• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Rotating text is causing scale issue

Contributor ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Experiencing a very strange bug/issue when rotating text in Photoshop. 

If you're using large text (very large, for typographic posters etc) and use the free transform to rotate the text layer, it does so to a certain point then begins to scale the text down.

I tried reverse engineering the problem; rotating smaller text then use the free transform to scale it up, it goes to a certain point then the rotation gets removed. Strangely you can rotate further using the corner handles of a text frame (with the type tool selected). However scaling up still cancels this out. 

Also tried converting the text to point text, but made no difference. 

Using the latest build 23.3.1 (previous build had the same issue). Windows 10. 12 core and 64GB RAM.

Any ideas what the heck is going on here?

Attached a couple og gifs that I hope explain things.

Rotating causing re-scalingRotating causing re-scalingScaling causing rotation cancellationScaling causing rotation cancellation

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.5. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.5, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Hi @twinbrush / @J E L, thank you for sharing the issue you are seeing. We can confirm that it is a bug and will pass this on to the team.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @twinbrush Yes, I can duplicate this. When rotating clockwise, it works properly, or when rotating back from counterclockwise. It's the same when rescaling. I used an 8.5 x 11 inch 300 ppi document, with a font at 575 pts for my test. The letter does snap back to that size when rotating or scaling back to center. Perhaps this is expected behavior? Windows 10 Pro w/ Photoshop 23.3.1 release.

ETA: I tried this again to check the transform anchor point setting, and now it's rescaling both clockwise and counterclockwise. Very strange, indeed. When reducing the text size to 48 pts, this doesn't happen at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @J E L Yea I was working on a similar sized document. SHould have mentioned that: 300dpi A4. I could get the font to go to 454pt then I experienced issues. Rotating clockwise worked up until about 270 degrees then the issues happened again. I think there's definitely sometihng funny going on when rotating text. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Weird. I'm not able to repro offhand. @J E L @twinbrush can you post your file that replicates this issue? Use CC files or dropbox to share a download link.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @twinbrush / @J E L, thank you for sharing the issue you are seeing. We can confirm that it is a bug and will pass this on to the team.

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @CoryShubert Not a problem. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453  Do you still want a link to my psd file. Its just a blank A4 doc with a single character 'A' text layer, but will share if you need it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 06, 2022 May 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the new release of Photoshop 23.3.1 20220419.r.426 4d24a4c x64 Window/Arrange/2-up vertical the windows resize when a third image is read into one of the windows. This is a bug in this release. In prior releases, the windows remained the same size. 

Selecting Window/Arrange/2-up vertical again resets the windows to the correct size (same width).

I have used this option for many years. Please fix this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @mwakshull You mention a different issue from the original post, so your question may be moved to a new thread by a moderator.

Meanwhile, I'm not sure if I understand what you mean by "the windows resize when a third image is read into one of the windows." By "reading into" do you mean you have two images open and select Arrange > 2-up Vertical. Next, you open a third image, but the two, previously arranged images are resized? There has to be room on the workspace to add the third image, so something has to move or resize.

Do you mean the view percentage (zoom) changes of the first two images? Or that the entire tab sizes change? Any screenshots or videos you can share of what is happening would be helpful to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not know how the topic was created. It is not the words I typed.

Please see these images. The first is with Window/Arrange/2 up vertical. I
then used File/open/ selected a new file that will appear on top of one of
the images. Note the width of the windows changed.

This process has worked properly for years. It is broken in the new version.

This has the new image on the left side. The left window widened while the
right window is narrow and does not display the full image.

Selecting Window/Arrange/ 2 up vertical fixes the appearance.

Sincerely,

Mike Wakshull MS, CQE, CISA, PMP

Forensic document examiner

P: 951-252-4929

F: 951-302-1785

M: 805-501-3388

Q9 Consulting, Inc.

P.O. Box 892965

Temecula, CA 92589

https://quality9.com <>

Blog https://quality9.com/forensic-blog/

@document_exam

Member of

<> Scientific Association of Forensic
Examiners - Vice President

<> National Association of Document
Examiners

<> Association of Certified Fraud Examiners - Director
-Inland Empire Chapter

<> National Speakers Association - prior co-dean
of the Greater Los Angeles Chapter's Speakers Academy

Provisors <> Newport Beach Group

Books Authored

Forensic Document Examination for Legal Professionals
<>/0985729457/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1547156462&sr=8-6&keywords=wakshull>

The End of the Zodiac Mystery <> - A
technical document examination book

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 16, 2022 May 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mwakshull Hi Mike, I just noticed your response today. I usually get a notification when someone replies, but I didn't see one this time. Sorry about that! Anyway, is this issue still happening for you with the newest release (v 23.3.2)? Your screenshots did not come through in your post. Could you please try to post them again? Also, please do not post your personal address or email information. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 19, 2022 Aug 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi all,

We're happy to announce the release of Photoshop 23.5. This update includes the fix for this issue. To see the list of all fixed issues, click here

To update Photoshop to 23.5, click "Update" in the Creative Cloud desktop app next to Photoshop. More detailed instructions for updating

Let us know if the update resolves the problem for those affected, and share your feedback.

Thanks,

Mohit

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate