• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Stroke automatically closes on layer with multiple open subpaths

LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, guys. You're the company that makes Illustrator so I was quite shocked you got this wrong in Photoshop CS6 strokes.

If I don't close a path, I don't want a stroke drawn between the two open ends, yet it draws one. Fill: sure, I can turn that off.

But stroke: no.

Please consider fixing this. It's really hard to create basic vector elements when the stroke can't handle something so basic.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012
I've updated the title and there is a record of the issue in our internal database. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
31 Comments
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2012 Sep 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But other users do want to stroke open paths. Some even get really furious that the line tool has a thickness and a fill instead of just a stroke.

And Illustrator does the same thing (allowing, and defaulting to) a stroke on an open curve segment.

If you do not want the stroke, turn the stroke off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 08, 2012 Sep 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, there's a misunderstanding about the problem I'm describing.

Here's a reproduce case and expected/actual:

1) Use the pen tool in Shape mode and click at three points (let's call them A, B, C) thus creating an open path of two segments.

2) Add a stroke.

Expected: See a stroke connecting A-B-C and no stroke connecting C-A (I didn't close the shape), just like Illustrator.

Actual: I see a stroke connecting A-B-C-A

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait, that's odd, this didn't happen right now.

It means the reproduce case is more specific. Stay tuned.

EDIT: See below.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reproduce case:

Photoshop incorrectly strokes between the start/end of an open path, if that path was created as a standalone path, and PASTED into a shape.

So it's another bug, Chris :)

EDIT: It also starts adding open/close strokes on other shapes.

Apparently mixing/pasting shapes loses state about what to stroke at some point, or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using a layer style stroke or stroke from the tool options bar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using shape strokes, new in CS6, and not layer effects. But see my comments further down, there's more to reproducing it.

It's a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, you've changed the topic of this post incorrectly. Please don't do that. My original topic was "Open strokes are rendered incorrectly" and not "Open paths are rendered with a stroke."

It's an entirely different meaning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, you left too many details out of your original post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We change the title to reflect the contents, and try to keep the topic clear and searchable.
The title was changed based on your original description, and correctly matched how your original description read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I'm seeing the bug is simply that when there's multiple subpaths in a Shape, all subpaths are stroked as if they are closed regardless of being open or closed.

This doesn't seem related to pasting; it happens regardless of how the Shape becomes made of subpaths, e.g. initially drawing a Shape with multiple subpaths, or drawing an additional subpath in an existing Shape, or pasting a path into an existing Shape, or merging Shapes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess i'm not getting what your seeing.
Could you post a screenshot or short video?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay i see what your talking about..

For a single path on a shape layer that is not closed the stroke works only on the path, but if you add a subpath that is not closed, then the stroke connects the open parts of the paths so the paths appear closed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 09, 2012 Sep 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My original description:

"If I don't close a path, I don't want a stroke drawn between the two open ends,"

Not a big deal 🙂 I don't mind clarifying, but I notice bug handlers in general (in any company) sometimes cast a judgment quickly and may bury a real problem. With a high volume of feedback it tends to happen.

EDIT: Thanks for changing the title again 😉 (this time I don't mind hehe)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conroy, you're right. I've tested this a bit more and so basically open paths render closed when there are multiple components.

FINAL DESCRIPTION
----------------------------

Opens paths render stroke as closed paths when there are more than one components in the shape's path (as a result of pasting or starting a new component, doesn't matter).

FINAL REPRODUCE CASE
-----------------------------------

1) Draw a new shape with the pen as an open path consisting of three points A, B, C
2) Add stroke to the shape, notice it strokes the lines A-B, and B-C, but not C-A (properly).
3) With the shape selected, the path deselected, set the Pen tool in "Combine shapes" mode and draw a new similar open path, with three points D, E, F.
4) Notice now both open ends C-A and F-D render strokes.
5) Erasing any path component and leaving just one restores proper rendering of open paths.

