Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

P: Taking forever in Reading Preferences

2 Votes
Participant ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Adobe CC installed on a fast SSD, Photoshop startup is usually done in a few seconds, but lately is taking around 2 minutes in the “Reading Preferences” start stage.

I have done every existing throubleshooting recommended like resetting or deleting Preferences folder and files, manually, or trough Ctrl+Alt+Shift option, I have unistalled and re-installed, etc. but the problem persists like if CC were back in an old and slow mechanical HDD.

Bug Unresolved
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021
@RosaPerry and anyone else in the thread who finds presets (.psp files) that cause this issue, engineering would like a copy of .psp file to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Contributor , Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021
@Jeffrey Tranberry  I found out that my Styles preference was actually corrupt. I deleted the preference and now when Photoshop starts, reading Preferences only takes about 3 seconds instead of 50 seconds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
16 Comments
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. Windows 10 latest version. Installed on fast SSD with heaps of free space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@juvelez  - We are really sorry for the trouble. Could you please let us know few things :

1. Are you seeing this on a clean boot scenario, as in restart and launch PS, is it behaving the same.
  2. Shift launch PS , which will skip loading optional and 3rd party plugins, do you see issue in that scenario too.
  3. Can you share the preferences from your machine . zip the folder -> Users/[user name]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop [version]/Adobe Photoshop [version] Settings .
    4. Also, share the Help>System Info and also a short video of issue if possible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Agrita Thanks for your reply, I've restarted the PC, reinstalled, and now is taking about 35 seconds to startup, this anyway is taking 30+ than before latest updates. No matter if I skip the 3rd party plugins loading, the Reading Preferences happens before loading plugins, so the startup time is exactly the same.

This is info you asked:

Photoshop Settings:
https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/21b1bebb-2588-4cf9-4a4f-63ebfbad47fc

System Settings:
https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/fedf7cad-c627-479d-4fc1-817b63f7da5d

Normal Launching Video:
https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/6a2dfb4b-6b62-49dd-5c19-fcbb0e54e409

Skip Plugins Launching Video:
https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/0884c15a-6acb-4fdd-548f-a2782743b701

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@juvelez If you quit Photoshop and slide the existing prefs folder out of the location that Agrita posted below to the desktop and relaunch does it load faster? Instructions here: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually

If that doesn't have any change/effect, can you send us a dump file (Launch Task Manager, right click Photoshop and Create Dump File) - especially while the Splash Screen and loading preferences dialog is up.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeffrey TranberryThanks for your Reply, I've done everything recommended in Adobe Help site and other community sites, including moving away the preferences folder, deleting it, resetting it with Ctrl+Alt+Shift, skipping Plugins with shift, and in all cases Photoshop is taking 30+ seconds to start, I did the Memory Dump this is the link do download it:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/5d60b1b0-f9bb-4b4c-7ce5-5cc9e6af01cb

During the time "Reading Preferences" stage, Photoshop appears as "Not Responding" at the Task Manager.

I've started to notice this behavior after recent updates done by CC app

As I said, I've installed CC on a fast SSD, Photoshop took maximun 5 seconds to start. The rest of the apps are loading normaly, Illustrator is taking 6 seconds, Animate 9 seconds, Audition 4 seconds, Premiere 8 seconds, After Effects 9 seconds, Media Encoder 4 seconds, etc. it seems the problem is only affecting Photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@juvelez Thanks for clarifying. Sounds like prefs themselves is a red herring and something else is causing the delay. Asked engineering to look at the dump.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeffrey Tranberry  

Here is my  Photoshop DMP file for the same issue as @juvelez has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 25, 2021 Sep 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeffrey Tranberry @Agrita Any news about this issie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same exact issue on new machine, deleted settings file, did a clean reinstall with no settings or preferences, the shift+PS, nothing. It still hangs when loading the Reading Preferences 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 26, 2021 Sep 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had to take extreme measures: Unistalled entire CC, first all the apps then the CC app, then removed all Adobe traces on my system: files, folders and registry entries. Only after installed again averything, Photoshop recover its normal loading time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same thing is happening to me since latest updates :(((((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just went back to version 22.4.3 and start up time went back to normal. Is an issue with latest version (22.5) in my case. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeffrey Tranberry  I found out that my Styles preference was actually corrupt. I deleted the preference and now when Photoshop starts, reading Preferences only takes about 3 seconds instead of 50 seconds. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@RosaPerry and anyone else in the thread who finds presets (.psp files) that cause this issue, engineering would like a copy of .psp file to investigate.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeffrey Tranberry 

Here's the link to my Styles.psp which was causing a problem with reading preferences.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/evjp6d2x130lnc7/Styles.psp?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks @RosaPerry !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines