• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Some actions give warning on flattened images

Community Expert ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Monday I was told by Adobe Support on the Phone that Bug # 2737069 is not in Photoshop so I spent $200 for the upgrade. The is NOT true Bug # 2737069 is still there one need to regress to CS3. I feel I was robed come on Adobe fix Bug # 2737069...

JJMack
Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
13 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
May 10, 2012 May 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you plan on doing this action, which was designed to work on multiple layer documents, on flattened images, delete the "Hidden current layer" step from the action. This step is there to protect your original layer that you are applying the action to, making the action more "non-destructive".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
May 11, 2012 May 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brett N Let me try to help. If you plan on replying to threads pleas try to understand the problem before replying. In the past. Adobe kept databases that the public can not see one where request and bugs reports were received. When a bug was confirmed to be a bug by Adobe, Adobe would close out the thread threads started by users and Log the bug into their Bug database. In Adobe old bug report system which has been not changed to this forum look for Case # 181675168, You will see Adobe assigned it Bug # 2737069 if you look in the Case # 181675168, thread you will see the Adobe suggested the it would fix the problem by adding a new Action Recording setting in Make Adjustment layer. I pointed out that would be the wrong thing to do for the would break all old action the recorded adding adjustment layers applied to all layer. That there was nothing wrong as to how the action were recorded the problem is only in the player. Recording Adding Adjustment Layers clipped or not clipped is not a new feature its been around for as long as I can remember and playing these actions always worked correctly up to CS4 when the Adjustment Panel was added. There is no reason to add a new recording "Without Clipping Mask" and a very good reason not to to remain compatible all actions currently recorded. It now looks like Adobe is h ell bent on breaking old actions.
Please look at Case # 181675168 and Photoshop General Discussion forum
http://forums.adobe.com/message/43956...
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read the bug report, but I didn't have your case number, so I hadn't read it yet.

The bug report says that these actions (Fluorescent Chalk and Neon Edges) are working as designed. They include steps to maintain a non-destructive workflow, hiding the target layer so that it doesn't get flattened with the Merge Visible command at the end. There are currently no plans to change the way the action works.

Reading your case, you mention that these actions did not give this warning message back in CS2, but above you mention CS4. I have looked at versions CS3, 4, 5, and 6. In each version the action contains the same steps and exhibits the same behavior when applied to a flattened/background only image.

Looking at the forum post you give, it has nothing to do with either this bug number or this case number.

So I am going to assume that you think I am ignorant of the issue because I was only working from the bug number you supplied. But it seems like the forum post is what you are really wanting to talk about. I can assure you that the works "Adjustment Panel" are not mentioned once in either 2737069 or in 181675168. I'm going to go over you forum post in detail, see if I can reproduce the behavior, and then log a bug (or find if there already is a bug report on this and update with the correct bug number).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I read through the forum, but I'm not clear on what the bug is exactly.

The Adjustments panel has changed a bit with CS6. First, it no longer lists presets. Second, it no longer holds the Adjustment layer settings. Instead, the Adjustment layer settings are in the brand new Properties panel. This Properties panel does still have a button to toggle clipping layers. So, new location, but same functionality.

I tried creating an action as you describe: add an adjustment layer without clipping turned on, then toggle the clipping with the button. I created this action in CS5, and loaded it properly (I'll explain in a second) into CS6 and it worked without error.

When I say loading the action properly, what I mean is that you really shouldn't just take actions from one version of Photoshop and use the Load option from the Actions fly-out menu in a different version. This has always been true, but most of the time you could get away with it. In CS5, we created a script to convert actions and presets from CS4 for use in CS5 (Move actions, presets, and workspaces | Photoshop CS4, CS5, CS5.1). This was the first time we'd done this. With CS6, we have this built into CS6 (Edit > Presets > Migrate Presets). Are you following these steps? If so, then I am missing a step you are doing. Perhaps I'll need to test one of your actions on my side.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clip to Layer in the adjustments panel on cs6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clip to Layer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2012 Aug 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is still an option in the Adjustment palette fly-out menu that can be set to clip. An Action should play back the way they were recorded like they did in all versions of Photoshop before CS4 . The bug was introduced in CS4. The action recorder records make adjustment with and with out and option
"With Clipping Mask" when this option is in the step the adjustment layer should be clipped and when it is not there the adjustment layer should not be clipped it should apply to all layers.

This is how the action play on all version of Photoshop before CS4

It is also the way Photoshop CS4 and above play the action if the Adjustment clip to layer is not checked.

When Photoshop versions CS4 and above adjustment Panels option Clip to Layer is Checked Make Adjustment layer that should not be clipped are clipped.
The panel option should only be used when the action is recorded. When the action is played it may be on a different machine then it was recorded on. Even when played on the machine it was recorded on the is no way the action to turn back the calendar find how the onitn was set at the time the action was recorded. The information is in the action step and if "With Clipping Mask" is not there it should not be clipped.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set: Record Adjustment Layers

Action: Add Two Levels
Make adjustment layer
Using: adjustment layer
Type: levels
Preset Kind: Default
Select layer “Background”
Without Make Visible
Make adjustment layer
Using: adjustment layer
With Clipping Mask
Type: levels
Preset Kind: Default
Select layer “Background”
Without Make Visible
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted the wrong case number previously here is the correct history

Case History
Case #0181636711 Assigned Bug # 2679265

Updated
Thursday, September 30, 2010 10:50:22 AM PDT

Opened
Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:21:19 PM PDT

Status
Withdrawn

Product
Photoshop CS5

Support contract
Adobe Support Program

Subject
CS5 Action Feature Bug

NOTES & RESPONSES

Notes from Customer
Thursday, June 10, 2010 8:21:19 PM PDT
CS5 has a bug recording and playing Actions that add Adjustments layers. Old actions recorded before CS5 and actions recorded with CS5 may or may not Play/Work correctly.

Before there was an Adjustment Panel all Adjustment Layers were added applied to all layers and you needed to clip them after the were added if you wanted it clipped. The new adjustment panel made it possible to add a adjustment layer clipped to the current layer. However a clipping parameter is not recorded by the action recorder just the type and setting are recorded.

When a make adjustment layer step is play it is either clipped or not depending on the state of the adjustment panel's clipping icon. If it not in the same state as it was when the action was recorded it will be add incorrectly. It would also be impossible to create an action that added some adjust layer clipped and others that are not.

I feel the is a serious bug which needs to be addressed. I believe the solution is simple and even old actions will also work.

Two patches are needed.

One in the Action recorder. If the step being recorded is make adjustment layer and the adjustment panel icon state is clip to layer this needs to be recorded in the action step record. If the layer is to be applied nothing extra needs to be recorded in the step record just leave it as is like actions prior to the adjustment panel.

The second patch in the Action Player. If the step that is about to execute is a make adjustment layer. The Player needs to save away the state of the adjustment panel icon. Then check the adjustment step record to see if it is to be clipped. If so set the adjustment panel icon to the clipping state else set it to the all layers state. Then do/call the add adjustment layer function/routine on return restore the adjustment panels icon from the saved state. Proceed to the next step.

I have been trying to report the bug for days. Please at least acknowledge you received my bug report.

Thanks
JJ

Browser: Other
Operating System: Windows XP
Has it ever worked? If so, what's changed? (provide comments in description field): Not Applicable
Same results with different file?: Not Applicable
Same results with different computer?: Not Applicable
Recent System Hardware or Software change?: Not Applicable

______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
Auto responsce from Abobe will close case unless we here from you
______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
Notes to Customer
Friday, June 11, 2010 5:04:44 PM PDT
Hi John,

Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support. My name is Saurabh. This is in regards to your concern posted on Adobe web support portal
regarding an issue with Adobe Photoshop CS5.

I understand the importance of your time in getting the issue resolved and we assure you that this will be taken care of with utmost importance. We appreciate your cooperation with us.

I would like to inform you that we are still researching on this issue. Once we find some new information, we will get back to you.

I apologize fore the inconvenience caused.

We are always happy to assist you however, in future if you face any problems with Adobe products, you may also try referring to our knowledge base & User to User forums by clicking on the following links:

KnowledgeBase: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/i...

