• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform rotate handle click zone is too small (for auto-commit change)

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rotate handles' interaction radius seem so much smaller now since the patch. You used to be able to just drag pretty much anywhere and be able to start rotating, but now after the patch I have to be relatively close to the handles in order to start rotating. Quite inconvenient because there's no reason for my cursor to do anything else when in transform mode, why restrict it?

Is there any kind of setting (I couldn't find any) I can change to revert back to previous?

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019
Click to commit is a separate/new feature, for better or worse, than "legacy transform" which only deals with aspect ratio behavior and how that was applied based on layer type. The combination of Legacy Transform and OnCanvasClickToCommit 0 should revert to PS 2018 behavior all around.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018
Thanks. Engineering is working on ways to improve the current experience.

To disable Click to Commit, 

Add

OnCanvasClickToCommit 0

to the PSUserConfig.txt. 

See this document for more detailed instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate
78 Comments
Explorer ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every single day, I'm interrupted, slowed down, and insulted by the busted UI of Photoshop 2019. I want to slap somebody. 

I've half-talked the boss into canceling some of our CC seats that barely get used. He thinks I'm trying to save him money, but really I just crave revenge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At last you can use PSUserConfig.txt to get rid of this really annoying Auto-commit: Use "OnCanvasClickToCommit 0" https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much for the info, Olaf!! This link should be a sticky in all PS related forums. Small steps to a functioning software.
Creating worlds for screen and paper - also offering photo resources and HDRIs on www.dziga.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 29, 2019 May 29, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding this to the main thread in case anyone missed Olaf's comment reply above: you can now disable auto commit (as well as the default proportional transform) with PSUserConfig.txt

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 30, 2019 May 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And thank you for doing so!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is disastrous. We need to be able to disable auto-commit. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 18, 2019 Jun 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pasting the info by Olaf and Joel:

Add OnCanvasClickToCommit 0 to the PSUserConfig.txt

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html 

You can disable the auto-commit. Unfortunately, this doesn't change the fact that the rotate handles are still too small (or does it? I don't recall right now).
Creating worlds for screen and paper - also offering photo resources and HDRIs on www.dziga.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Sep 18, 2019 Sep 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In case Adobe a) forgot that no one likes the click-commit or b) is hoping that everyone forgets that this is a terrible workflow, I'm here to bump this after losing a lengthy Transform because I clicked 101 pixels too far from my selection.         I'm going to go peel the barcode stickers off my fruit now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This new behavior is insane. Put your pointer too close to the object and you accidentally rotate. Put your pointer too far from the object and you accidentally cancel the transformation. Shame on you, Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't notice the above method to disable this. Glad it's there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's DisableOnCanvasClickToCommitForComplexTransformations  My emphasis.  And IMO, it should be for any transformation. Not just "complex" ones. I see no reason for them to determine what is a complex transformation and what is a "simple one" that we won't mind performing again if we accidentally click outside the box. So they're halfway to fixing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, but let's use an analogy.   I have a car and the maker has replaced the windshield with frosted glass because frosted glass has come back in style, though I don't recall asking for frosted glass.        The manufacturer says, "well, roll down your window and stick your head out and you'll be able to see fine again."

So instead, we have to waste time online looking for a workaround.   Then, with workaround in hand, we Search for, not find, figure out we have to create, and save in the correct folder a config file, enter in a line of text, and restart Photoshop.     Measure with a micrometer. Mark with chalk.. Cut with an axe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> have a car and the maker has replaced the windshield with frosted glass because frosted glass has come back in style, though I don't recall asking for frosted glass.   

Sadly, apparently 3 ways to commit a transform wasn't enough for a large portion of their survey respondents, or whomever they study for the demographics reports companies these days live and die by. I don't get it, either, but I'm okay if clicking on a layer or new tool commits the action. I can live with some compromise.  I'm not okay with clicking on the canvas to commit—under any circumstances. With 3 other options for committing still available to us, there's no reason either text OR transforms need to be committed ON the canvas.

But I don't think they changed it just because they wanted to. I'm more of the view that  "studies" showed a lot of people found all the other ways just too difficult or time-consuming for them. (sigh)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guess is that they are pandering to the tens, possibly dozens of future users who will make their living "working" in Photoshop on the upcoming "full" version of Photoshop for the iPad, many of those who will do so without a keyboard with an "Enter" key.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering the iPad is ALL touch, a single tap to commit would be devastating. I can't quite buy the iPad theory, although I can buy the idea it came up for as "beneficial" to future novice users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A single tap commit does seem nervous on a Pad. However whenever I try to double click with my pen, that's not easy either. It's usually too slow.

With music IOS apps, they don't bother porting one version to the other. They develop each version to it's strengths and weaknesses.

I've said this long ago, perhaps it is inevitable that more and more users move to Pads/Tablets. I still do not think 1000s of companies are overhauling PCs, re-training employees and re-structuring workflows anytime soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i think adding two small green/red buttons to the side of the transform frame would go a long ways towards solving this issue for all users. Preferences could disable, but for people who want/need an indicator for apply/cancel, the UI addition would help guide them

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhh, like InDesign with all their widgets festooning their frames—which I like as a more occasional user, while all the power users seem to complain about them being an eyesore and a distraction. LOL

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2019 Nov 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can confirm this is still working (and necessary) in Photoshop 2020

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 14, 2019 Nov 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The default zone for click to commit should be a lot more tolerant for rotate in the current version, Photoshop 2020 v21.x or later. Let us know if you're still having trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

Thank the team for the change, though technically, the option to "use legacy transform" isn't truly completely legacy. Increased tolerance is not the same as true legacy, as it still does the commit behavior. Granted,  It works most of the time for me and is a welcome change. 

Here is my issue. As I was not completely satisfied, I added the PSUserConfig.txt with "OnCanvasClickToCommit 0" which worked completely in previous versions. I discovered that your current "increased tolerance" is still enforced until one has initiated a rotation. Am I just stuck with this more generous tolerance now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click to commit is a separate/new feature, for better or worse, than "legacy transform" which only deals with aspect ratio behavior and how that was applied based on layer type. The combination of Legacy Transform and OnCanvasClickToCommit 0 should revert to PS 2018 behavior all around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That has not been my experience. With OnCanvasClickToCommit 0 saved to my prefs folder, the new wider rotation tolerance remains the same until you begin a rotation, thereafter, you can click anywhere outside to continue rotation, indicating that OnCanvasClickToCommit 0 is partially working.

In v20, the initial click to rotate could begin anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2019 Nov 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Charles, 

what if you uncheck "Legacy Transform" but keep the user pref file?

I just installed the newest build and added my PSUserConfig with OnCanvasClickToCommit 0 without changing any preferences in PS itself and on first glance the behaviour seems identical to old school legacy transform.

The rotate handles can be grabbed anywhere now. Please let me know if I misunderstood your issue.

@Jeffrey: Thanks for the update on the issue.

EDIT: Okay, it does not work as before because the entry in the PSUserConfig "TransformProportionalScale 0" is not having any effect anymore. I still get seemingly "classic" transform by using a combination of "Use Legacy Transform" in PS and "OnCanvasClickToCommit 0" in the config.

Take care,
Dziga

Votes

Translate

Translate