EXPECTED
---------------

The line between two end points on an open path should never render a stroke.

ACTUAL
-----------

A stroke is rendered between two end points on open paths when one shape contains two or more path components.

EDIT: I've checked the behavior of multiple open paths in a single "Compound path" in Illustrator, as it's the closest thing to the Shapes behavior in Photoshop. Illustrator handles multiple open paths in a compound path as expected (no open ends get a stroke).

So consistency-wise, Photoshop should fix this (Illustrator users won't expect Photoshop's current behavior), and logic-wise, also (users in general won't expect Photoshop's current behavior).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have Edit > Stroke, Stroke layer effect, and now shape stroke. Just wait until Photoshop CS7, which will add 3 more stroke features! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2012 Oct 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I blind and stupid?
All I want to do is draw a curved editable line in photoshop (not a closed shape).
I want to draw an "S" shaped curve, but it renders like this :
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19695218/Try...

Sadly, photoshop joins the ends together and I can not see anything that says "make shape open".

Can someone please give me a clear explanation of how to do this simple task.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 01, 2012 Nov 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated the title and there is a record of the issue in our internal database. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends entirely on how you're applying the stroke. If you're doing it through the layers panel (Blending Options) or any other way which applies it directly to the *layer*, you'll get this outcome because it's using the fill as a base for that outline.

Instead (and unfortunately only in CS6), you'll want to use the bar along the top with the path selected with the direct selection tool (shortcut A). Set the fill to to none (white icon with a red line through it) and your stroke to whatever you want.

This bug report is for using this method with multiple paths on a single layer so use multiple layers until this bug is fixed. Hopefully soon, it's caused me a few problems already.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2012 Nov 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Brian, I think this may be too hard to understand over the internet. I am using CS5 so maybe it is different.
I can not find any place in photoshop to follow this instruction: "Set the fill to none (white icon with a red line through it)".
That sounds like what i am familiar with in Adobe illustrator, but i can not find it in photoshop for paths or shapes.
I found a (not ideal) way to get a path to draw an "s" shape without filling it, by creating a path with the pen tool, then using "stroke path with brush".
But I was hoping for something more like in illustrator, where the stroke thickness is editable, not committed in pixels onto the layer. ie. more like the interactivity you get when adding a stroke in the layer style.
Sorry that my question is not %100 on the thread topic.
Thanks again for your help above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2012 Nov 14, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, it's a new feature of CS6. Photoshop was never really intended for true vector work but it's slowly getting some illustrator features to help workflow. Your method was pretty much the only way in CS5 and below and, as you note, it's a destructive action and cannot easily be undone. This method allows you to edit thickness, alignment, path caps / corners etc. You'll have to upgrade, I'm afraid. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2012 Nov 15, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for this fix. Just encountered it today for the first time. Upgraded to PS CS6 two weeks ago. C'mon guys please sort this out soon!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2013 Feb 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I got it:
(On Photoshop CS6, didn't tested it in older versions):

1. Select the pen Tool (make sure no shape layer is selected)
2. On the Properties toolbar (the top one) Make sure "Shape" is selected from the dropown menu.
3. Next to the dropdon menu - Fill color should be - NONE.
4. Select any stroke color.
5. Start to create path - notice photoshop will not close your paths.

GoodLuck 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not about the fill, it's about the stroke.

If you read the discussion you'll see that it happens when fill is NONE, but you need two or more path components per shape layer in order to reproduce the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the bug is acknowledged but it's not fixed.

I sometimes understand that a bug becomes a "legacy behavior" for backwards compatibility, but you JUST introduced this feature. If you don't fix this now, it'll only become harder to fix it. 10 major versions 15 years later Photoshop will still be unable to render open paths correctly.

And this is how good products become horrible products, cough and die.

Please tell me you'll fix this in CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 15, 2013 Mar 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definitely need this fixed for the complete path to happiness.

Votes

Translate

Translate