• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: New user interface lacks contrast and many usability cues, lots of other problems

Enthusiast ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to Photoshop CC(2015) version 2015.1. Adobe changed the UI to the flat look you see on phones and tablets. I do not see any way to select the classic interface, which I'm sure many desktop users of PS prefer.

This feels yet another attempt by Adobe to be trendy without caring about what users want or need. Didn't they learn anything from the dumbed-down Lightroom import fiasco?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 02, 2016 Nov 02, 2016
Hi everyone,

Adobe has released Photoshop CC 2017 today. This update contains the following 4 specific updates from this thread:

1) A new user preference to change the highlight color from grey to blue 
2) Increased contrasts of the lightest 3 color stops
3) Edit controls and popup/edit controls now have frames instead of underlines
4) The character panel is cleaner, divider lines removed for easier visibility

Thanks,
Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 672 Replies 672
672 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see how this is a problem when there are actual problems with the basic functionality of the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

changing the appearance of the interface isn't the same as taking out features.

did you complain about the sky falling when they added the darker interface too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like thousands of other customers, I complained about the change to the Lightroom import interface. I'd like to think that had some impact because Adobe removed it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the new ui is not good, not good at all.

One example is using Grey for the highlight color in the layers panel.

Click on Quick Mask Mode and one has a hard time telling by the look of the layers panel whether Quick Mask Mode is enabled or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like improvements but I don’t think this look good at all.

Was there a very good reason for changing it? Was the most important thing to make it more user-friendly and clear?

I work many hours in PS almost every day so it’s a very important tool and I guess for many others who use it in their work. A clear user interface and a legible typeface is very essential, at least for me.

Many of the icons don’t look clear enough (tools icons, the ”eye” in layers to mention some). The icons have a lot of different line widths, I think this makes the GUI messy.

The typeface looks similar to Apple’s San Francisco. I guess the reason is to look familiar, it’s a good thought, but I don’t think it works very good in PS. In my opinion the font is too wide and a bit thin. It’s also odd that the ”old” typeface remains in some places, the ”headlines” of Window items (3D, Actions, Adjustments... etc).

The type ”OK, Cancel, Prev, Next” in Preferences are not even centered in the ”buttons”. And why are the line around ”OK” only a tiny bit thicker than the others, almost not visible?

For me it’s difficult to read white type on dark gray or black so I have been using the light gray color theme. But now everything just looks flat (too narrow value between gray tones) and it’s very hard to get a simple and clear overview of all settings, percent of opacity etc, etc. There is no ”separation” between the content.

I hope there is still some work to do, to make this better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe team

I usually give a new software GUI (or update) a weeks worth of use before giving it the thumbs up or down.
After about eight hours in Photoshop and Illustrator I feel pretty confident in describing the 2015.1 GUI changes as a bizarre gaffe.

This is not ment as a snide comment, but was this new GUI actually tested on any substantial UX test group? And if so, did any of them have less than perfect eye sight?
Patriks comments above pretty much sum up the new GUI's usability issues.

Please bring back the previous GUI ASAP.

Yours sincerely etc ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See link below to revert to original PS CC 2015.

https://forums.adobe.com/message/8236012

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new flat GUI simply doesn't work :(

Please bring back the previous GUI ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just awful, I'm only able to move about due to muscle memory of where stuff is. This UI is like flying blind. I feel really bad for any newbies just learning with this as their first experience. I'd be lost if I had to start on this version. There's no more affordance around anything to infer it's purpose (is it a text field that I type in or a button I click on?). If I didn't know to expect where the magic wand tool was, I'd have no idea what that new icon is.

It feels like an old man trying to be hip. "Oh you kids these days, you like that flat design, eh? Yeah I can do that, look, I'm hip, I'm cool".

steve buscemi as a high school student

You're not fooling anyone, either change it back to the status quo or change it to something that is an actual improvement. All I ask is for the same or better. If you can't do better than what you took 3 decades to craft, then don't change it. It really was good. This is objectively bad. The rounded corner buttons are ugly, but at least I know they're buttons. Most of the program feels unusable. And it doesn't even feel like a program anymore, it feels like an App. Which by their very nature are not powerful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We really need an option to allow a return to the 'classic' UI. Such a major change for those of us who've been using PS for decades is too jarring. I've just retired from commercial photography and am questioning my need for Photoshop. Such a significant change only serves to help in my decision making process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those of us who have, for decades, been using Photoshop, the new UI is too jarring.

We really need an option to choose a 'Classic' UI.

I've recently retired from commercial photography and am trying to decide whether I need Photoshop. This change is helping my decision making process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe folks,

Please be kind to us all working guys and bring back the old interface. Or at least give us a choice. That way you will be able to get rid of the new one in a year or two without losing face, and without anybody shedding crocodile tears over its demise.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 04, 2015 Dec 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New interface is really ugly, very close to unusable. What is happening to dev. team recently? After that Lightroom Import fiasco, they keep on making the same mistakes. People actually pay Adobe, why behave so outrageous?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I especially agree with: "There is no ”separation” between the content."

Take the Character Window for example.
Why is the background of the entry(/Drop down) boxes grey?
The dropdown box for the language and antialiasing are much clearer to me.

A flat UI is not necessarily a good thing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fully agree...the new interface is DISGUSTING. Send the designer(s) back to school.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree. More hipster-flat-design-stuff - less usebilty. More Marketing - less customer needs. What ever it is good for - not for us, the designers. But we have to pay for it - every month. That is modern business. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New UI is better. More contrast, less pixel trash gradients, useless input fields and ect. More contrast numbers and icons. And all this grumbling are nothing as a resistance to change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Inability to understand or easily navigate a UI isn't a failure of the user.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very BAD interface. Photoshop - it's PROFESSIONAL instrument, not for mainstream, geeks or teenagers with IPhones, and you must respect your users. If you wish to add new functionality - do it, please, but allow professional users keep earn money and do everyday job, instead of wasting time with this "fancy" interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe!

Bring back the old look and feel of the user interface, this is to hard to SEE, READ, and FOCUS on when your trying to do actual production work in Photoshop for 8 - 10 hrs a day. I’ve been using photoshop for 20+ years and have seen a few things you have changed along the way that I might not have agreed with but this is COMPLETELY STUPID!

NEVER been so DISAPPOINTED in an update as this Photoshop cc2015.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The poorly centered text on buttons bugs me, too. Also, replacing the white boxes of input fields with a black line is a big step backward, since it's harder to tell at a glance where to click. It almost makes it look like everything is grayed out and unavailable.

The toolbar icons don't have the same style throughout. Most of them are bold and dark gray, but there are still some like the Ruler, Smudge and Healing Brush that retain the thinner lines with subtle shading. Generally, I like the old style icons better, but the new bold ones aren't that bad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The UGLINESS of the latest PS CC version is astounding. Please send the designer(s) back to design school and learn how to shape an attractive interface. Even the tool icons are UGLY. All the dialog boxes are UGLY. Bring back the previous interface.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, this is garbage. (And I like the flat style. When done well.)

Seems like Adobe isn't practicing what they sell. These apps should be beautiful in their design.

It's not like they don't have the software...

I'd be fired if I presented this crap.

And we pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,
today I made the update for the new Photoshop CC Version. After several updates with new technical gadgets und cool tools, now adobe has changed the interface.
More flat design, more purity, more APP style ... I can imagine why they have changed it - but I have to work with photoshop everyday and for me it is a big loss of usebility and comfort and it is not possible to change it back.

What do you think?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you guys already think that THIS is flat, you should take a look at the new "design space". I`d be curious, what you think about that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate