• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.0. Proof colors and rendering intent preview does not work - Windows

Guide ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When adjusting Convert to profile options in RGB document, the preview does not actually show the color change when the rendering intent is changed. They become available only after applying the profile.

The Proof colors preview also does not show the actual color changes - you can endlessly switch settings in the window and there will be no changes to the image. To see the simulation of the profile, you need to enable / disable Proof colors.

Tested on two different computers (win 10, win 11, both with the latest updates and updated drivers). I reset the Photoshop settings - it did not help. 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
36 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @jazz-y I've asked engineering to take a look. Let me know if we find other reports come in.

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just installed PS 23.0.0 on my Macbook Pro running on OS 11.6.  Soft proofing isn't working.  The image does not change at all from profile to profile.  When I select Preview, the image predictably dulls a bit but then doesn't change at all when other profiles are selected.  I read through the Adobe instructions for soft proof settings and all of my setting are correct.

Is there a fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is soft proofing still working in Photoshop 22.x on the same machine?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I printed a photo earlier this week with PS 22 and soft proofing was working then.  Unfortunately, I opted to delete 22 when I upgraded to 23.  I don't believe there've been any OS updates in the last few days and I haven't downloaded any new apps, so nothing in my system has changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Soft proofing using what profile for the soft proof? 

On this end, MacOS (actually Monterey), soft proofing works as it always has. 

You say the image "predictably dulls a bit", so it sounds like indeed, soft proofing with that profile is working. 

What color space is the document and what color space (profile) are you selecting for the soft proof? One could for example, have a document in Adobe RGB (1998) and select Adobe RGB (1998) for soft proofing and there would be no visual change, is something like that possilbe? 
If not, try disabling GPU in prefs, any difference? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi kmseaman, is thesoftproofing issue fixed you?

I see that a reply from digitaldog is marked as correct, but that reply asks questions you've not answered?

If you still have issues then I suggest that to test softproofing you select a newsprint profile [which has severe gamut restrictions of course] - then you should see big changes in appearance as long as the image has sufficient saturation to exceed the gamut of the news ICC. 

Of course make sure "preview" is checks in the view/softproof/custom "customise proof condition" dialog

Screenshot 2021-10-28 at 08.32.50.jpg

If you need an image that will definitely demonstrate characteristics of sufficient gamut perhaps try this one: https://www.colourmanagement.net/downloads/CMnet_Pixl_AdobeRGB_testimage05.zip

Please report back

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management
[please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@TheDigitalDog , @NB, colourmanagement net 

In general, everything works, but it works in a very strange way. If the document is in RGB, then I see problems (changing the color conversion parameters does not give any visible changes in the image until I turn the preview on and off). If the document is in LAB or CMYK, then everything works as it should - any change in parameters is immediately displayed in the workspace.

The video shows the essence of the problem.

There was no such problem in version 22.5.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Preview HAS to be ON for the soft proof effect to be visible. 
That's how it should be
What you see is a PREVIEW of the conversion to the destination profile. 

I hope this helps neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management [please only use the blue reply button at the top of the page, this maintains the original thread title and chronological order of posts] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! You watched the video before writing, right? 🙂

I have been using this feature for many years and know perfectly how it works. The problem does not reproduce when your document is in a non-RGB mode

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,  

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.0.1. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.0.1, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating  

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected and share your feedback with us.  

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! Update resolves the problem. Just checked on my files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed here too (wasn't working on MacOS 12.0.1 with GPU on, new version now does). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I installed the latest graphics card drivers, but even then the soft proof doesn't work. I open an image, duplicate it, do the soft proof and edit it, but when I go to see the original photo this too results with the soft proof. There are no differences between the two photos. I have installed the latest version of photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should work after the dot release from the other day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, check in Help/System info the exact version you are running. it should be 23.0.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 13, 2021 Nov 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's 23.0.1 version, but don't work! 

I open an image and duplicate it, for soft proof. The soft proof it's ok, but if I return to the original image, here too I find the soft proof applied and I can't turn it off. Maybe I should make a video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@marcop8079761 Yes. A video might help us to understand what you're seeing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The softproof, it's random. it's just to show the difference

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I confirm that my softproof behaves the same way (with enabled GPU acceleration it is applied to all open images, with disabled it works as it should - you can set your different viewing conditions for each image)

Win10 x64

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked engineering to look at the secondary issue that @marcop8079761 raises.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for reporting the issue,
We have reproduced the issue and are investigating.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found that the problem is ONLY if the file is in RGB. If the image is CMYK, LAB, etc., then the work of proof colors is completely adequate. Expected that the problem would be fixed in today's update, but no: ((((

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I use Photoshop 23.0.2 on Mac.

When I arrange any document (Arrange ---> New window for...) and turn Proof color option on in one of them (sGray in this case), Photoshop applies this option for all duplicated windows OR vice versa - it doesn't apply the option at all.

In previous versions of Ps it workes properly, but it doesn't in 23.x.x. I'm an artist and this bug doesn't allow me to control values in my art during the painting process.

Hope, you'll fix it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sorry my Bad english.

window tab -> arrange -> New window for .psdc ->

view -> proof setup -> custom ->sGray

I wanted to see sGray only new window, but Both changed together(same time).

Did i wrong setting?? what is the problem i have???

Votes

Translate

Translate