User to User Forums: www.forums.adobe.com

To know more about Adobe products, please visit our product page:

www.adobe.com/products

Your technical support case number for this interaction is: 181636711

Thanks for contacting Adobe Technical Web Support and we appreciate your time spent.

Have a nice day.

PLEASE NOTE:We will be waiting for your reply on this case. In case you are unable to respond we will be sending you a reminder on the 2nd day (From the day of our response to you) and then the case will be auto closed on 7th day assuming your issue is resolved. However, you can reopen your case by visiting our web support portal and we will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,
Saurabh Jain
Adobe Technical Support
_____________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________
Notes from Customer
Friday, June 11, 2010 6:01:35 PM PDT
I consulted your knowledge base and I called customer support. This bug has not been listed. Custom support had me fill out a bug report at https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/...? name=wishform which I did but that was not even acknowledged. I demonstrated the bug to customer support by sharing my screen.

As for you forums for some reason the forum web site states my Adobe ID is disabled so I can not append or start a thread there id screen name jjmack. I created a new Adobe ID yesterday jjmackm@hotmail.com that to seems to be disabled or I can not come up with any screen name the is availably I have tried many. Every simple or outlandish name I have entered generates the same message screen name not available. I'm at my wits end I've been using Photoshop since Photoshop version 3. Over the years it seems to get harder and harder to communicate with Adobe....
_____________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

Notes to Customer
Saturday, June 12, 2010 1:58:07 PM PDT
Dear John,

Thank you for getting back to us with the required information and we appreciate your patience in helping us to resolve your issue as soon as possible.

As this issue would require support from a senior level and hence I am forwarding your case to the next level of support for extensive research and to find a resolution for the problem at hand. I'll get back to you once we receive a reply from the concerned department.

Please note that the expected turnaround time for resolution to this case from next level of support is 5 business days. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We are always happy to assist you however, in future if you face any technical problems with Adobe products, you may also try referring to our knowledge base & User to User forums by clicking on the following links:

U2U Forums: www.forums.adobe.com

www.adobe.com/products

Thanks for contacting Adobe Technical Web Support. Have a nice day.

Regards,
Saurabh Jain
Adobe Technical Support

Notes from Customer
Tuesday, June 15, 2010 12:03:49 PM PDT
simpler then I first thought. Upon more investigation this is what I see.

I skipped CS4 and when I installed CS5 I discovered a nasty bug had been introduced is Photoshop's Action facility most likely in CS4.

Action that add adjustment Layers clipped to the current layer that step is recorded Make adjustment layer with Clip.

Action that add adjustment Layers not clipped Step records as Make adjustment layer.

When a step Make adjustment layer with Clip is played back that is what Photoshop does.

When a step Make adjustment layer is played back what Photoshop does is look at the adjustment panel clipping icon state and and if it is clip to current layer Photoshop does clip the adjustment layer to the current when is should be applied to all.

Many of the actions I have created add adjustment layer applied to all then later clip them to the current layer. These actions generate an error message if the Adjustment panel clipping icon is set to clip. Because the layer get added clipped clipping it is not available. The strange thing is the layer is clipped the way I wanted it to be. But actions I recorded where I want the adjustment to apply to all are clipped and the is no error message just wrong results.
Notes from Customer
Thursday, June 17, 2010 1:00:02 PM PDT
I was told 24 hours to fix my ID. I kept myself logon this machine.now I can not even logon.
Notes from Customer
Friday, June 18, 2010 1:31:42 PM PDT
My user ID is now operational again after I requested an password e-mail so I could reset my password. When I received the e-mail I was able to set my accounts password and once again participate in Adobe's forums.

The is still no change in the status of my bug report. I would like to be able to play actions and know the will work the way there were recorded.

Notes from Customer
Saturday, June 19, 2010 6:56:24 AM PDT
Create a one step action that add an adjustment layer that applies to all layers.

Play that action with the icon in the adjustment panel is set to apply to all layers. Change the status of that icon to clip to layer and play the action again.

You will find the first adjustment layer was added correctly apply to all layers like it was recorded the second adjustment was added clipped to layer when it should be applied to all...

Notes to Customer
Thursday, July 1, 2010 9:53:35 AM PDT
Dear John,

Thank you for contacting Adobe Technical Support. My name is sauarbh. This is in regards to your concern posted on Adobe web support portal regarding an issue with Adobe Photoshop CS5.

I understand the importance of your time in getting the issue resolved and we assure you that this will be taken care of with utmost importance. We appreciate your cooperation with us.

As your issue demands a real time interaction, so we are arranging a call back for you.

Please provide the below mentioned information so that our call back team can contact you to resolve your issue:-
1. Your Preferred Day to attend the call
2. Your Preferred Time to attend the call
3. Your Time Zone
4 Your Phone Number

The callback team works from 10 AM to 7 PM PST.

Kindly revert to us with the above stated information so that our call back team can contact you within 24-48 working hours.

Please note :- Our Call Back team works Monday through Friday.
The callback team works from 10 AM to 7 PM PST.

Regards,
Sauarbh Jain
Adobe Technical Support
Notes from Customer
Thursday, July 1, 2010 10:10:44 AM PDT
Please provide the below mentioned information so that our call back team can contact you to resolve your issue:-
1. Your Preferred Day to attend the call
Mon through Friday
2. Your Preferred Time to attend the call
1 PM to 10 PM any time
3. Your Time Zone
Eastern USA Time
4 Your Phone Number
845-xxx-xxxx
Notes from Customer
Friday, July 2, 2010 8:43:30 PM PDT
July 2 Adobe support called me once again they share my display and I demonstrated the bug for a second time. This time the stated they were recording my demo. After I demonstrated the bug they put me on hold for a while. Upon returning they informed me that there was still no circumvention or fix for this problem. They wanted to know if I was at the latest software level they were still sharing my display so I did a Photoshop Help About Photoshop to show I had the latest update Photoshop version 12.0.1. Told me they were not capable of handling this problem and would have to refer this to senior technical support that they would determine if it was a bug. What a joke Adobe junior technical support can not even recognize a bug when it has been demonstrated to them on two occasions now and also received several case update from me. Adobe you need better support personal.
Notes to Customer
Thursday, August 5, 2010 2:39:56 PM PDT
Hi John ,

Thank you for getting back to us.

I would like to apologize for the delay in providing you a faster resolution to your issue and appreciate your patience with us.

I would like to inform you that your issue has been logged as bug so the workaround is obviously to make sure the clip to layer is not enabled prior to running any of these actions.Also my Product Team and Engineering Team are working on this issue you can use the work around as mentioned above.

This should resolve your issue. If it does, please let us know, however in case it does not; please revert with any new information that you might want to add which will help us in resolving your issue.

You can also try referring to our knowledge base and User to User forums by clicking on the following links:
Knowledgebase: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/search/i...

www.adobe.com/products

Thanks for contacting Adobe Technical Web Support and we appreciate your time spent.

Have a nice day.

PLEASE NOTE: we will be waiting for your reply on this case. In case you are unable to respond we will be sending you a reminder on the 2nd day (From the day of our response to you) and then the case will be auto closed on 7th day assuming your issue is resolved. However, you can reopen your case by visiting our web support portal and we will be happy to assist you further.

Regards,
Adobe Technical Support
Notes from Customer
Sunday, August 8, 2010 9:26:50 PM PDT
Any work around does not solve my problem. Thousands have downloaded my actions. There is no way that I can contact them to make the aware of any work around. I can code around this bug but again I have no way to get the update to those that have downloaded my actions for they are free. All that is logged is the number of downloads. No registration is required so there is no way to contact the users that downloaded my actions. The problem will only be resolved when adobe updates Photoshop and fixes the problem.
Notes to Customer
Wednesday, August 11, 2010 1:58:23 PM PDT
Hi John ,

Thank you for getting back to us.

I would like to apologize for the delay in providing you a faster resolution to your issue and appreciate your patience with us.

I have logged this issue with my Product Team and Engineering Team as Bug #{2679265}. Adobe’s Engineering Team will look into this issue, and if in the future a resolution or fix is possible, it will be available from the Adobe Systems product update web site: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

I am closing case#{181636711}, if you have any new information, please contact my team within 14 days, with the details, so we may re-open the support incident.

You can also try referring to our knowledge base and User to User forums by clicking on the following links:

www.adobe.com/products

Have a nice day.

