• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2024 takes ages to open any file and severely limited saving format options.

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2024 Mar 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried Photoshop CC 2024, and am not impressed.  First of all, it takes up to 5 minutes to open any file, even a small JPG file.  What's worse is I can't save to *.PNG files anymore, which I need to do for my UltraHD Texture pack for Doom.  I can only save as:

Photoshop (*.PSD, *.PDD,*.PSDT)

Large Image Format (*.PSB)
OpenEXR (*.EXR)
Photoshop Raw (*.RAW)

Portable Bit Map (*.PBM, *.PHM, *.PPM, *.PNM, *.PRM, *.PAM)

Radiance (*.HDR, *.RGBE, *.XYZE)

Photoshop will not let me save ANY other formats,  like *.JPG, *.PNG, *.BMP, etc.

I tried enabling legacy save as, in the file handling section of the preferences.  No dice.  How am I supposed to make my textures if I can't save them as *.PNG?!

This is a link to my online repository showing what I have been making with Photoshop, but can't make it with Photoshop 2024, due to no longer being able to save as a *.PNG files
https://www.deviantart.com/hoover1979/gallery/59360732/ultrahd-doom-texture-work

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I can't use most of the transparency options in this version of Photoshop.  Many of them (like Overlay) are always now greyed out.  This never happened to me before on ANY other version of Photoshop.  I will revert to an older version as it is now physically impossible to create my content with Photoshop CC 2024, due to these glaring and severe issues!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I went to Photoshop 2023, and I STILL can't save to *.JPG, *.PNG, *.BMP, etc.  WTF were Adobe smoking when they decided to pull this crap?!!  I just want to create my content, but now I can't due to this massive problem.  I might have to abandon my project and terminate my subscription, as I am not going to pay for a program I can no longer use, through no fault of my own. On PS CC 2023, most of the transparency options are STILL greyed out.  I always use Multiply, Screen, and Overlay transparencies when I make my textures.  Every one of those modes is now greyed out.  There are no words in the English language (or any other language) to express how frustrated and angry I am over this!!!!

What is the last version of Photoshop that supports the full list of saving formats and not being locked out of most of the transparency settings?  I want to revert to that version, provided that it is supported by Filter Forge 13 Pro plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried saving it as a *.TIF file, to then open it in another program and save it as a *.PNG.  any TIFF file made in Photoshop can ONLY be opened in Photoshop. The same goes for other formats.  No other program will open them, they just say it's not a valid. TIF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 21, 2024 Mar 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

File formats that do not support all properties of the document are under Save A Copy.

Either make sure your file complies with the file format specification, or use Save A Copy (discarding unsupported data).

TIFF is an Adobe specification, so if other applications can't open it they're doing something wrong. 

Taking five minutes to open a file is unheard of. That's a separate and bigger problem, and you may be asked to provide a sample file. Something's definitely wrong there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried "save as copy" and still can't save BMP, JPG, and PNG.  I tried enabling legacy save as copy in the file handling section of the preferences, and still can't choose BMP, JPG, and PNG.  I have tried everything I could, but it's impossible to save to my desired format.  Although I have other programs that can open TIF files, TIF files saved in Photoshop can only be opened in Photoshop.  When I try to open it in any other program, it just says it's not a valid TIF file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to give us some details about these files. What's the pixel size? Layers, transparency, channels? What else do they contain?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I start with a multi-layered PSD image.  I make my filters in Filter Forge, then get down to the manual work.  When I am happy with my texture I flatten the image and save it as an uncompressed PNG file.  I have been able to do this successfully, until now.  Photoshop will not let me save it to PNG and it won't let me save it to any file that could be opened by any other program.  This means I will no longer be able to get my work out of Photoshop and into the game.  Also, I can't use most transparency modes anymore.  I used to use screen, multiply, and overlay a lot in my work, and all of these transparency modes are now always greyed out.  The images are set to RGB,32Bit color, like they were when I could save to PNG, and use screen, multiply, and overlay transparencies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that 32 bits per channel, as in HDR? Don't think PNG supports that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

32bit color in 8bit colorspace (16.7m colors), not HDR (that's in a 10bit colorspace (1.07b colors).  The same as they were when Photoshop would let me save to PNG.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just need to be absolutely clear about this, because those file formats you list are those that do support 32 bits per channel. The others don't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I open a JPG file in Photoshop and just hit "save" instead of it just saving over itself, it opens the save as dialogue instead, and, of course, only formats that can't be opened in any other program are available.  This is with making no changes, just opening and hitting "save"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The images are set to RGB,32Bit color,

Just remember that the PNG description 'RGB 32 bit colour' refers to 8 bits integer /channel for each of RGB + 8 bit Alpha. That is equivalent to Photoshop's 8 bit/channel.

If you set Photoshop to RGB '32 bit' then you are setting 32 bits floating point / channel which is a completely different bit depth and you will not see PNG, bmp or jpeg as a format to save that bit depth.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines