Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: PSD file size limit error message is vague

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Posting at the request of @AdobeCare on Twitter:

Photoshop has a 2GB limit for PSD file sizes, and I only discovered this after using Photoshop for 10 years. The problem is the error message is exceedingly unhelpful.

Could not save [filename] because the document is bigger than 2 gigabytes.

See help topic 'Saving Files' for more information.

The problem: this description makes it sound like Photoshop has a file limitation of 2GB. It doesn't say "this file format". Just that the document is bigger than 2GB and thus it can not be saved. Further, the description does not provide a solution. It tells me it can't save, then suggests I go search for it.

Fair enough. I went to Adobe's help (looking up Photoshop only) and searched for "Saving Files". NONE of the results on the first or second page applied to my problem. When you want to save a file and can't it creates a bit of anxiety. The only solution/suggestion it provides does not contain the answer.

The error message should be able to determine if a user is attempting to save in PSD and offer a message which states something like:

Could not save [filename] because the document exceeds PSD file format's 2GB limit. Please save using Photoshop's Large Document Format (PSB).

This instantly gives users a solution without having to search, and explains PSD files has a limit of 2GB, not Photoshop itself.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
2 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good idea. I've proposed the change to engineering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
> When you want to save a file and can't it creates a bit of anxiety. The only solution/suggestion it provides does not contain the answer.>

Speaking just for myself, but I constantly need to be reminded that when I know the answer, I often stop noticing the roadblocks to finding it. Thanks for reminding me to pay better attention to the many popups we get that barely inform us of what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate