• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform/Resize is constrained by default - Want ability to go back to legacy behavior

Participant ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When selecting a layer and dragging a corner handle with the shift (or alt-shift) key pressed, the resize proportion isn't constrained. This started with this most recent update.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019
With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 778 Replies 778
778 Comments
LEGEND ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a total troll update. So the design devs screwed up with their new transform/scaling system, which only applies to rasterized layers. Trying to transform vectors uses legacy transformation behavior which made sense. So you guys only half a job at implementing this screw up.

Another thing is rotating objects, when you cursor off the transform object you are then able to rotate. In 2019 now if you move the cursor too far out of the object it switches to transformation interrupting rotation. Is freaking backwards this whole 2019 version. Seriously what happened with the team does anyone on it use photoshop professionally or at least talk to any half decent pro users?

Using cc2014 till you fix  you guys fix this mess up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the hell is this getting fixed ? Why are we still waiting ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 03, 2019 May 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When the hell is this getting fixed ? Why are we still waiting ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2019 May 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Totally agree with everyone on this post. What's the point of the "chain link" icon to turn proportional scaling off and on. This affects not just edit transformations, but selection transformation, as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me Too. I had to waste a lot of time digging through web searches to find this out. What's the point of the constraint link on the toolbar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Alexandra. This change was not done to please 12-year old weekend users. It was done BY young Adobe product managers who apparently don't have a clue that there is a large user base, many of whom don't comment on this forum and will just quietly downgrade out of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Alexandra. This change was not done to please 12-year old weekend users. It was done BY young Adobe product managers who apparently don't have a clue that there is a large user base, many of whom don't comment on this forum and will just quietly downgrade out of frustration.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too. Thanks Rosa. That's an even bigger bug!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
May 13, 2019 May 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The inconsistency of changing this in one context, of one tool, in one app, is still truly baffling to me sorry. It can only create confusion; the enemy of UI/UX for users of all levels/backgrounds.

Removing confusion and clarifying stuff is fundamentally what design is all about. If it needs changing, then it needs changing in every context, of every tool, in every app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Photoshop for what, 15 years? And they go and change something so basic. Every software I have uses shift to resize proportionally. And the only way to go back to legacy is to write a line of code? All this and getting raped by the ridiculous subscription price. Once again Adobe working hard to piss off the designers who rely on Creative Cloud to run a business. I wish I never switched to InDesign. My headstone will read "Paid for CC subscription until death."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, I may not see any reply to this comment. I still have more of the same using PS and it all happened after I downloaded the last 'upgrade'. Nothing but trouble, from presets changing, [copy] [paste] failing and 'trailing' and that's not all. Okay, so the sixty-four-thousand dollar question is do I upgrade again after the pop-up just now? I'm going to wait and look around first. If it 'fixes' most, then yes. If not, I'm going to drink, it is Friday afternoon here and I'm nearly done with it. Good Luck.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 04, 2019 Jun 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Proportional scaling without holding Shift is breaks custom, present in all other apps of the Adobe suite and is hampering my productivity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey! Wise guys at Adobe....Why are you messing around with basic tool shortcuts that warrant no unnecessary changes? You are wasting peoples' time by doing this.
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the 20.0.5 update, there is now a user facing preference under Preferences > General... and check "Use Legacy Free Transform"

Use this preference instead of the PSUserConfig.txt method.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Jun 19, 2019 Jun 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Use Legacy Free Transform" ??? This is the language you use?
Why not make it mean something?
"Use SHIFT to constrain Free Transform" would have made sense.
Of course, it would have made sense to include this from day one and had it checked by default. Then if anyone wanted to change the way their application worked, they could try un-ticking it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we need to remove the old PSUserConfig.txt entry after this release is installed? Or perhaps will it be used to define this checkbox initially and then redundant?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Holi cow.
Just installed update.
My Photoshop now ignores my PSUserConfig.txt entry AND the "Use Legacy Free Transform" box is unticked.
This update has reverted my SHIFT-to-Constrain settings AGAIN!
#facepalm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI: This is not fixed in the 20.0.5 update that contains a "Use Legacy Free Transform" preference. There also seems to be no way to move the centre point of the scale to set an origin as before. You can hold down Option/Alt and click a set to set a scale point, but you can't do this on a handle (the corners or border midpoints) and there is no visual indicator of where you set it. No ability to snap as before either. All bad and a reduction in functionality in my opinion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After 20.0.5 the constrain behaviour does not work on the mid-point handles.
How long has the ability to move the scale centre point been missing? That's a big omission IMHO. Especially when I want to constrained-scale from an edge centre point.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found a new "Show Reference Point" tick-box in the Options window/palette!
I guess this was another newer addition that came disabled...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a new "Show Reference Point" tick-box in the Options window/palette!
I guess this was another newer addition that came disabled...
It allows you to see the old reference point target, move it around, then scale to achieve the outcome your diagram describes. The mid-point handles remain limited in use and "Constrain" does not effect them.

October 2018: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2550466

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2019 Jun 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, the team at Adobe really need to do a better job notifying customers of changes like this.

We expect better than to have to exit the software we pay to use, to search online for answers.

We should not need to look into patch notes or forum posts to find out why one of the single most-used tools in all of Photoshop has changed behaviour after 15+ years.

Adobe's rinky-dink approach to customer experience is tiresome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 24, 2019 Jun 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why are they insisting on plinking around with WELL ESTABLISHED TOOLS? I use 10 image editing applications everyday. Do I really have to learn a new set of trick for a program I have owned since 1991??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bring back Proportional scale in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeffrey, this is not good enough. It's been many months since the free transform fiasco began, and you still haven't addressed one of the most glaring (and oft-complained about) problems: inconsistent transform behaviour between layer types. If you're going to ill-advisedly fool around with the default free transform behaviour then so be it, but for God's sake, finish the job!

With "Use Legacy Free Transform" unchecked, shift constrains vector layers, while it unconstrains raster, smart object, and text layers. Not to mention that Photoshop's default behaviour is now largely contrary to the behaviour in Illustrator, After Effects etc. This is poor interface design no matter how you slice it.

It adds insult to injury to refer to the previous (sensible, consistent) behaviour as "legacy" when the new feature remains unfinished, inconsistent and illogical. At the very least, the new behaviour should be called "beta" or "experimental" (and turned off by default) until you finally finish implementing it. 

I'm sure it's very tempting to write off the deluge of criticism you've received over this issue as just being the white noise of the angry internet masses. But honestly, Adobe dropped the ball on this one, and made some objectively and glaringly obvious poor decisions, the solutions to which are likewise glaringly obvious. 

Spending 8 months to add a legacy checkbox smacks of 'throw the complainers a bone to shut them up'. It signals that whoever's in charge of things over there hasn't actually listened to the customers, or genuinely comprehended what Adobe's mistakes were.

Votes

Translate

Translate