• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New Document dialog issues

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2016 Nov 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not only that the new 2017 "New Document"-Dialog has a poor GUI-performance (Windowsx64, 64GB ram, gtx1060, ssd) because of all the unnecessaray cloud-stuff it really slow downs my workflow because of this:
It's not possible to confirm the dialog via "Enter". So STRG+N for a new document and then "Enter"-Key doesnt work any more.

Could you please fix that? I went back to the old dialog since it works there - also its super fast and slick.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020
The New Document dialog is much faster in Photoshop 2020. You can of course, go back to the original dialog (Preferences > General > Use Legacy New Document Interface)

Votes

Translate

Translate
25 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing the same issues on mac. I have to wait a second before I can create a new document while I wait for all the "extra features" to load.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. It's totally awful. It would be better to offer the new 2017 'New Document' as an optional thing and keep the legacy version as the standard option. Something akin to Save vs Save As

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I used to be able to create a new document in a flash. Now it's an extremely slow process!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 15, 2016 Dec 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fortunately I found a way to revert to the "old" new document dialogue in the preferences. It's in the "General" tab called "Use Legacy New Document Interface". I hope that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 28, 2017 Feb 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to kill the updated "New Document" window as well.

Simply pressing Control+N would often do nothing, requiring multiple presses.
If it did work, it was taking 10 - 15 seconds for Control+N to bring the window up.
The UI was extremely slow and unresponsive.

At some point a person employed by Adobe with the power to say no took at look at this thing and said "This is an improvement and is ready to released"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesse... you're a lifesaver. This was doing my head in...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2017 Mar 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recently upgraded to Photoshop 2017, and the new 'new document' dialogue is awful.

Tabbing through it to input sizes & so forth is a mess. Everything is low-contrast and placed in what appears to be random order. The 'recently used' sizes is not terribly helpful - for web/3D work where sizes are rarely the same it takes up a huge amount of visual clutter for limited or no benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on, guys!The new Cmd+N dialog window is just awful. It is unnecessarily heavy and takes ages to load. It really makes life worse and slows me down even on a fast Core i7 machine.

It is a very obvious thing. Please give me the old quick and simple interface and don't change things for the very sake of changes. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also hate the updated new document dialog. I set preferences to use the legacy version. I just about ripped all of my hair out today, though, because it was setting new documents to the wrong pixel dimensions when I input length and width in inches and resolution as 300 ppi. Someone on the forum figured out that it is being translated into centimeters instead of inches, but I have only selected inches. Totally strange. I can select US Letter and the adjust dimensions, and it works, but otherwise it somehow converts to a centimeter-based version. I discovered this when I tried to copy layers from one 8.5x5.5 document into a new one, and the graphics came in smaller on the new, identically-sized document. The pixel difference is a multiple of 2.54, which is the proportional difference between inches and centimeters. So legacy new document needs fixing, and the new version is horrible in and of itself... slows me down every time I need to create a new doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The dialog window loses focus when opening, so I can't control it with keyboard.
I can't even to confirm the dialog by press Enter. This is unacceptable!

Photoshop CC 2017 Windows 10 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I discovered this when I tried to copy layers from one 8.5x5.5 document into a new one, and the graphics came in smaller on the new, identically-sized document. The pixel difference is a multiple of 2.54, which is the proportional difference between inches and centimeters. So legacy new document needs fixing, a>

I'm trying to replicate this — I use the legacy New Document and haven't noticed a problem with it — but normally I input dimensions as pixels. I've tried inputting dimensions in inches instead of pixels, but when I create a 2nd document using the same setting, the dimensions are identical, and the same image duplicated to the new document  comes in at the same size.

Is it possible your preferences have become corrupt? Have you tried with fresh prefs, or even a fresh launch? I've had odd things happen that a cold boot fixed before. I'm on a Mac running El Capitan, btw. Sometimes the OS makes a difference in outcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a second round of resetting preferences, it worked. Totally strange.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 20, 2017 May 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just good that it was an easy fix. Corrupt Preferences can do strange things indeed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 18, 2017 Aug 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to say I'm glad I'm not the only one who is frustrated with the new dialogue interface. My frustrations are it never seems to load the option where I can create a document the same dimension as an item copied to the clipboard or an already open document. I swear it was so much easier to use and better previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2018 Mar 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesse - you have been a great help - was up against deadlines on a bid and I just wanted to copy something to clipboard to quickly edit it in photoshop.  Many thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hate, hate, HATE the new dialog for "New Document". It is one of the worst examples of bad user interface I have ever seen, and it stifles the creative process.

The old dialog was absolutely fine as it was. It was fast, elegant, and simple. And you could create a new document almost instantly by hitting Enter.

Adobe: GET RID OF THIS MONSTROSITY!

I should note that I got rid of the new dialog WITHOUT even changing the Prefs! What happened is I noticed there were a bunch of strange Adobe processes running in my system tray (probably things to do with Creative Cloud, which I don't use). I deleted all these junk programs, and the new "New Document" dialog disappeared along with them! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Psssst: Go to Preferences> General> Use Legacy New Document. You don't need to restart to have the change in prefs work.  A lot of us ignore the new New Document dialog.

It might not be so truly awful if the generic huge thumbnails actually previewed the document you were selecting, or if our own templates could be included with a preview, but every type of document looks identical to every other type. Only their Stock templates get an actual preview.

And you still can't see all the Background Contents options unless you know to enlarge the dialog even more. Having anything hidden under Advanced Options doesn't make any sense, either. But. . . there is a solution.

