• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2000 pixels on the long dimension @ 72 DPI? How to achieve?

New Here ,
May 31, 2018 May 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey everyone,

I'm applying for a grant and currently dealing with this specification: JPEGs with 2000 pixels on the long dimension at 72 DPI. I have googled and googled and looked through this forum -- I'm still not clear on how to achieve both of these. Help? Please? I'm so frustrated!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a height restriction?

Are you resizing an existing image or creating a new one?

If creating a new one

If resizing - CTRL+I (image size)

adjust Resolution first to 72 and then change the width to 2000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I would recommend

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

lzehren  wrote

Hey everyone,

I'm applying for a grant and currently dealing with this specification: JPEGs with 2000 pixels on the long dimension at 72 DPI.

Pixel dimensions are screen units, Resolution is simply print instructions...irrelevant if the image is to be displayed on a monitor.

The "72 dpi" spec dates back to 1984 Macintosh monitors. Basically useless, but you don't want to argue.

The correct term for digital files is pixels and pixels per inch (or metric units where needed). Dpi would pertain to physical printing presses and that would depend on the type of printer. ppi is not the same as dpi.

If you have an existing image set to 2000 pixels horizontal and the setting is 300 ppi for example, you uncheck "resample" with the new Photoshop CC Image dialog and simply input 72 ppi  The Width and Height is simply how large it would be if printed out on paper. It would still be the same size on the screen and remain 2000 px.

Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 6.27.20 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines