• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No image preview on Open dialog box on Windows

LEGEND ,
May 22, 2012 May 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The preview window in the "Open" dialog box on Windows is gone in Photoshop. So if I click on a PSD file (once) to preview it, there isn't one. I have to completely open the file or go digging for it in Bridge. This is a very fundamental feature that needs to return, especially for those of us that have hundreds of files to dig through. PLEASE fix this.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 680 Replies 680
680 Comments
Participant ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Uran1c! Doing this made SageThumbs work on my PSD files:

Go to SageThumbs options, select "Prefer image file embedded thumbnails" and set "Maximum size of image file" to 200 or 1000 MB. Enjoy.

Actually, there was one more step I had to do: Clear Cache

After that, I now see thumbnails for my PSD files. Thanks!

BTW, download the latest version of SageThumbs from the new official site:

http://www.cherubicsoft.com/en/projects/sagethumbs

Cheers,

Michael J Titera

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2015 Nov 22, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I miss the PS preview. I see I am not the only one. BRING BACK THE PREVIEW in the Open Dialogue...

It was there forever, and now it is not.

I don't care why you think it should be gone, but it needs to come back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2015 Nov 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh wow, thank you all so much!  I've been driving myself nuts ever since CS6 trying to find a way to get previews back because the amount of time I was wasting either in Bridge or opening every file was insane.  Sage thumbs worked perfectly! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 01, 2015 Dec 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Unik,

Check out the latest release. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. 8-)

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is a patch for CS6 forthcoming?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Howdy Omega,

No, we're no longer updating CS6.

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 02, 2015 Dec 02, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, Am I missing something? After I saw this post yesterday I immediately updated my CC, yet this morning when I attempted to be pleasantly surprised, nothing :-(

I sure hope whatever you are referring to is supported on PC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is how I solved the problem. It lets you see all PSD files.
http://tumasoft.com/shoppe/product.ph...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a great work-around to the problem. I now see all of my PSD files. It saved my sanity, it took forever to find the correct file before. A Thumbnail Viewer.
http://tumasoft.com/shoppe/product.ph...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kimi, but I already pay too much for CC, the least they can do is give us this basic functionality without a need for a third party app. (not to mention corporate constraints)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Marcel,

Are you running English, French, German, or Japanese Photoshop?  If so, then on launch, you should have the new Start interface which gives previews of our PSD files.  Are you not seeing this?

Thanks,
David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running English, updated just yesterday afternoon, and according to CC suite, currently up to date as of 20 seconds ago. I do get a welcome screen (if I enable it), but no Start interface.

Shall I assume that if I ever get a Start interface, that I'll also get thumbnails in the open dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before loading a document, select Start from the Workspace dropdown. The interface displays Recent files thumbnails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 03, 2015 Dec 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gary, but apparently the latest update hasn't pushed itself to my system yet, even with the help of Adobe support we couldn't force it. Apparently Adobe uses a gradual rollout method, and I seem to be lower priority (event tho I'm part of Adobe's largest customer)

Back to my other question, shall I assume that if I ever get a Start interface, that I'll also get thumbnails in the open dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe David is touting the new Start interface, but the latest release does not resolve the issue of thumbnails in the Windows open dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So David is asking us to look at a new feature which does not solve the issue in this thread? Yet someone also marked the problem as Solved??!! (yet initially they claimed it 'wasn't a problem'). Ouch, not cool Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop uses the OS's dialog for File > Open.  Because of this, or rather because the OSes no longer support the thumbnails embedded in PSDs, we've tried to offer users the very same functionality through a different mechanism over which we do have control.  We've tried to solve this other ways, but do to technical limitations imposed externally, this is the best we can legally do.

For a number of reasons, the new Start workspace is only available in US English, Continental French, German, and Japanese.  So if you're not running one of those specific languages, you won't see it.  Are you perhaps running International, Arabic-enabled, or Hebrew-enabled English?  Are you sure about your version number?  You can check it via Help > System Info -- it should be 2015.1 aka 20151114.r.301

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

Are you saying that Adobe couldn't create a codec in the same way that camera manufactures do so that Windows can display thumbnails for their file types?

Nikon, for example has a Windows codec for it's NEF file type:
http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We created a codec years ago, and found several unavoidable OS bugs which Microsoft has yet to address, so we had to discontinue our codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that other media formats have been successful at creating codecs for their file formats in Windows. Is Adobe actively working with Microsoft to resolve the roadblocks? Is this an issue in the MAC OS as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 07, 2015 Dec 07, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with Photoshop all day, every day, and I have a lot of files saved as PSD's, to ensure I don't lose my hard work. It can take up to an hour to sift through various PSD files until I find the right one, which, since I try to complete each project as quick as possible, if you add up all of the times it's taken me to find what I need, becomes a serious problem. It is hindering me to have to open every file individually.

I am a consumer. This is a product that I have paid for. I find it very frustrating, because I rely on the products functionality to complete my compositions. Simply labeling files accordingly doesn't help much, because I don't have enough characters to accurately describe what it is I am looking at.

I highly doubt I'm the only person who feels this way, clearly; there are most likely hundreds of others, who simply haven't taken the time to review, that find this lack of service to be incredibly irritating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 14, 2015 Dec 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently some installs of CC have auto updates disabled behind the scenes, for what reason I haven't a clue since it seems to go against what Cloud stands for. Long story short I finally managed to disable the disable and now have the most recent version of photoshop installed.

This feature of a start workspace, or even the recent workspace, might be useful if it was able to display thumbnails for files created in versions even a single point release older, but it can't. Meaning only brand new files are supported, which means hunting through our 1,000's of legacy files is still difficult.

Further, as suggested above, document thumbnails still aren't available in the open dialog, so this thread should NOT be flagged as solved, since it isn't. Stop blaming limitations or more recently legal (since that's bull), and devise your own open dialog like you use to. Remember, anything is possible, and since document thumbnails were possible in 13 versions of photoshop, we've lived it so we know. Do something for your customers for once. Find a way to include this in your 'agile' planning or whatever the latest development trend you follow.

Oh, and BTW, the reason the little guys are starting to kick butt is because they listen AND react to their users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering there is at least one functional PSD codec available from third parties, I have to wonder what kind of developers Adobe is employing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it would be wise to pull the "solved" flag off this thread. It is not solved at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. And the flag probably never will be pulled, judging from the Adobe responses to this thread. Always "no way". Where's the innovation and where's the respect for long-time Photoshop users? Long gone, it seems. You'd think a company that could develop Photoshop over the years could think of a cure for this ailment, wouldn't you?

Votes

Translate

Translate