Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

100+ photo collage using PS

Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello.

I ask for help how to create a collage using PS of 150 images...

Need to auto arrange and no (vertical nor horizontal) borders between adjacent photos. 

Thank you in advance. 

Neil

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Go to File > Scripts > Load files into Stack.  Select multiple image files or a folder of images and click OK.
  2. Go to Image > Canvas Size.
  3. Make the canvas of sufficient size to accomodate your project.
  4. Click on Layers and use the Move tool to position as desired.

Hope that helps.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your images do not have identical Aspect Ratios you will need to virtually crop all the images to the same aspect ratio and scale them to the same size to tile them onto a canvas. That would tile 150 images  into a matrix  that has a number of row and  column that works for 150 imaged.  You could use the Paste Image Roll script in my Free Photoshop Photo Collage and Mockup Toolkit.  You can read about the script here PasteImageRoll. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@neilc43990462 wrote:

Need to auto arrange and no (vertical nor horizontal) borders between adjacent photos. 

Does your Creative Cloud subscription include Adobe InDesign? It has features that would let you make the collage you described in less than 1 minute, as shown in the animation below.

InDesign Gridify 150 images no spaces between.gif

For the details on how each of the steps works in InDesign, watch this video by Laurie Ruhlin.

If you don’t have InDesign, and you must do it in Photoshop, manually importing and arranging 150 images will take a very long time, even if you take advantage of the Align and Distribute Layers features. It would be better to try something that automates the process, such as the scripts JJMack linked to in his post.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sure a programs like Indesign could do the layout much fasten then my Photoshop script.   I do not install Indesign for I do not know how to use it and did not want to purchase an other Adobe application. And I have Photoshop that  has Bridge. But Bridg's output module is not what I wanted  and for is only supports  a few layouts and paper sizes.  Also if the image's aspect ratio does not match the tile's  the will be white boarders in some images.

PasteImageRoll was designed for roll paper support.  However,  you can set any width and length you want. So any Size is supported.  You cans even create small collages  to be used on web pages. The script actually determine the length of the paper by the number of files selected.

My Script does not have a elegant graphical  file selection UI like Bridge or one as good Adobe script  Load Files into a stack. I just lets you select files in a folder. To tile.   All PasteImageRoll  has is a simple Layout dialog that let you set the Size and Resolution you want the document to have.  The Image Tile Size you want used.  Image will be sized to fill the tile size.  The are also option to set  margin white space and white  space between tiles. Images can be rotated for best sit into the tiles spent ration.  If an Image's Aspect Ratio is not the same as the tile  size  the resized image will look like a centered tile aspect ratio crop.  If you edit the script it easy to set default values for the Dialog settings by changing the  dflt Vars near the top of the script.  If you know anything  about scripting you can easily change how the script well build the file list to be tiled.  It just a matter of un commenting one line and commenting the one line that was not comment out.  

The vars

//Set Defaults here
var dfltRes = 300;		// default print PPI
var dfltCpys = 1;		// default image copies
var dfltPw   = 16;		// default roll paper width in inches
var dfltPl   = '';		// default roll paper length in feet. if set to null script will use 100 ft.
var dfltCw   = 4;		// default cell width in inches best if it divides paper with evenly.
var dfltCh   = 6;		// default cell height in inches
var dfltBw   = 0;		// default Border width in inches example .2 for 1/5 inch
var dfltGw   = 0;		// default Grout width in inches example .2 for 1/5 inch
var dfltRt   = true;		// default Rotate image orientation for best fit
var dfltSt   = false;		// default Stamp File Name on bottom of image
var dfltSp   = 1;		// default percent of Document width the text margin
var dfltPos  = 8;		// default position bottom center 
//var dfltFont = "Tahoma";	// Tahoma Tahoma-Bold
var dfltFont = "Calibri-Bold";	// Calibri-Light Calibri-LightItalic Calibri Calibri-Italic Calibri-BoldItalic
var dfltClr  = new SolidColor(); dfltClr.rgb.hexValue = 'ffffff';  // White

File Selection

//var file = buildFilelist ();			// Select image files from any folder till you stop and cancel
var file = selectFile(true);			// Select Image files from a single folder
//var file = selectsImagesFolder(true,true,"jpg");// Select the root of the Image tree and filter jpeg image file types to tiled
//var file = selectsImagesFolder(true,false);	// Select the root of the Image tree all image file types in the tree will be tiled
//var file = selectsImagesFolder(true,true);	// Select the root of the Image tree and filter image file types to tiled
//var file = selectsImagesFolder(false,false);	// Select a folder containg Image files all image file types in the folder will be tiled
//var file = selectsImagesFolder(false,true);	// Select a folder containg Image files and filter image file types to be tiled

PasteImageRoll  

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/PasteImageRoll.jsx 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, do you have lightroom? Because it has a nice collage feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good idea. Although to be clear, Lightroom won't do it; Lightroom Classic will, in the Print module, which can print to JPEG. And the reason that’s such a great idea is it’s even faster than in InDesign.

Lightroom Classic grid 10 x 15.gif

Yes, the Output panel in Bridge also does it, but I could not find a setting to fill each cell proportionally. Does that setting exist? If not, all 150 photos must be pre-cropped exactly to the final cell size if neilc43990462 doesn’t want any white space between photos.

Bridge-grid-10-x-15.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also vote Lightroom Classics print module for a collage.  It's very easy and intuitive.

George F, Fine Art Landscape Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also Adobe bridge if you select output...:

Screenshot 2021-10-18 at 08.58.23.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I added an Option to PasteImageRoll script to Stamp File Name onto the pasted in Images.  I wanted to see how long it would take to create your 150 image collage. 150 images 3"x 2" would be 30" x 30" Tiled 10 columns 15 rows.  It took  8 minuets including the name stamp.

Capture.jpg

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/PasteImageRoll.jsx 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could upload these scripts somewhere we can easily find them, like Github, or Google Drive? The website http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/PasteImageRoll.jsx  seems down at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sadly, JJMack passed away recently. I don’t know if he made his scripts available somewhere else, but maybe someone else knows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After JjMack passed, I posted copies from my personal archive, however they may or may not be the latest versions.

https://github.com/MarshySwamp/JJMack-Archive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I love seeing JJ's posts get a bump.  I wonder if the 'arthpass' image is Arthur's Pass in New Zealand?  I know he visited NZ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines