• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Apple Pencil Lag on iPadOS/mobile

Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2019 Nov 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When using the Apple Pencil 1 on the iPad (6th Gen), there is a slight delay in Photoshop when compared to drawing in the Apple Notes and OneNote apps. It happens more often when the Pencil is titled. Pressure sensitivity is off for both brush settings.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
iPadOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Fixed in Phoshop for iPadOS 1.1.1 or later.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
28 Comments
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2019 Nov 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same. 1st-gen pencil, 2nd-gen 12.9" iPad Pro. No lag in other programs, including Notes, Lightroom, Procreate, and Clip Studio Pro. In Photoshop everything is slow to react to the pencil, and even something as basic as drawing a straight, plain black line (with no pressure options enabled, no smoothing, no tilt or texture, just the simplest hard round brush) is laggy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. First gen iPad Pro 12.9” with first gen Apple Pencil. 
It’s particularly bad with the healing brush tool, where with a relatively small brush, it takes PS up to 5-10 seconds to catch up to a small scribble I’ve made with the tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 17, 2019 Nov 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The common denominator here is 1st gen. pencil. Try to get to an Apple Store or other retailer and try the 2nd generation pencil.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Firstly, no, the common denominator here is Photoshop Mobile. You'll notice that is the one program people are experiencing this with. I myself pointed out that no other comparable programs are suffering from this behaviour, and nobody else has cited any other programs being laggy.
Secondly, that is the most offensively patronising and condescending suggestion you could possibly make. The very implication that a fault with Photoshop could, let alone should, be solved by users going out and spending another £100 on another peripheral, despite no other error with existing units, is so arrogant and detached from reality that I have to question whether or not you are replying only to intentionally agitate others.

When the hardware has no problems with four other programs, including another Adobe program (and we can also add Artstudio Pro and Autodesk Sketchbook to that list; I didn't mention them last time but they don't lag, either), and only Photoshop Mobile is lagging, you know the problem is with the software, not the hardware.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 18, 2019 Nov 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How could I know that you are so easily offended!?

I based my response not on the desire to offend, but on my experience with both the first and second generation pencils. The second generation pencil performs perfectly in Photoshop on my 12.9” iPad Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have both older and newer iPads and pencils. Photoshop is advertised to work on both, but the older hardware with older pencil is not comparable to the newer one. Perhaps there is some type of bug, or perhaps it is a lack of power in the hardware. If it is buggy performance, the Adobe engineers will work to fix it. However, if the hardware can't keep up, I would expect them to change the support plan and take the 1st gen devices off the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2019 Nov 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It happens also with the Ipad pro 3rd! Definitely there is something going on! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2019 Dec 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just got a new ipad pro 11“ and thought my pencil 2 was broken because of the lag in PS mobile. Turns out, it works just fine in any other app.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also experiencing this - iPad Pro 2017 10.5" and Apple Pencil 1 - the pencil works perfectly in other apps (including Adobe Fresco) so hopefully this is just a fixable bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 21, 2019 Dec 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m also experiencing this. I have an older iPad Pro 9.7 and a 1st Generation Apple Pencil and experience lag. I’ve noticed that the lag also gets worse the more I zoom in on an image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2019 Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have notice that the lag become when i open converted psd files

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 2nd gen pencil and 2nd IPad Pro 12.9, Its impossible to draw in Photoshop! Its so slow!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would take the iPad and pencil to the Apple Store for diagnosis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The pencil works just fine in other apps (like ps express), the delay only occurs in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Major lag on photoshop using the pen but using my finger it works perfectly fine. Also fine in other apps. Only a problem in photoshop for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just got a iPad Pro 12.9 and 2nd gen pencil. One week into using photoshop and the lag just using a brush is terrible. Very disappointing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There’s either a lot of dodgy pencils on the market or Photoshops caught Covid

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 19, 2020 Dec 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a third generation iPad Air. Admittedly I’m using an off brand Stylus, but it works completely Normal on all other apps.

my issue is that photo shop will not show me my brushstrokes when I’m using the stylus until I have lifted my pencil off of the screen. Then all of the strokes that I have registered will kick in immediately. If I use my finger it will show the brushstrokes as I am applying them. But if I use the pencil, it will not show me anything until I lift the pin off of the screen and then everything applies all at once.

I don’t know if this is the same issue as The lag other people are experiencing? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 26, 2021 Jan 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the older 9.7” iPad me 1st gen pencil. I have done a lot of work on a largish file (a map) but several months ago I had to give up because the lag suddenly got worse during an update. I have a business to run so I left the problem as it was a favour. However, it’s not really good enough as I’m paying the Adobe sub. BTW the 2gen pencil only works with later pro iPads so this is not a small outlay Adobe are expecting of us cash cows. The current financial climate isn’t a time for greed. We need to be efficient and slick to get us all out of the hole the entire world is now in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SECOND GENERATION, SECOND, SECOnd geenration  pencil.

on the FOURTH GEENRATION ipad pro

HAD THE SAME PROBLEM

YES, JUST ON PHOTOSHOP!"!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SECOND GENRATION,SECOND, SECOND generation apple pencil

with FOURTH FOURTH FOURTH generation Ipad prop has the same problem.

ONLY ON PHOTOSHOP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve tried it with different pencil brands also, the issue is with photoshop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same!!! Maddening - nothing appears until I lift the device/pencil - no problems in other apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2021 Apr 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have this same problem on 1st gen ipad pro 11 and 1st gen pencil. That would bad to update my hardware just to run photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed in Phoshop for iPadOS 1.1.1 or later.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate