• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Transform rotate handle click zone is too small (for auto-commit change)

Explorer ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The rotate handles' interaction radius seem so much smaller now since the patch. You used to be able to just drag pretty much anywhere and be able to start rotating, but now after the patch I have to be relatively close to the handles in order to start rotating. Quite inconvenient because there's no reason for my cursor to do anything else when in transform mode, why restrict it?

Is there any kind of setting (I couldn't find any) I can change to revert back to previous?

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019
Click to commit is a separate/new feature, for better or worse, than "legacy transform" which only deals with aspect ratio behavior and how that was applied based on layer type. The combination of Legacy Transform and OnCanvasClickToCommit 0 should revert to PS 2018 behavior all around.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018
Thanks. Engineering is working on ways to improve the current experience.

To disable Click to Commit, 

Add

OnCanvasClickToCommit 0

to the PSUserConfig.txt. 

See this document for more detailed instructions: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/enable-optional-extensions-photoshop-cc.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate
78 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree completely, but the infuriating thing isn't even that. It's the fact that they didn't offer an option. That's almost disrespectful.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think it is totally disrespectful to us long term PS users. I hope some sense prevails and Adobe reverts these issues as they were. 
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't get used to anything there's in new Photoshop as like others I downgraded it to vers. 19.1.7. I could still use it if that was done right way, so without unexpected occurences (ie. everything that was previously thought before giving to use) or at least letting something that's obviously desired - preference / options checkbox! Then I could try that to get to know what's better for me indeed, or sometimes to practise it before I feel comfortable with and I am ready to resign from old method.

Now it's like we don't have choise, as we got forced to use it without time to adapt for it! This is not some feature you have much time to learn, but it's behaviour of often used 'tool', that you can't just start using it as human brain needs time to be ok with unusual, different and complex mechanism.

So no option, no feel I want to try it when I have will and time for, eventually only then get used!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum is not only one place where people jeer those warped changes. Check out others, like regular Adobe Photoshop forum where I see still new topics are beeing created about, while others continued. Then read the comments and do the same under youtube records and many different source articles about new Ps, specifically dedicated to oddities in comments sections as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The beauty of the "rotate by clicking anywhere outside" is that you don't NEED to look to rotate. You hit Cmd-t, effortlessly swing your cursor out of the transform box and rotate happily away, secure in knowing you are far out enough to rotate in finer increments.

Sigh.

But If Adobe is bent on making this a thing, at least make the cursor for rotate more pronounced. Maybe even make the cursor change to "commit transform" when we've had the misfortune to stray more than an inch away from the transform box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get rid of auto-commit for transform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd prefer to not give them an out.
The behavior should either be reverted or an alternative behavior (legacy) checkbox added in Preferences > Tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the cursor change to a check mark when the next click will commit whatever you're working on wouldn't hurt though. I just can't see them getting rid of it completely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some thoughts after a month of using 2019... 

I reverted to "shift-to-constrain" after a few days of realizing that even trying to retrain my muscle memory would still leave me with UI inconsistencies. Don't get me started on Distort.

Rotate still annoys, but much less now that I know that the command (windows control) key temporarily neutralizes the auto commit "feature", when I thought only the shift key worked (and then you had to let go if you wanted to rotate freely), I was much more irritated. I think I can train myself to do that, and realistically, this is probably not a high priority for Adobe. Longtime/pro users are a smaller and smaller percentage of their revenue stream every year and you can't fight the math. 

I'll still protest every episode of UX sabotage, but this forum is probably more effective to share workarounds than to fight the power. Grateful for everyone's tips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Genius! Nice find. It is the command key for Mac. STILL, Adobe should give the option to flip flop that, so that command-click equals commit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

agreed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little more fuel for the fire -
Just noticed this new change to the auto-commit region, when transforming, conceals yet another UX wonk for established users:  While transforming, we can no longer RIGHT-CLICK to get the transform operation context menu, with only our mouse, to change transform type (warp, distort, perspective, etc) or flip horizontally/vertically IF we accidentally right-click OUTSIDE of the invisible 100px zone. It commits the transform, instead. whooops, CTRL+Z

Both left-click AND right-click both just commit the transform if outside the 100px zone.

Yes, I can hold Control and then right-click anywhere I want in order to get the desired context menu.
Didn't have to do that before, though. Why not require me to hold Alt and Shift as well? 
Why is pressing ENTER suddenly taboo? I blame the patriarchy.

Either way, transforming feels like it's more difficult and tedious than ever in v20.0.1.

Adobe: "But it's just ONE key press."
User: "But it's just one key press I perform 317 times a day."

It's not really about time, though. It's about intuitive software ui that feels like an ally, not an enemy.
I sound like a whiny baby, but . . . this is the reality of ux - it's extremely delicate.

RackMultipart20181122125306ffy-f9354a45-0d80-4db2-a9ad-b9d6e14bad10-1524709783.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What an amazing upgrade to your workflow! No longer are you burdened by needing to hold shift while scaling, but now you get to hold down a new key while rotating or you'll lose all your transformations! Progress!
?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, this change was made for the people who use Ps once a week/month/year/decade, not for the daily users/professionals.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm totally over Adobe's new PS versions. All it does is cause me grief!

The last two versions of PS especially! Too many bugs to list but it's telling me that Adobe should hire Beta testers before releasing any new versions. We pay big money to use the software and our workflow shouldn't be inconvenienced because Adobe wants to rush out a new version.

I and I guess the majority would be happier with fewer releases of new versions if the new versions were properly tested beforehand and then released bug free.

Photoshop used to be the go to software for designers and artists but Photoshop's reputation has plummeted. You only have to Google to see how unhappy people are with the buggy Photoshop software. Shame on you Adobe.

Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are still so many ways to say the same. Too bad I can't only agree with you but still feel there is no hope anything is going to be changed 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2018 Dec 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new transform tool in photoshop 2019 is not workable. Simply because to transform an object, the cursor needs to be close to one of the transformation anchor points. In the older version I was able to transform an object no matter where my curser was. Now I have to be really close to a point. Being far away from an actor point apply the transformation. This needs to change urgently !
If there is already a solution, then tell me how.
Also I agree with new developments and new tools that get introduced over the years to make photoshop better.
However to change tools that have to run on autopilot is simply an unneccesary nightmare for daily professional photoshop users.
It's like buying a new car where the break and the gas gets swapped. 
Not cool. Please fix !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold down the command key when you click outside to rotate or grab a guide.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, there's no fix for this. Those of us who are daily Ps users who need to get our jobs done apparently weren't a consideration for this workflow breaking change.
Currently the only way to revert back to the previous behavior is to use CC2018 and uninstall the current version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had to revert back to CC 2018. CC 2019 is totally out of whack!
Rosa

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is another bogus new feature. There was nothing wrong with transform Adobe. Who approved these changes? The smaller hotspot for rotate is complete garbage. So you can change back to legacy transform by using a text document in preferences which makes CC2019 usable, but then now rotate sucks. Back to CC2018 I'm afraid and that awful splash screen. Make a patch dudes, this can't wait until CC2020!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2019 Jan 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news? This is excruciating for some of us who use Photoshop all day every day. Can we expect a fix before 2020? Or even then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 15, 2019 Mar 15, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that answers my question. 

I'm still plagued by the Auto Commit feature/bug on a daily basis, even though I know all the workarounds.

One of the main reasons to pay me more per hour than the new guy, is that after almost 20 years, I work quickly and automatically. Carelessly breaking my muscle memory with poorly-thought-out changes deteriorates the service I provide to my clients. 

There are changes, and then there are bugs. I expect changes with every version, and adapt to them. From the Photoshop veteran's perspective, rotating, and creating guides while transforming aren't updated, they're broken. Saying "this is how it is now" isn't a fix. Saying "it's being looked at" isn't a fix. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

May 16, 2019 May 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once again, it seems that Adobe is pandering to people who dink around with their fingers on tablets, while destroying usability for people who need precision to get actual work done. Jeffrey, do you have any product testers working at Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 23, 2019 May 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BUMP... half a year later and nothing happened besides Adobe denying you access to older versions. Please fix this finally...unbelievable
Creating worlds for screen and paper - also offering photo resources and HDRIs on www.dziga.com

Votes

Translate

Translate