• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save command hangs if hard drive is disconnected

Community Beginner ,
Jul 22, 2020 Jul 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A few times now I've opened a file from an external hard drive, disconnected the drive, and then accidentally select "Save" instead of "Save As." I get an error message that the file can't be saved, but then the document shows "Saving 0%" and I can't do anything to it until it completes. Any time I try to Save As, Close the doc, or Quit Photoshop, I'm told that I can't do so until the document finishes saving (which it won't, even if I reconnect the drive it was expecting to save to.

Luckily I can duplicate the document and save that without losing work, but it's still an annoying bug to encounter.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
11 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug?  Did you disconnect the drive and then hit SAVE as you stated?  That is not a bug, that is operator error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then maybe "bug" is the wrong word. The problem is that the file gets stuck after after the error message, with "Saving 0%". In this state it can't be saved or closed. My operator error freezes the document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct. Bug means a flaw in the program. Since "Save" was clicked yet the place where that file had been stored was off line, the PC was in limbo waiting for it to reappear. (I have done it myself...)  One way to get out of a situation like that would be to start Task Manager and then close the process. You would then restart Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

seems like there really should be a way around this instead of data loss...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There might be an autosave version of the file, or if he can force close Windows then Photoshop would do a restore / recovery of whatever file had been open when it had to be "crashdive" closed... That last has saved my bacon more than once...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never lost data because I can always make a new doc from the current state, and then save that one correctly. 

The annoyance is that the original doc, and Photoshop, can't be closed normally because it's stuck in the Saving state. Just seems like it ought to cancel the attempted Save if the destination has been disconnected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Doesn't what?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry! Doesn't allow system to abort the save command and release it. That's an OS thing, I suspect. It has things going in an endless loop awaiting completion of the save command...

If these darn computers made any sense, then we wouldn't have anything to do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly, that's why I'm reporting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I've gone ahead and filed a bug report for this behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate