• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Mouse cursor replacing brush outline when drawing on a layer with a mask enabled

LEGEND ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When making quick short strokes the brush outline cursor is replaced with the standard mouse pointer cursor, on a layer that has a mask enabled. This doesn't seem to be an issue when the layer's mask is disabled or when the brush is changed to crosshairs.

I primarily use photoshop to paint, and while I don't use layer masks every day, it is definitely an issue when I am working on a piece that is quite detailed.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Jun 04, 2021 Jun 04, 2021

I found a fix for myself on this but others could try.

I turned off the generator plugin in preferences and it totally stopped it. It will turn the plugin back on when exporting an image but I would just turn it off again so I could work without annoyance.

Thankfully I've not had this issue at all since getting a new work computer.

Hope this helps someone.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

I've logged a bug on this.  Thank you for reporting this and providing a video (very helpful). 

Votes

Translate

Translate
42 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the brush tool, if I'm doing quick repetitive strokes, the brush outline will flicker to cursor for a split second. This happens every couple of strokes at worst. I've tried this on all of the macs in the office, so this appears to be a flaw with photoshop itself. If anyone could shed some light on this I would really appreciate it! Thanks in advance!

You can see a video of this behaviour below:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EAhzWR8iKuZkn9-656fS5j-ladR8vSeR/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not seeing this using a mac with a mouse. Are you using a Wacom tablet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this exactly same issue, someone know how to fix this? It's quite annoying have my brush cursor replaced by my mouse cursor everytime

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2020 Jun 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, are you on 21.2? on Mac? Pc? which OS version?
Using a tablet? if on windows: using Windows INK or WinTab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on Windows 10, using a Wacom Intuos Pro, PS 21.2
I'm not using Windows Ink, but I tried with windows Ink too and still happens

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If anyone is having the same issue I finally solved. Just turn off "Tip Double Click Distance" on Wacom Pen settings.

Capturadetela20201021201508-1a420d33-3bae-4acf-8d92-118866f10aaa-1586840776.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2020 Nov 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
For 2 months now I've had a problem with Photoshop while drawing with my Cintiq Wacom 22HD Touch. While using masks in Photoshop, my brush cursor turns into a mouse cursor while drawing causing it to not work well. But when I draw with the mask switch off or on a new layer without the mask, it works properly. It's quite annoying since working with masks is very useful. I've tried everything I could think of so far - reinstalling Photoshop, reinstalling Cintiq drivers and many other solutions I could find on the Internet, but he problem is still there. Could you please fix it or tell me how to fix it? I have Windows 10 (always up to date). Attached is the video how the problem looks like. https://youtu.be/lzlVaFU48ls (<--- adding a link to the video since for some reson it cannot be open full screen from the video below)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exactly the same issue, so it's still not fixed, just posted about the issue here as well :(. In my case switching off the tip double click distance didn't work. Still the mouse cursor shows up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having exactly the same issue, so it's still not fixed. It happens on Windows 10. Here is my video of how the problem looks like: https://youtu.be/lzlVaFU48ls . It makes using masks useless, please fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@pierre_courtejoie I still have exactly the same issue. Just updated Photoshop to the new 2021 version but the issue still exists. It's really annoying and making it impossible to work with Photoshop while using masks. It's been for a couple of months now! Here is the video of the issue visible: https://youtu.be/lzlVaFU48ls . I have Wacom Cintiq 22HD and using up to date both Photoahop and Windows 10 working with Windows ink

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I still having this issue sometimes 😕
I notice this only happens in documents with Artboards and in masked layers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this only happen using the stylus on your Cintiq? Or does it happen using a standard mouse or the trackpad if the system is a laptop?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry I work on a PC, not on a laptop and I tried unplagging the mouse and the keyboard and even the second screen and the issue is still happening even without them, so it's not that I'm afraid. I saw other people here having the same issue like I have (one even for 10 month now!), so I think it's quite a common bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. If you eliminate the stylus from the equation and just use a standard mouse, does it happen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry Also I tried other graphic softwares and the problem is only when working with Photoshop using masks and quick selection tool that the cursors change into a mouse cursor for no reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry  Just have tried it and yes, it also happens when drawing with my mouse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@leonardo_cal_a Yes, exactly! And I'm also having the same issue when using a quick selection tool, though it's even more hardcore there, because it automatically turns into a mouse cursor every time. It drives me crazy since I work with Photoshop every day in my job and it makes the work so annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. Thanks. Need to talk with our painting folks to see if we can reproduce. I couldn't repro on my Surface Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, thank you! If they don't reproduce it, I'm ready to help with that, feel free to contact me, so maybe I could share my screen or anything else to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've logged a bug on this.  Thank you for reporting this and providing a video (very helpful). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, truly appreciate it, hope it will be fixed soon :)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry Yes, I am using an intuos pro. This issue exists on both mac & pc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 01, 2021 Mar 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here when trying to paint. Had enough of dealing with Windows ink for years and now this. Always feel like I'm fighting Adobe products to get them to work (thanks for bringing Windows ink to Substance painter....)

I'm using a Wacom Cintiq, windows 10. Constant flicker of the damn mouse cursor when trying to paint. Switching to crosshair appears to fix it but I need to see the brush.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have same issue. Windows 10, Wacom Intuos Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Meekon *Cinco Llagas  Does this still happen if you turn off "Tip Double Click Distance" on Wacom Pen settings as suggested above?  

We do have a bug logged on this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate