• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Photoshop 23.3 is slow and heavy

Enthusiast ,
Apr 12, 2022 Apr 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The current Photoshop version is very slow.

(It was fast and accurate until version PS 21.0.3, and the problem began after that)

1. Hand tool(=press space bar) and move area is slow (ofcousre disable panning)

2. liquify zoom(There is a delay once when zooming in more than 50%. Unconditionally, Version 21.0.3 is smooth no lag)

3. layer toggle visable slow (Ctrl + ,) its React one beat slower. (This part until version PS2015.5. 2015.5 is really fast and smooth everything. Check this.....)

I don't know why if I have to pay my monthly subscription and work harder.

Some say. Don't update it unconditionally, report people's reactions.

Yes. i do, and i did.
Always leave the previous version and update to the latest version. But I always use the previous version. It is now 2022. Until when should my working environment stay in 2015.5 Photoshop or 2020 Photoshop?

I've done dozens of reinstallations, and I've done dozens of computer formats. Regardless of the type of computer, this was a problem with the Photoshop version. It wasn't even a plug-in problem.(disable native canavs thing is already try... 😃 )

It's not abut my pc. 
I tested it on everyone's computer I know and I got the same conclusion.
(Ryzen5600x, 5900x, intel 12900k, imac, m1 mini ... etc all the same)

CHECK this , and fix Please. How many more years should I wait...?

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 131 Replies 131
131 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem .

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the only way to solve this problem is to use the old version? Why can't I work on the latest version?
I use 2015 and 2022.

2022 is installed only and cannot be used for actual operations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Jqqerry ,

Thank you for trying those different prefernces.  I have filed an internal report with our engineers.  There are a number of customers reporting similar issues.  So we are definitely looking into this with priority.

-Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Andrew Sender thanks for report. I hope it improves as soon as possible. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2022 Apr 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, curiously, it's the first version that fixes every heavy lags I had since photoshop CC ( not sure which version but it was years ago ) thanks to this new multithreading mode ( way too underrated and hided )
I can't believe we got this just now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@greg-ory  Various lags in Photoshop have come with various updates.
Acutally, There were many changes in the comfort of the work when it changed from CS version to CC version, but it was not that bad. And as time went by, the computer specifications of Adobe customers got better.
And the 2015.5 version of Photoshop is actually the last time we were able to photoshop comfortably.

Until 2018 version was okay.
However, since the introduction of a new development composite engine in 2019, everything began to be delayed from the canvas inside Photoshop. Of course, it wasn't a big delay from the beginning. But for those who have been using Photoshop for a long time, it's an intrusive delay.

And many problem was start.....(Zoom lag, Select and Mask freeze, Cursor too thin, over 30+layer in16bit incredibly slow... etc)

In fact, the bug above has not been fixed yet.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-bugs/p-weird-brush-size-animation-very-slow-using...

For example, the thread of the link was also uploaded by me, and that problem was a problem that many people have experienced since the 2017 version of Photoshop, and it was fixed not long ago. lol

Most of the 2020 versions of Photoshop were stable.(It's not as pleasant, light, and accurate as it was in the past, but there were still a lot of delays.)

But... Since 2021 again, the interval between delays has been shortened, and the feeling of delays themselves has become very heavy again.

So, What I want to say is this. It is true that there is an improvement in speed with the introduction of multi-threads and GPU composite. However, If the original speed was a sports car, now it's walking speed.

This is not a matter of computer specifications, nor is it a matter of system OS differences. Hundreds of computers and hundreds of team members shared information.

It's a problem that comes from Photoshop engine processing, so it's not something that can be solved simply by something like native canvas on/off or gp turn on/off thing.(Btw, In fact, it is also strange that some options should be turned off to improve the problem.)

Anyway... I hope it gets fixed soon...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jqqerry I understand and I'm with you with any speed improvement 🙂
Just saying that as long as I can remember, I never had such speed gain with an update. Feels like I can use Photoshop to do complex UI works again, without suffering from 2-3 sec lags when hiding / moving a layer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having similar problems and have tried all the same potential fixes.  It's really really frustrating.  The program might work normally for a short period of time and then stop responding for several minutes.  I'm really at a loss as to what to do anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Apr 30, 2022 Apr 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@greg-ory  I saw your writing well. Thank you for sharing your experience. What are your computer specifications? And what is the size of the image you usually work on? I usually work on photos with a minimum size of 6000~7000px, and in 16bit and 20 to 30 layers.

I also don't have much delay in small-sized photographs(2000~3000px), or in normaly vector-based work.

I'm curious.

@vicki degruy  I'm experiencing inconvenience like you and I feel sorry for you.

Today, I instructed my team member to test Photoshop again with a new overclocking system. I don't know if it works well in the environment we work in... And Same result, same issue.

About Maybe 5years ago?, working on large-sized images in Photoshop with a much worse computer used to exponentially increase CPU usage (70 to 80 percent share). AND Despite such high CPU usage, there was no such delay. It's just that the computer's fans are working hard. lol

But Both CPU and GPU are currently underutilized. They's very relaxed. All the computers on our team that I tested... It's a very pleasant situation. The specification of the computer is sufficient. But Photoshop doesn't use that much performance.

o I used to look for ways to force the CPU or GPU to be activated more and allocate it to Photoshop, but the results were unchanged...

And some people say that. "Use the old version."

If you enjoy Photoshop alone at home and work individually, the offer is valid and fine.

However, due to Adobe's licensing policy for companies, we inevitably have to use the latest version. Even if you want to use the old version, you can't use it. We are using the current version of 23.3.1 in tears, and I hope Adobe will consider this licensing policy. It's hard to wait for updates when you can't do this or that.

PS : btw, My other teams work with 3D CGI as well as video work.

This is a problem only with Photoshop. Photoshop also experiences delays on computers with more demanding and heavier tasks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding Liquify Zoom, I have the same issue with my new and old computer.

Disabling the "Use Graphics Processor" solves the lag problem. It's nearly instant now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@karwaiwesley  How to disable something is no longer the solution.
And if Disabling GPU acceleration causes more problems elsewhere.

I know what you say, But there's nothing we can do. You must not change any options. keep them.

The broken one needs to be repaired, and we need to be able to use our computer specifications as they are. Adobe's code is broken, so they'll fix it if you wait.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hewar you man. Definitely needs a code fix.
I haven't found any issue with disabling the GPU for photoshop, other than having slower image refresh. I do quite a bit of liquifying so it's a quick fix for me atm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 02, 2022 May 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jqqerry 
I'm working on a Ryzen 7 2700X  
64Go RAM 
Samsung pro Nvme + others Samsung fast SSDs
Geforce 1060 GTX 3Go
Windows 10 64bits

Concerning the document size, it varies
Could be big artboards ( mobile UI ) with multiple 2k*3k images with ton of layers, effects, groups, masks, smart objects.. ( that's where I had/have all the lags )
Could be simple illustrations around 5-6k with some layers..
But i'm always working in 8bits; 16bits is way too heavy compared to the benefits

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 04, 2022 May 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. I recently bought a Mac Studio MAX and I'm really unhappy with the performance of photoshop on it. It's really slow, glitches when I'm selecting menu items, takes ages to save a file - it's just pretty poor performance considering the MAC is the latest model and has plenty of RAM and GPU etc.

My system is:

MAC Studio MAX

M1 MAX chip

10 Core CPU

24 Core GPU

32GB RAM

512GB Storage

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @derekg97252592, sorry to hear about the lag issue.

Curious if you moved your account from an older computer with migrarion asst. or something like that? Could have messed with the preferences...

Let's make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale setting somewhere: 

Restore your preferences using this manual method:  

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually 

Does it work correctly? 

If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back. 

If it does solve the problem, I would like to get the folder of settings to try and figure out what is bad with them. 

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread topic is too close to my own experience.

Been using PS since version 3.5.  That includes a lot of updates, patches, and versions for both PC and MAC workstations!  I keep a current version installed via the CC subscription model.  Unfortunately, these updates tend to be glitchy, super slow to start up, and crash way too frequently for my workflow. Therefore, I keep old, but trusty Photoshop CS3 Extended installed!  Yesterday PS 23.3.1 gave me such a hassle WAITING to start, or even to open a file that I DELETED it.
If the development team would pare back the hubris of so many added-on features in an effort to reestablish Photoshop as the premiere program for people who actually make a living using the tool; oh the joy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. I am doing photo Retouch and web design.
What's interesting is that there's no big delay in vector-based work or in a relatively small web design.

But when i edit a picture, it gets too slow.

I worked on it comfortably and quickly until last year, but something's wrong. The same people taking pictures, the same cameras, and the same computers. All that's just changed is the Photoshop version. But it got too slow. Help me. My photoshop is 23.3.1. 

And just in case, I tried it with m1max, but it's just as slow as Windows. I can't raise my computer level any higher. Because it's the end of the high end.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 08, 2022 May 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess this has slowed down a lot since the introduction of neural filters.

In addition, I would like you to tell me how to disable or delete filters that are not practical or used well from the beginning when Photoshop is turned on.

I also want to fix this delay and zoom lag, and I want to use select and mask just once. Why can't I use the function that I'm supposed to use? For years...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 09, 2022 May 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good news.

I've updated Photoshop yesterday. The liquify zoom is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@karwaiwesley  There was no update in the first place.(Current version is 23.3.1.)
And my team and I have tested it and the problem remains the same. Nothing change
And this bug has been around for quite some time. In my personal opinion, next year's photoshop version will reflect bug fixes. It's an old bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am still staying at Photoshop 2019. 2019version stable for me.

Last year 2021, and this year 2022 sinbeojeon to sure I get in and test just to use 2019 and again.

What I'm curious about is this. A lot of people are asking me to keep the previous version. They say that the latest update is not the best.

So, When can I use the latest current new stable version?

I'm paying for Adobe every month, and I want at least the same speed as the Photoshop version of 2019. But it's too slow.

I've replaced computers, I've consulted a lot of people, but they're also suffering like me.

I'm really curious. Is the speed that many people praised and liked now not felt in Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 10, 2022 May 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm, the latest version (23.3.2) to which I updated 5 minutes ago is still having the same issue with zoom. This is getting super annoying now, please find a way to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE!

I tried the solution Jeffrey posted on 12 March:

"If you go to Preferences > Technology Previews... and uncheck "Enable Native Canvas Rulers" and restart Photoshop, does the problem persist?"

This helped me but only when uncheking "Deactivate Native Canvas" on the same tab. Now zooming and dragging around is much smoother, at least to a point where it is usable (not perfect).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@faith32too  The 2019 version is not really a bad choice. 2018 is more optimized, but it's a fairly stable and fast version. Cheer up. Adobe will fix it someday.

@tpuskas  Same problem. And native canvas thing is one of the ways to try and my team and I have already tried.

The problem is not solved, especially the delay of the liquify is serious.

Turning off GPU-related options or disabling any options in Photoshop to fix the bug is not really the right way to deal with it. We need to be able to use it as it is, and the lag in canvas zoom and liquify zoom is a delay from a code error.

Keep it as it is. Disabling an option and experiencing discomfort is not the right solution. Waiting for Adobe to fix it...

(Photoshop 2020 21.0.3 This version has no problems with zoom and delay.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wasn't the only one experiencing this delay. I'm going crazy every time I run a liquify and zoom in.

When will this be fixed? This is something that needs to be fixed............................................

Votes

Translate

Translate