• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Program error with fade up from or to black on background layer

LEGEND ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone run into an issue where, with fade up from or to black on a background layer in an animation tiimeline the scrubber stops at the fade and pops up an unexplained "program error." Seems only to be on the background layer. No issue with a straight fade. (When it's a fade up, the scrubber won't even start and throws off the error. When it's a fade down, scrubber gets to fade and stops.)

OS Mojave 10.14.6, PS 21.0.0

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Fixed 21.1 or later.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You shouldn't be able to animate a background layer (it doesn't show up in Timeline animation). Can you post a PSD that exhibits his behavior or post exact steps to reproduce?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are the shots. First one has the fade only on the text layer. No issue - you can see scrubber head goes past start of fade. Second on Layer 1 - seizes up. This is not an issue with regular fade, only with fade to black. We've been doing this for years with no issue for our digital signs. Now, I can't even open students' files that have FTB in them. It throws off a program error and says can't open. PS just updated the other day and this started.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I just tried to save the PSD, it also threw off a program error saying it could not build a preview, and it would not save. Again, this happens with any fade to or from black on that underlying layer, but as soon as I took that black fade off that layer, it saved fine. Absolutely nothing else has change on my computer or with PS except the PS auto update to 21.0.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And one more tidbit. I threw a second color layer on and put an FTB on it. Moved it to the bottom layer. As long as I have the two color layers turned off, everything works fine. If I turn on either one, the scrub head stops at the FTB and the program throws off the error.  I also turned off the layers and let the scrub head go to the end, then turned them back on, first one, then the other. When I went to try to pull the scrub head back either time, it would not move and threw off the error. That black fade seems to be the nub of the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reinstalled 20.0.7 and it works fine with the same file. So you definitely have an issue with Fade With Black in 21.0.0.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2019 Nov 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,
Can you please try enabling Preferences -> Performance -> Legacy Compositing.  That should resolve the issue temporarily.  Please let us know if that helps.

Sincerely,
Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Andrew, I have not had time to check it with grading and other things, but several of my students who ran into the issue tried it and said it worked. - Doug

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Doug,
I'm glad to hear enabling Legacy Compositing resolved the issue for your students.  I'm sorry for any inconvienance there may have been.  We have our engineers working on a fix for this issue.  We appreciate your patience on the matter.

Andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 19, 2020 Feb 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in the 21.1 update that went out last night.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 24, 2020 Feb 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,