• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Slicing Smart Object via Marquee is not permanent

Explorer ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I found out that you can displace Smart Objects via the marquee tool. This makes for an interesting effect, but it seems it is not permanent. As soon as you open the Smart Object and make any change to it, the displacement is lost.

To reproduce:

- create a new image

- create a marquee selection, fill it with any color to generate a rectangle

- convert the layer to a smart object

- use the marquee tool to create rectangular selections on top of the smart object and use the cursor keys to displace the smart object (it does not work when moving the selection with the mouse)

HannesDrexl_1-1666158435411.png

- open the smart object, make any change and save it again

- the previously applied displacement is lost

Is this even intentional behavior? It would be great if the effect was permanent.

Using Photoshop 24.0.0 on Windows 10.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Hi @Hannes Drexl ,

I see your point, and I was able to reproduce the issue.  This is actually a caching issue where the slice/partial content of the SO should not be modified, i.e. not moving/transforming.  I filed a bug regarding this issue.  Furthermore I was able to reproduce this as far back as Ps 22.5.9.

Votes

Translate

Translate
3 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe it is difficult to understand what is your goal in the first place?

Can you explain further this step or even better record short video to explain what are you trying to do:

"use the marquee tool to create rectangular selections on top of the smart object and use the cursor keys to displace the smart object (it does not work when moving the selection with the mouse)"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can directly make selections on the smart object layer, and thus move parts of the smart object around on the canvas. I made a short video as you suggested of the entire process. Changing the smart object in any way reverts the displaced parts to their original positions.

I can't upload the video directly, so here's a Dropbox link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pjw6ljf8u0cno9i/Photoshop-SmartObjectMarqueeDisplacement.mp4?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Hannes Drexl ,

I see your point, and I was able to reproduce the issue.  This is actually a caching issue where the slice/partial content of the SO should not be modified, i.e. not moving/transforming.  I filed a bug regarding this issue.  Furthermore I was able to reproduce this as far back as Ps 22.5.9.

Votes

Translate

Translate