• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Performance problems iMac Retina 5k

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2015 Jan 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using the new imac retina, and i have enormous problems with the performance of Photoshop. If i for example use the selective color correction, this does not run smoothly. Other functions also work delayed. I noticed if i do not use Photoshop in full screen mode, everything goes back to normal. A friend used the predecessor model imac without 5k resolution, but has no problems. I suspect Photoshop has problems with the resolution of 5k. I hope Adobe fix this problems because Photoshop works slow and delayed, the performance is terrible. I bought the retina iMac 5k, since my previous mac is getting old and slow. But now is it so, that my new retina iMac, run equal slowly as my old iMac. Adobe please fix this problems, so i cannot work.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 105 Replies 105
105 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manuel,

Let's start with a simple question:  what version of Photoshop are you using?

Have you tried changing the display preferences in Performance preferences to try Basic or Normal instead of Advanced?  I'll try to reproduce this myself first thing tomorrow morning when I have access to the 5K iMac again.  With any luck we can figure out a way to get performance back to what you'd expect asap.

Thanks,
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam, Thanks for the quick reply.
I'm using the latest version of Photoshop CC 2014 2.2.
This solution which you describe here, has been already said to me the Adobe Support. I already tried it with multiple options and settings. Unfortunately, this solution did not yield any improvement. The main problem is that the changes (for example the selective color correction) didn't work 1 to 1 as usually, but with delay.

I've noticed that these delays will occur only if the images or graphics have a size about 3.700 * 5.000px. If the resolution is smaller (for example 1.500*2.500px), the delay is not so strong.
Also when i'm zoomed in the picture, works delayed. If i zoom out far, then works normal.

I think that the problem is the resolution of 5k. I have read in forums, that other iMac Retina 5k users, report about similar problems with Photoshop and Lightroom.

Thanks,
Manuel (sorry for my bad english 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2015 Jan 27, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Manuel,

Can you tell me more about the types of images you are using? Do they have many layers, or layer comps? What's the bit depth (8, 16, or 32bit)? Do you happen to have any other applications running at the same time as PS? I ask because I've created big files on my 5K iMac and am not seeing the performance issues you describe. I'm still convinced we can find you a solution to mitigate the performance issues you're experiencing.

Thanks,
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

when I open an image in PS i do this via lightroom. Right-click ----> edit in ----> edit with Adobe Photoshop CC or open in Photoshop as a Smartobject.
The settings for external processing in Lightroom are: PSD, 16-bit, Profoto RGB, 240 DPI. I made a quick screen shot to show you the problem better. How do you see, delayed in zoomed mode. When i zoomed out it works 1 to 1.

Dropbox Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yopkyukag1m...

I hope it helps you.

Thanks
Manuel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

when I open an image in PS i do this via lightroom. Right-click ----> edit in ----> edit with Adobe Photoshop CC or open in Photoshop as a Smartobject.
The settings for external processing in Lightroom are: PSD, 16-bit, Profoto RGB, 240 DPI. Lightroom is running at the same time as PS. But when i close LR, then is nothing better. I made a quick screen shot to show you the problem better. How do you see, delayed in zoomed mode. When i zoomed out it works 1 to 1.

Here is a screen capture with a photo when i use Lightroom: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6r79r2wmzx4...

Here is a screen capture when i draw up a color layer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yopkyukag1m...

My iMac specs are:

OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
4GhHz Intel Core i7
24GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048MB

I hope it helps you.

Thanks
Manuel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm setting up my system to try to use your exact steps, in the meantime, can you tell me if turning off Rulers (cmd-R) speeds up performance on your system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I would suggest upgrading to 10.10.2 (which was recently released) to see if that helps as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help Adam. Now i have installed the latest update 10.10.2 and tried it with cmd+r, but with no improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed something else. When i change in my display setups on my Mac the resolution from "Default for display (looks like 2.560*1.440)" to 2.048*1.152, everything runs normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 28, 2015 Jan 28, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same setup as Manuel, just Radeon 295 4GB

Maybe after upgrading to 10.10.2 is a bit better. I say, a bit. or I am getting used to it. But it is far from acceptable on such a powerful machine, though.

Strongly hope Adobe will update soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're now able to reproduce the slowdown you're seeing. Now investigating what it would take to get it working better on those devices. Stay tuned for an update soon.

Thanks,
Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds promising. The more iMacs 5k sold the better community of frustrated users who are awaiting solution

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Adam,for your efforts. I hope it will be found a solution.

Greetings,
Manuel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 29, 2015 Jan 29, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same problem. I was expecting a major improvement after upgrading to the imac 5k and lightroom is running way slower than on my old machine. Looking forward to that update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's hope Adobe gonna hear the scream for from increasing community of iMac 5k

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh yes, Lightroom is running so slow. With such a powerful mac computer, Lightroom should actually run faster, but unfortunately is not so. I hope it comes a update (or Lightroom 6) that we can exploit the full performance from this powerful iMac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Adobe will find this problem and provide an update as soon as possible. Many users have purchased a 5k imac, and there are always more. Therefore, Adobe will soon bring an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adam,

have you first information about a solution of the problem with the 5k iMac 's? Does the Adobe department works already on a solution?

Thanks
Manuel

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 12, 2015 Feb 12, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be very nice to hear !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2015 Feb 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I even face stuttering and a slowdown when working on JPG files with 2000x1400px at sRGB 8bit when ps fills the whole screen set to standard retina setting.

retina iMac 4GHz i7, 24gb RAM, Radeon R9 MX295X 4gb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're using Photoshop CC for some reason, not CC 2014.
In CC, you need to install the WhiteWindowWorkaround plugin to avoid some known MacOS issues.
Photoshop CC 2014 is what we are discussing in this topic, and it already has those workarounds in the application.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/s/peiyaw90des...

I'm Adobe Photoshop CC Version 2014.2.2 ... there's another Version called Photoshop CC 2014 Version x? I'm very confused now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, you launched Photoshop CC in the video, not CC 2014 (they have different splash screens).

Yes, CC is version 14, CC 2014 is version 15.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm really trying to make sense of what you're telling me. I reinstalled via creative cloud, my plan is active, photoshop says it's up to date, adobe says CC 2014 2.2 is the most up-to-date version ( http://blogs.adobe.com/crawlspace/201... ) which is exactly what I'm running.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fkyrm415702...

Votes

Translate

Translate