I just saw your edit. Let's hope none of the "junk" programs  are needed for any of the features. I know others who have managed to selectively cull some.  Preferences is safer for most of us, so I wouldn't recommend to the lot of us we delete any junk programs as a general rule for getting rid of unwanted features.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't recommend deleting components. You may be deleting something that is necessary for the applications to function properly - and may cause problems when/if there is an update.

Please use the preference under Preferences > General...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply, Mr Tranberry, and I take your advice on board.

What I will say, with great respect, is that a lot of the additional processes seem to relate to online operations, which for me is totally redundant as I don't allow my computer to connect to the internet. I don't like the idea of my computer going online without express permission, and I find it very creepy when applications call home. The only program my firewall allows online is my web browser. Plus, I travel a lot and don't always have access to the internet. Last year I didn't have any internet for about 9 months.

I still vehemently oppose the introduction of CC, and, if given no other choice, I can happily go back to my copy of CS6. I like installing software manually from a CD in a box. I feel like I truly own it and no one can take it away from me. I rarely install new updates, being of the view that "If it ain't broke...".

But I am probably not a typical user so take these comments for what they're worth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 17, 2018 Dec 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a preference for this as well. Go to Preferences > Plug-ins... and disable Allow Extension Panels to connect to the internet or disable extension panels altogether under the same panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 18, 2018 Dec 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr Tranberry, thank you very much for your replies. I hope I don't come across as grumbly and ungrateful - I love Photoshop and I just want it to be right. (I guess we all do.)

Anyway, instead of moaning about the new 'New Document' dialog, I've decided to try to offer something more constructive. I'm going to break down all the specific problems I have with it, offer specific solutions, and come up with my own re-design of the interface. I'll post back here in a couple of days...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 03, 2019 Jan 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I said I'd get back about this. Been a bit busy over Christmas but here we go...

First, here are...

Eight specific criticisms of the "New Document" dialog (with corresponding solutions):

Problem 1 - Speed
Obviously, the speed issue. It takes maybe 10 seconds to open, and you can no longer just hit enter like you used to.

Solution: I'm sure these performance problems will be addressed in time, if they haven't already been.

Problem 2 - Space allocation
The new dialog gives way more prominence (in terms of space and location) to the presets, rather than the actual key document properties that we need to see about the document. The key document properties are now pushed over to the side, almost like they don't matter.

Solution: Make the key document properties more central and larger.

Problem 3 - Presets seem mandatory
By placing all of its emphasis on the presets, the new dialog gives the impression that you must select a preset before you can make a new document. This is confusing and jarring to anyone who has no interest in presets and just wants to open a new document the conventional way.

Solution: The interface should make it very clear that presets are an optional alternative, rather than mandatory.

Problem 4 - Confusing interface
The interface is confusing to use. There are three different panels (top, left and right) with no clear relationship between the three. In fact, the top panel only relates to the left panel, however, it's placed above the right panel, causing confusion.

Solution: Lay out the three panels in a way that makes their relationship clear. The top panel should be within the left panel, to indicate the relationship.

Problem 5 - Confusion between presets and templates
At first I had no idea that "preset" and "template" meant two different things. Then I discovered that Photoshop now lets you download ready-made template documents, which is totally different to classic presets. I find the terms "preset" and "template" confusing and ambiguous, especially in the way they're presented. Also, to me, they seem like two totally different things that have no reason to share a menu. Templates are a creative resource and not something people normally think about when they're opening a new document.

Solution: Remove the ambiguity between "presets" and "templates" by having templates their own separate menu.

Problem 6 - Confusing tooltip
When the program first launched, a tooltip appeared in the New Document dialog, saying:

"Let's start something new. Start with your own document settings, pre-formatted document presets, or explore some of our helpful templates and starter files."

This is very difficult to understand and doesn't give any indication whatsoever about the difference between templates and presets, nor even that they're two different things.

Solution: Tool tips should use short, simple sentences that are easy to understand. If new terminology is used, then the meaning of these terms should be clearly and explicitly defined.

Problem 7 - Inappropriate thumbnails
The various presets are represented by grids of tiled "thumbnails" (simple gray placeholder graphics). Frankly, this is a terrible way to represent this kind of information. There's nothing graphical about these presets, so the "thumbnails" serve no purpose, other than to fill the 'New Document' interface with a sea of dull gray placeholder images that mean nothing to anyone. Furthermore, arranging them in a grid of square tiles forces the actual key information (the text description) to be both small and short. This isn't the right way to represent this kind of information.

Solution: The presets would be much better arranged in a conventional list format

Problem 8 - Unclear icons
This is a very minor point, but the new portrait and landscape icons aren't distinct enough from each other - they both look quite square.

Solution: Make the icons more distinct.

Finally, putting all this together, I present you with...

My humble suggestion for how the New Document dialog should look:

(And, yes, as you may have noticed, I use Windows 7 with the traditional dark-on-light interface. Frankly, I would rather shoot myself than downgrade to Windows 10. And as for Adobe's depressing, sinister light-on-dark interface, I hate it, and I begrudge the fact that Premiere and After Effects force it upon users, with no dark-on-light option any more. But I digress... LOL)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 02, 2020 Jan 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just found this to work in cc2020 too -  wonderful and thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2020 Jan 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The New Document dialog is much faster in Photoshop 2020. You can of course, go back to the original dialog (Preferences > General > Use Legacy New Document Interface)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Mar 12, 2020 Mar 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you sir for the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate