• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: No red preview when changing brush size

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just downloaded the new photoshop update (22.01) and I noticed there is no classic red area when you change Brush size and feathering (when using keyboard shortcut OPTION+CONTROL). 

it is quite frustrating

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Thanks for reporting this issue. This issue was fixed in 22.1.1 which released late last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 319 Replies 319
319 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the identical issue.

This occurs on both my computers (2017 iMac, Big Sur, and 2010 MacPro, Mojave).

I am familiar with another user having the same experience.

Brush preview works normally in Photoshop 2020. In the preferences for version 2021 there are still choices for color of the brush preview in the Cursors section, and a checkbox for HUD movement in the Tools section.

This leads me to believe there is simply a bug causing the preview to not appear when using version 22.0.1.

Anyone else out there having this problem? I have not seen any online response from Adobe regarding this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the identical issue.

This occurs on both my computers (2017 iMac, Big Sur, and 2010 MacPro, Mojave).

I am familiar with another user having the same experience.

Brush preview works normally in Photoshop 2020. In the preferences for version 2021 there are still choices for color of the brush preview in the Cursors section, and a checkbox for HUD movement in the Tools section.

This leads me to believe there is simply a bug causing the preview to not appear when using version 22.0.1.

Anyone else out there having this problem? I have not seen any online response from Adobe regarding this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2020 Nov 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Larry

First, thank you for pointing out that it does not occur in 2020. I am kicking myself for not thinking of that! It's still on my system and, as you say, the HUD works fine!

I am quite happy to go back to 2020, as for my type of work (compositing) the 2021 improvement are, for the most part, more in the nature of Bells & Whistles. I'll exchange the neural filters for a working HUD any day.

Since it is now clearly version specific I agree with you this does look bug like. What I find odd is that it appeared out of the blue from one moment to the next. 2021 worked fine until yesterday. Does Adobe do automatic minor updates in background?

So like Larry I am keen to know if we are lone sufferers. Any one else suffering this?

Now an ignorant question: How do I report a suspected bug to Adobe?  Is there a specified way of doing this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the exact problem, it started after the latest update. I came here looking for a solution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's looking increasingly bug like. The only solution at the moment seems to be go back to CS 2020 for general work until this is sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pushing back to the last version 21.0.0 until Adobe gets around to fixing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Please fix in

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2020 Nov 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem with a supported card (nvidia gtx 1050 ti)
Please fix it ASAP

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Mac os 10.14.6, Photoshop 20201

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue. The only changes to my PC between the time it last worked and today was upgrading Malwarebytes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 23, 2020 Nov 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to add, i DONT have this issue. 2020 imac, big sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quite interesting 🤔 I have a 2018 15" MacBook Pro and I am a bit worried to update to Big Sur: do you face some kind of lag or something using Lightroom, Photoshop or Mac in general?

Thank you 😊 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. Mine actually started to "glitch". Had several color lines across the image when adjusting something, or that the image started to disappear when adjusting color. Also when scolling in bridge!

The machine needed to go for a fan repair, when it came back it had gone away. Not sure how, maybe I updated ps, or the mac os. (after long testing, they said it was not the machine).

But still, when adding a gradient, it would pixelate when moving. Some square had 0 effect with the adjustment, only when moving.

Selective color would lag, the top color would lag much more than the ones underneath.

This behaviour occurred in 100% view, but also everything other than i think it was 64 or 65%, after an update I needed to go further out to 50%.

(i also found a thread about this issue)

I thankfully found my solution. Ps on my machine cant run in default resolution. The problem is with the retina somehow.

I downloaded switchResX, that automatically switches it every time I open ps. 

Standard i run 2560. For ps (in switchresx) I chose 2304 WITH Hidipi or 2550 WITHOUT the Hidipi.

In short I either get the same size without the retina, or a different size with the retina. 

I could see the different, with retina is more crispy. So I choosed the 2304 with hidipi.

I really dont know much about this stuff with resolution. Maybe the term retina is not correct, but its a form for higher quality i guess (macs standard)

Lightroom is running all good. 10 version. I read that photoshop uses more GPU than lightroom. My tough was problem with the gpu. I have the top tier with 16gb gpu, and was devastated when it didn't work.

The new imac with this confg. have already had documented problems with the gpu.

Im really happy to see that everything works! No lag, and I dont need to zoom way out to make any adjustments.

Until know at least, I havent had any issues.

Hope it could help if you run into the same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

usually, this feature is activated by activating the Graphics processing setting in the performance preferences.

Although it has been activated and the graphics drivers updated, it is still hidden. 

notice that some other features in photoshop depend on graphics processing OpenGL still works fine like the rotate view tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 24, 2020 Nov 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LadyNinja  Which version of Photoshop are you using? Because this issue appeared with version 22.0.1 and has nothing to do with Big Sur. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm, this must be a bug. I have the red overlay in 2020 but it's been missing since 2021. I've triple-checked the preferences, deleted the preferences etc. but the red overlay won't show. Glad I'm not alone, but fearful Adobe won't fix this anytime soon. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated to 22.0.1 last week and the red overlay preview has also gone missing 😞

adobe plssssssssse FIX

still running Mojave on  iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm experiencing this issue too - just updated from 22.0.0 to 22.0.1, and the red overlay for size and hardness is gone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as all other folks.... Seems like Adobe could have fixed this issue by now??

I'm on Mac with 10.15.7 and Photoshop 22.0.2..... 

When changing size of the brush the red overlay is now missing ... which as we all know makes it a little harder to adjust brush softness/hardness on the fly...

No its not the "Caps Key"... The only way it works for me is to roll back at least two versions... As a side note... I notices about two versions ago that I lost the ability to program my Wacom Pen with a macro to adjust brush size... and now with the newer Photoshop updates I've lost the Red Preview sizing overlay all together??? Hopefully this will be fixed Please!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as all other folks.... Seems like Adobe could have fixed this issue by now??

When changing size of the brush the red overlay is now missing ... which as we all know makes it a little harder to adjust brush softness/hardness on the fly...

No its not the "Caps Key"... The only way it works for me is to roll back at least two versions... As a side note... I notices about two versions ago that I lost the ability to program my Wacom Pen with a macro to adjust brush size... and now with the newer Photoshop updates I've lost the Red Preview sizing overlay all together??? Hopefully this will be fixed Please!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue as a lot of other folks....I'm on Mac with 10.15.7 and Photoshop 22.0.2..... When changing size of the brush in Photoshop the red overlay is now missing ... as we all know this makes it a lot slower to adjust hardness and softness of the brush on the fly. No, it is not the "Caps Lock Key".... I believe in my case this started with V22....  The only way I can use this feature is to roll back at least two versions. On a side note I notice about 3 versions ago I lost the ability to program my Wacom pen (with short wacom macro) to adjust brush size and softness on the fly which was a super handy feature.... but I'll settle for just having the overlay back... Please!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The brush HUD will not appear, but the HUD color picker and the color picker will not appear either.
2033037755257-7af3cab6-5679-48c8-8658-0240bf3c756e-1835367474.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JeffreyTranberry thank you! Just spent too much time, including reseting my preferences, to fix this.

FWIW, the Preview Color option is still showing in cursor preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Dell XPS 17.

Votes

Translate

Translate