Regards,
Adobe Technical Support
_____________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________
Notes from Customer
Thursday, August 12, 2010 9:13:56 PM PDT
This case should not be closed till there is a fix for this bug. How can Adobe Support close a bug report when Adobe acknowledges its a bug where Adobe Support does not provide a fix. Blowing smoke with statements like "if in the future a resolution or fix is possible, it will be available from the Adobe Systems product update web site". Photoshop CS3 work correctly Adobe broke the Action Player in CS4 and its still broken is CS5. "if a fix is possible!"!!! Are you joking? What kind of support is that? Do you get a bonus for closing bug reports without fixing the bug? Does it make you look good inside Adobe. I can tell you from the outside there is a foul stench emulation from Adobe Technical Support.
Notes to Customer
Monday, August 16, 2010 2:30:22 PM PDT
Dear John ,

Thank you for getting back to us with the required information and we appreciate your patience in helping us to resolve your issue as soon as possible.

This issue would require support from a senior level and hence I am forwarding your case to the next level of support for extensive research and to find a resolution for the problem at hand. I'll get back to you once we receive a reply from the concerned department.

Please note that the expected turnaround time for resolution to this case from next level of support is 5 business days. I apologize for any inconvenience caused.

We are always happy to assist you however, in future if you face any technical problems with Adobe products, you may also try referring to our knowledge base & User to User forums by clicking on the following links:

www.adobe.com/products

Regards,

Adobe Technical Support
______________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________
Notes to Customer
Thursday, August 26, 2010 4:25:48 PM PDT
Dear John ,

I would suggest you to please go to through the KB document to move actions from Photoshop CS4 to CS5 given below :

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/860/cpsid_86...

Please make sure about the loaction of actions which you created or saved in Photoshop CS4, go to that location and make sure you have all the actions there.

Did it ever work in Photoshop CS5?

Try to make a copy of the action that he is trying to run, remove the 'Hide' command and re-record hide in PS CS5, put it into the action, and see if that works.

Or try making a short action along with Hide command . If this works, then something might have got changed between the version.

www.adobe.com/products

Regards,

Adobe Technical Support
Notes from Customer
Friday, August 27, 2010 8:15:11 PM PDT
This is the reply I received from adobe support you. I want this case open till it is resolved. Your trying everything to close it unresolved. Now your giving me instructions on how to migrate from CS4 which I don't have??? Please fix bug #{2679265}.
++++++++++From Adobe support+++++++++
I have logged this issue with my Product Team and Engineering Team as Bug #{2679265}. Adobe’s Engineering Team will look into this issue, and if in the future a resolution or fix is possible, it will be available from the Adobe Systems product update web site: http://www.adobe.com/downloads/updates/

I am closing case#{181636711}, if you have any new information, please contact my team within 14 days, with the details, so we may re-open the support incident.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Notes to Customer
Monday, August 30, 2010 5:14:11 PM PDT
Hi John ,

Thank you for replying back.

I would like to inform you that that we are working in techinical support department and fixing any issues or Bug with the product is done by the developers team. As they are already working on it and we don't have any update as how much time that gonna take. If you want we can have the case as open and as soon as there is any fix for the same, you will be getting the update on Adobe website.

I hope this will address your concern.

www.adobe.com/products

Have a nice day.

Regards,
Adobe Technical Support
______________________________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
Notes from Customer
Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:51:16 PM PDT
Yes leave it open
Notes from Customer
Monday, September 6, 2010 5:57:14 AM PDT
Thank You
Adobe Support Call me and told me it would be fixed in the next release of Photoshop and asked me if they could close the case. I replyed IMO that is not the proper thing to do do what you want...
====================================================================== ============================================
As you can see Adobe marked the case
Status
Withdrawn

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for supplying the real bug number.

But you need to understand that the closing of a tech support case does not mean that a bug report that is generated as a result of that case is closed as well. The two are mutually exclusive. Bug reports can be created without tech support being involved.

The tech support case has been closed because there is no longer any work that tech support can do. Tech Support can only go as far as making sure the application is working as expected. If the issue is a bug, tech support cannot fix this. A report is filed and the issue is then handled by engineering. At best, tech support can only supply a workaround, which has been done in this case.

This issue is now in the hands of engineering. Keeping your tech support case open holds no purpose. Which is why it has been set to Withdraw, because there is no true solution available. Now we can only wait for the issue to be fixed in a future update or release. No promises can be made as to when this can be done, when our engineers will be able to find and implement a solution. We cannot quote when this will happen.

As for those that have downloaded and use your actions, you should post information about the workaround for your users to find. As tech support does not support Actions created by a third-party, we would be redirecting those that contact us back to the source for further help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What about all the other action recorded by others that added adjustment layers applied to all layers. Actions that always work correctly up to Photoshop CS4. Action that after cs4 will work correctly if an adjustment panel option is in one state and will work incorrectly if the adjustment panel option is in the other state. These action step will work alwaye work without any error message correctly or incorrectly.

I spoke to Adobe support before buying a CS6 licence gave them the correct adobe assigned bug number and I was told the that bug no longer existed in CS6.

Adobe should fix this bug.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Because the issue only occurs when the Clip to Layer option is on, this option is off by default, and most users are not aware of this option, very few have encountered this problem (you may have seen a larger percentage of reports due to your Actions). This option was not available prior to CS4, because it was introduced with the Adjustment panel in CS4, which is why it was not an issue previously. And by this I don't mean that there is no way to create an Adjustment Layer with clipping, but there was no option to automatically do this every time.

And this is exactly the problem, the issue occurs because the option always clips an Adjustment Layer when it is created. This overrides the action step to simply "Create an Adjustment Layer". So even though the Action doesn't record to not add clipping, clipping is added by this option after the fact, by a command outside of the Action.

The bug was not marked as repaired in CS6. I don't know why you were told that it had been, but that was incorrect. However, you reported a different bug number at the beginning of this discussion, and that bug has been closed because the feature is working as expected. Perhaps that is why you ended up with incorrect information.

We are working on a solution.

But the best way to avoid this bug is to not use the Clip to Layer option at all. Just create clipping on Adjustment Layers when it's wanted. Same as would have been done prior to CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Actually the best way to bypass the bug is to always record make adjustment layers clipped (for they always work correctly) then un-clip the adjustment layers you want to be applied to all. Yes one can program around the bug but that does not help the old existing actions.

You wrote "And this is exactly the problem, the issue occurs because the option always clips an Adjustment Layer when it is created. This overrides the action step to simply "Create an Adjustment Layer"." But it should have nothing to do with the action step. Like it not being checked does not override action the have been recorded to clip the added adjustment. The action player should use the information recorded in the step that has recorded the state of the option when the step was recorded. Prior to CS4 there was no Adjustment panel however the option was still available an other way. And like it still is this option is recorded into the the action step "with Clipping" indicated that the adjustment layer should be clipped. When "with Clipping" is not in the action step the adjustment layer should apply to all. If you code it that way all versions of Photoshop will play make adjustment layer correctly once again. The adjustment panel should have no bearing what so ever on how an action step is played. The state of that option was recorded into the action step when the action was recorded. Its current state may well not reflect what was recorded. Its current state should do nothing. Please fix the problem correctly don't go adding something like "Without Clipping" to the recorder for that will make old action incompatible when there is no reason to do so. Recording make adjustment either clipped or not clipped always worked correctly before CS4 and the way the are recorded has not changed, There is no reason they can not be played correctly. The user is not manually adding the adjustment layer. When a user manually adds a adjustment layer it can be through the adjustment panel or through the layer menu. Only when the Adjustment panel is manually used should it option be used.

The other option above it "Add mask by default" if unchecked overrides all action recorded" For Photoshop default was always to add layer mask"

So if "add mask by default" is unchecked and if "clip to Layer" is checked in the Adjustments Panel fly-out menu options SOME ACTIONS WILL NOT PLAY BACK AS THE WERE RECORDED. Why would anyone want these option any way other then the way they are set by default. Why would users want to break actions.

Go back to the old way and just have check boxes in dialog there is less confusion that way. I would not care if "Clip to Layer" just checked the check box in the add adjustment layer layer dialog like it does. However I don't like that these options being set to other the Adobe default setting changes the way actions Play.
JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate