• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Properties panel not showing Shape Properties anymore (old bug is back?)

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to PS 2022 (v23.0.0) and it looks like an old bug has resurfaced.

Expected behavior: When I click a Shape, the Properties panel should show the Shape Properties options, with things like Fill, Stroke, corner radius, etc. (Basically the same options as what appears in the top bar.)

What's happening: Some shapes will show the Masks options in the Properties panel instead of the Shape Properties options. No Fill, Stroke, etc, just Density and Feather. (I've verified that they are shapes, with the square-with-corners icon in the Layers panel.)

To reproduce: Create text object. Right-click its layer, select "Convert to Shape". Non-converted shapes (rectangles, ellipses) seem to work correctly. I've done this thousands of times in PS 2021 and 2020, and it always worked correctly.

Is anyone else having this issue? I know this bug existed for a year or two when they first introduced the Properties panel, so it's unfortunate to see it resurface again.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

From engineering: "This is expected behavior. When the text is converted to shape, it remains non-live shape. To convert it into live custom shape, so that the W/H/Fill/Stroke and other properties are visible in properties panel, go to Edit > Define custom shape. This will save his shape as custom shape which is live in nature. This shape is available in the Window menu > Shapes panel."

Votes

Translate

Translate
5 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having a lot of these problems too, and more with synching presets across Adobe platforms. I think this new "ecosystem" has not done a good job of cleaning itself up! Maybe a lot of flaws and bugs are showing this problem. I am going back to 2021.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I were able to reproduce it. Shaped text shows Destiny and Feather sliders in Properties panel, while Shape created from scratch by Rectangle Tool the same properties we can see on Options bar (with RT chosen).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. I'm not seeing a version of Photoshop that ever displayed anything in properties other than Density and Feather for text converted to a shape. I'm not sure if this is a bug or design decision. I've asked the team.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From engineering: "This is expected behavior. When the text is converted to shape, it remains non-live shape. To convert it into live custom shape, so that the W/H/Fill/Stroke and other properties are visible in properties panel, go to Edit > Define custom shape. This will save his shape as custom shape which is live in nature. This shape is available in the Window menu > Shapes panel."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually...  if the goal is to create a Custom Shape based on a Text Layer, this "correct answer" is missing something.

The Define Custom Shape menu option is based on a Path, as such a Work Path needs to be created from the Text Layer before choosing Edit > Define Custom Shape.  To do this, right-click the Text Layer and choose "Create Work Path" from the pop-up list.  While the Work Path is still active, choose Edit > Define Custom Shape.  (Optional:  Name the Work Path in the Paths panel to match the Text Layer name.)  In the Shape Name dialog box, give the Custom Shape a Name and click OK.  The Custom Shape now appears at the bottom of the Shapes panel.  Drag and drop from the Shape panel to the document to complete creating a Shape Layer based on a Text Layer.  With Snap enabled (View > Snap), the user can align the Custom Shape to the Text Layer with the Move Tool.  That, or load the transparency of the Text Layer and use the Align controls available under the Controls of the Move Tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate