• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Saving copy not saving over jpg file

LEGEND ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

working on Catalina OS. saving file extension works now but does not save over jpg when saving it creates a copy which is annoying and time consuming to fix

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
replies 834 Replies 834
834 Comments
Participant ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well said, @andrew_croft . Some great suggestions and insight.

And thanks for the PDF tip! ha =ha. I have a vendor point-of-contact who insists on sending locked files initially, having to return them, get their art guy to unlock them, and send them back. Every. Single. Time. I'll give this a try first next time and save myself a few face palms. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

carl@macpeople_wells "overwrite a file which is already open" ?

That explanation they gave doesn't make sense to me, it was working for as long as I can remember, years, until around late 2019, and all my other applications can do this simple task.

The files I try to replace are not open, they are sitting idle in a folder. The layered file is open and I try to save and replace other existing files in a folder and those are not locked. I can replace over an existing .pdf, .doc, .xls, .jpg, .png, and so on, using another application but not with Photoshop.

Lol I know you're quoting what they tried to explain, maybe they were just shooting ideas? Whatever that was, that isn't what's going on and it got my attention. My cheap and free software can do this and Pshop developers are baffled.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I just updated today to 22.1.1 and I discover the most stupid behavior. The bug is still there, but if your original psd file is name something like "yourfile copy.psd", and then you overwrite the jpg render it has no problem. So basically what I'm saying is, if you add the word copy with a space to your file you can work as normal. The most bizarre workaround, not sure if this happens to anybody else.

This is of course not a solution, but at least I don't have to change the file name every time I render a .jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is the most confusing part to me, because it means that whatever the issue *is* it can be "solved" by using a specific name... which means it *technically works* (the best kind of works) but yet doesn't actually work.

I would pay money to talk to an Adobe Dev to get some BTS info on this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is also an indicator that the issue isn't with Mac's OS as they state, but rather with Adobe's software as the file CAN be written over (and also works correctly with other file types or save methods as well as in other Adobe CC products).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, it means the problem has to do with the name rather than overwriting itself. Seems to me like a bit lazy from Adobe not to solve it if this is the case, or basically they don't give a ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2021 Jan 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reverted MacOS back to Mojave. It's the last OS that Photoshop works as it should be. No more "....copy. jpg". Here's the video that I followed if you are considering doing the same: https://youtu.be/C5W-l7K6W44

Catalina is where Photoshop issue started. Big Sur is the worst because there are more issues among OS itself and Adobe software. I think Adobe really don't give a crap about this jpeg issue at this point because there are so much craps to iron out in Big Sur and also preparation for future M1 chip based Mac. I threw in the towel. This jpeg issue slowed down my work flow drastically. Keep in mind that Big Sur is entirely a new OS (MacOS XI) under the hood. It targets the M1 Mac. DO NOT upgrade OS if Adobe is your bread and butter until most of the issues are fixed under this new OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ravnorodom Could the same be said to NOT upgrade to Catalina if the issue persists with MacOS X as well as MacOS XI? I have Big Sur installed and haven't come across any more bugs than is typical or perhaps to be expected with previous new OS releases. There are many features and upgrades that work really well.

I hesitate to stay two OS's behind because Adobe can't (won't?) get a specific file type(s) on a select application to overwrite itself unless appended with "_copy" which it's able to do, due to an apparent miracle of sorts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattrock1 In my case, there are more bugs than jpeg issue on Big Sur. I use almost all of the Adobe products including Premiere, After Effects, Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign and more. On Photoshop in Big Sur, when you move a multiple layers at once the images disappear on screen. On Premiere, live scrub does not work at all and it's impossible to edit video. On After Effects, animation codec export is no longer support because Big Sur stops supporting it. That means my entire library of video that contains animation codec has to be converted to Apple ProRes formats. On Cinema 4D R16 (not an Adobe product), I can't even render animation footage. The list goes on and on. These will effect my work flow drastically overall. For me, it's worth going back but not for everyone who only use Photoshop or a minimal Adobe products.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ravnorodom Fair enough. I very rarely work with Video. I'm primarily print these days, though I have not encountered any images disappearing on screen when moving multiple layers at once in Photoshop, and I work everyday on very (very) large, high-resolution, multi-layered files. Nor have I experienced any critical bugs in Illustrator (also part of my daily workflow), InDesign, Bridge, or Acrobat. (as well as coding editors outside the Adobe suite for web work).

Perhaps there is a processor, RAM or graphics card or storage issue relating to your current work station? I'm not picking sides, but only things to consider if you're having all sorts of issues.

I replaced and upgraded my entire work station last year in order to keep up with the more and more demanding MacOS upgrades and workflows.

That said, I have no idea how isolated or not these issue may be in the video community. I'm simply trying to help eliminate all possibilities for a fellow frustrated Creative Suite subscriber.

As for the animation codec issue, sounds like Apple has moved on from an outdated codec that (according to some forum posts, anyway) most have moved on from prior to Apple jumping ship. Unfortunately at some point, everything becomes obsolete.

Create a new Lossless With Alpha Output Module template and choose Cineware or ProRez 444 and change the color option to Straight. The animation codec is very old, creates huge files, doesn't compress or decompress as well as either of those codecs. The Animation Codec is now deprecated and no longer being supported by Apple or just about anybody else. Adobe was just a little behind the curve with their presets.

You can get to the Output Module presets by choosing the Edit/Templates/Output Module menu and then edit any of the presets or create new ones. I have not had the Animation codes listed in any of my Templates for a long time. You can do the same thing if you are using the Adobe Media Encoder to render your video with an alpha channel. Just edit and save or create a new preset. 

[source: https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects/export-with-alpha-big-sur/td-p/11761305?page=1]

Cheers, @ravnorodom. Sorry to learn of your frustrations. Hopefully you have it worked out sooner than later. In the meantime, I'll keep my fingers crossed getting a fix to a problem that has resulted in outdated files going being sent off to print. (both costly and frustrating)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@mattrock1 Thanks for the info. Yes, animation codec is deprecated starting Big Sur (found out the hard way) and Apple ProRes 4444 is the replacement. I did think about hardware wise but I just bought my new Mac in 2019 so I am not planning to get a new one soon. Hardware upgrading (eGPU) would be my best route but not at the moment. I have plenty of RAM (64GB). I will stick to Mojave for a long while before moving on to the latest OS and Mac.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so as you know (hopefully) you have been having an issue with photoshop when you take a psd file with layers and work on it and then save a jpeg or any other file format you get the first time a file example file name (name.jpg) this would be from your master file with the layers in it (name.psd) then when you get a change or have to update something in the layer you then save it which (name.psd) done . it saved over the file. the issue comes when you save the other file format jpeg in this instance you would get (name copy.jpg) not overwriting the file name even when prompted to do so ? and now I just found a real funny. when saving that same file you would have name.psd and name.jpg and then name copy.jpg so when I went back to the psd file to update it again and I am saving this test all on my desktop (it happens on the external as well) it actually does overwrite the file but guess which one of the three files LOL the one that says copy ..... so your software does do it just not on the original file save as. you can pay me later for finding the spot where you need to code better and fix it already . 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@ravnorodom I’ve also experienced the issue of layers disappearing while being moved. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been putting up with Photoshop windows strobing white when I go to a different app, putting PS in the background while the window is still visible. This usually occurs when I have WAY too many big files open.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

could also be motherboard on the computer. does it only happen in ps or have you noticed it in other programs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Frank Coppola My suspicion is the GPU. I have Mac mini 2018 which has an integrated graphic chip. I am planning to get eGPU in the future. The motherboard is fine and it's as fast as my Mac Pro (late 2013) at the office.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

good luck, I know I was thinking on my work computer it was the video board and went to apple with it they didn't find a thing the first time then I was able to talk to them and went thru the process of how it happens. they were able to duplicate the issue and repair it with a new motherboard

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Frank Coppola Thanks. Interesting. I will keep that in mind.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2021 Feb 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still not fixed with the new update.
Are there any professional programmers left at adobe?
Every program gets worse and worse.

Working with those broken apps is a pain in the a**.
I already left premiere pro and after effects.
If this continues, I´ll switch to affinity etc.
It`s sad, because photoshop, indesign etc. were really good apps back in the days.
Overwriting a file is a basic function. It`s just ridiculous.
I don`t know any software manufacturer, who tries so hard to loose their customers like adobe does

Votes

Translate

Translate

Feb 11, 2021 Feb 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should really unsubscribe from this thread, but somehow I enjoy witnessing the ever-more-pathetic failure of Adobe and its software-rental rip-off.

Everyone: can Adobe and buy competing apps. But continue to harangue Adobe in this thread just to see how shameless and inept they can be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes...
Adobe still thinks it has a total monopoly in this section.
But there are plenty of good alternatives meanwhile like davinci resolve for video-editing or affinity-suite.
I`m looking forward for the day, when adobe wakes up and realises that their stupid rental-method, their miserable updates/broken apps and policies backfired in long term.
Sadly, I´m still dependent on some of their apps.
But the day will come. 
And I´m sad about it, because adobe had some pretty decent apps back in the days. The days where UPdates fixed stuff and didn`t cause more problems...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolve and Affinity both suffer from major UI defects... but probably no worse than Adobe's, and at much lower prices.

Plus, Adobe insults its customers by abolishing its support and replacing its bug-reporting mechanism with this insulting and pathetic forum.

Hey Adobe, vote THIS up... right up your ass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Come on … it must be obvious to you that you are violating the Forum Guidelines (no matter how justified your frustration about the bug fixing performance of various Adobe product teams may be). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To whom and what are you talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate