through the Adj menu in the layers panel. It wasn't even until this question that i noticed they were split up in the Layer menu! 
I think the way they're arranged in the layers panel makes sense, but then is confusing when they're split up in the layers menu. Add to that that you're then unable to filter in the layers menu is another point of confusion. 
Maybe what's needed are some new Fill types! That way the split could be justified 😃 Smart Object symmetry fill? Texture Generator Fill? Tile Fill? A new Gradient Type Fill borrowing from the fancy new Illustrator grads???? I can dream up as many as you want!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The 'split' might or might not be justified (that's why I said "it might be intentional"), but the point is, I can longer filter for them. So in that case a new filter option for these types of layers would come in very handy 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your feedback, guys.  I went ahead and logged this bug yesterday and linked this forum post to it, so when it comes time to prioritize this work, your comments will be visible.

Have a good one,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 11, 2020 May 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Any update on this? It's still the same in PS CC 21.1.2...

Votes

Translate

Translate