• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Save for Web - File name and extension highlighted on macOS

Community Expert ,
Oct 20, 2020 Oct 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As has been reported previously, a problem confined only to macOS Catalina, where Save for Web highlights the whole file name plus extension in the save for web dialog is now an issue on macOS Mojave as well with the new photoshop 2020 (ps ver 22.0).

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/photoshop/photoshop-file-name-and-extension-highlight-w...

The save for web dialog is only supposed to highlight the file name so when a user changes the name the extension stays the same. However, when the file name plus extension is highlighted, changing the file name deletes the extension rendering the file unusable in such places as this very forum.

sfw-8d8c9c26-db55-46e9-9c8c-02a70a393066-2015262143.pngsfw-8d8c9c26-db55-46e9-9c8c-02a70a393066-2015262143.png

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
22 Comments
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2020 Dec 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed in 22.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When saving for web, Photoshop 22.2.0 highlights the entire filename, including the extension, so unless you adjust the selection before typing, you will have to retype the extension every time.

PhotoshopFilenames-41b3b974-6d5c-43b9-b3fb-d84189be3b8b-2047430305.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here. Very annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed in 22.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2021 Mar 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed in 22.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this ever going to be fixed?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 14, 2021 May 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I "Save For Web" the filename and extension are both highlighted, so when I type the filename, it erases the extension. I use this everyday for my work and it drives me absolutely bonkers. At this point, its not only the time it takes to add the extension manually, but the frustration that you have known about this for at least two years and have not fixed it.

So, Im going full Shawshank and  am writing to let you know that I will be posting every weekday about this bug until it is fixed. I have used your products since version 2 and have spent countless thousands of dollars on your software. I do not feel that this is a big ask. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Mac Version: 10.14.6

Photoshop Version: 22.3.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 17, 2021 May 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I "Save For Web" the filename and extension are both highlighted, so when I type the filename, it erases the extension. I use this everyday for my work and it drives me absolutely bonkers. At this point, its not only the time it takes to add the extension manually, but the frustration that you have known about this for at least two years and have not fixed it.

So, Im going full Shawshank and  am writing to let you know that I will be posting every weekday about this bug until it is fixed. I have used your products since version 2 and have spent countless thousands of dollars on your software. I do not feel that this is a big ask. Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 25, 2021 May 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This might not sound like much of a problem but it's costing me and others a huge amount of time. When I open a file and choose to Save for Web the whole name of the file is selected, including .jpg or .png. This means I need to unselect the filename and carefully reselect it without highlighting the file extension. Some files have really long names that are wider than the window displays so you have to scroll and then carefully edit the name. Doesn't sound like much but when you do this a couple of hundred times a day on some days it costs a huge amount of time and massive frustration. 

I've been using Photoshop since V2 in 1991. This has never happened until PS21. I used it on Mojave and now in Big Sur it's the same (2 different Macs). I see a lot of people complaining and it never gets fixed. 

I'm now looking at Photoshop alternatives and have just purchased Affinity Photo which you'll be delighted to know does not do this (and is actually rather good). Please fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 02, 2021 Jun 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are admins deleting my posts without even responding? I have posted several times about this, but only two of them show up in my profile. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OH HAI! Im appreciative that this is being tracked, but wonder if you can let us all know if any work is being done to resolve the issue. It may seem like a simple thing, but as someone that exports for web every day, it truly is maddening.

Thanks in advance for any info regarding a solution!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 04, 2021 Aug 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

macOS Big Sur V 11.2.3

+

Illustrator v25.4.1

Still not fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While this appears to be fixed on macOS Catalina and Big Sur (thanks for that), sadly it is still not fixed on macOS Mojave 10.14.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monterey 12.2.1

PS 23.1.1

Still not fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2022 Feb 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So it seems they are working on it but it hasn't been completely tested since at 23.1.1 (Mac) I did notice that the file extension will get inserted when you start typing over the entire highlighted line, except now it re-inserts the .png/.jpg after the first letter I type and if I'm not looking, I'll end up with "t.pngest", instead of "test.png".  Then, when I go to wipe it all out, when I get to the 'g' (in png) it puts another extension in again! So I still have to wipe it out and type again. It's worse now!
What is so hard about coding this? Screen Shot 2022-02-14 at 6.07.50 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@deborahjb1 Make sure macOS Monterey is up-to-date. The 12.1 update fixes the issue you describe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My new Mac comes with Monterey so am back to having this issue (I previously upgraded an older Mac and reverted because this issue bothered me so much!) When you go to "Save for Web" the entire file name AND extension is highlighted. This causes major disruption with my (and many others who have reported this) workflow. If you accidentally space to the right like you normally would to add to the file name and instead add to the entension by accident, it causes issues trying to use the file in other programs or on the web. Saving a file normally does not have this highlight issue, only Save for Web. I need to be able to quickly space to the right and add to the file name for many things. This is extremely frustrating and gone on long enough without being fixed. There were other threads but they keep being marked as solved- this is not solved!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the same (with Legacy Save for Web). Considering a 'normal' save doesn't highlight the entire name and extension, I'd agree it looks like a bug. I also don't see this behavior with Quick Export as JPG. So indeed, it is a bug. I've upvoted but I'll report this 'internally'. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Mac OS 11.6.5 Big Sur & Photoshop 2022 (23.3.0) release:

Save As a Copy (Legacy off):

Only the filename is selected, one can use the right arrow key to append to the back of the filename before the extension period.

Save As (Legacy on):

Same as above.

Export As (Legacy off):

Nothing is selected, pressing the tab key 3 times highlights the entire filename including the extension. 😞

Export As (Legacy on):

The entire filename, including the extension, is highlighted/selected. 😞

Export Save for Web (Legacy):

Mac OS 11.6.5 Big Sur & Photoshop 2021 (22.5.7) release:

Save As a Copy (Legacy off): 

Only the filename is selected, one can use the right arrow key to append to the back of the filename before the extension period.

Save As (Legacy on):

Nothing is selected, pressing the tab key 3 times highlights the entire filename including the extension. 😞

Export As (Legacy off):

Export As (Legacy on):

Export Save for Web (Legacy):

Conclusion: A unified result from all methods would be ideal, with the filename but not the extension being highlighted/selected by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate