• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

4x6 inch preset not printing as 4x6 photo print?

New Here ,
Jan 09, 2022 Jan 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, my name is Anthony. I am using Photoshop CS2. I took some Christmas pictures and plan am cropping them at the moment to be printed in various sizes. The issue that is bothering me is when I make a new canvas I select the 4x6 inches so I can printe 4x6 inch photos. I make sure the setup is in inches. I have attached a picture of the setup.4x6.jpg

So as you can see, any picture that I create should appear as 4x6 inches. Only when I view it as it's actual size on screen. It does not appear to be 4x6 inches. More around 3x5, maybe? I am worried when I go print these that they will not fill out the edges of a 4x6 print. I have heard of white "borders" on prints of pictures from major retail outlets, which, I am planning on going to Walmart. But I am not sure if I can control that at the moment. Any clarity on this possible issue would be GREATLY appreciated. Are my worries unfounded or is their something I need to do to make sure I am not making a mistake. The other sizes I am going to be printing in is 6x4 and 8x12. Thank you again for your time.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Anthony22578014la2b wrote:

Only when I view it as it's actual size on screen. It does not appear to be 4x6 inches. More around 3x5, maybe? I am worried when I go print these that they will not fill out the edges of a 4x6 print.

Which View magnification did you choose? 100%? Print Size?

Many computer displays do not show documents at actual print size. The way you can check yours in Photoshop is by choosing View > Rulers so that the on-screen rulers display on the document itself. Now hold an actual ruler up to the on-screen rulers. Do the numbers match? My guess is that the on-screen ruler units will be shorter than on your real ruler.

The good news is, if the on-screen ruler in Photoshop says it’s 4 x 6 inches, then it will actually print at 4 x 6 inches (as long as all printer settings are correct).

If you use the current version of Photoshop on a current operating system, the command View > Actual Size (not View > 100%) should be very accurate and match a real ruler, because of improved hardware/software integration in recent years. But Photoshop CS2 is over 15 years old.

There is a manual way to make Photoshop CS2 rulers match a real ruler by mathematically compensating for the resolution of your computer display, but it takes several steps and measurements. If you are interested in that, say so and we’ll post that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the prompt reply. I am running this version of photoshop because I rarely use it. At least recently and I did not want to upgrade, especially to the monthly fee they have going on right now. Maybe later, but not at the moment. My screen resolution is currenlty running at the recommended resolution of 1600x900. I am running Windows 10 and yes I have already noticed certain differences between running my copy of CS2 from W7 to W10. While viewing the finished pictures, they are at 100%. To get them to be at or at least as close as possible to 4x6 I have to set them at 130%. I am viewing them in Windows Photos. Screen resolution did pop up in my head but I figured the software would be programmed to compensate for that. But now that I see it is a possible issue, yes I would appreciate any help in making PCS2 ruler match a real ruler.

Also, before I finished this message I decided to check out the rule feature on PCS2 and even though it says my picture is 6x4 it does not match up to a real ruler. So I am hoping that is just a resolution matter. It does make me worry less that you said it should still print at the desired measurements. Again, thank you for any and all help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines