• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A few seconds using Free Transform causes Photoshop to stop responding (but not crash)

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2024 Apr 23, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few seconds of using Free Transform, Photoshop stops responding. It doesn't crash - it still looks like it's functioning as the marquee black and white dots still move, buttons respond when I hover over them etc. - but I can't click or interact with anything.

Things I have tried so far that didn't work:

• Reinstalling Photoshop
  • Deleting preferences
  • Disabling Flick Panning (suggested here)
  • Disabling Anti-Alias Guides and Paths (also suggested there)
  • Disabling Use Graphics Processor
  • Updating graphics drivers
  • Deleting a lot of files to free up disk space

Things that kinda worked:

• Windows + E to open up Windows Explorer lets Photoshop respond for maybe half a second. If I mash buttons, I can do a single move in this window, such as Undo, Save, or exit the Free Transform tool (which doesn't unfreeze Photoshop)
  • Windows + arrow keys to move and resize the window does the same thing

Photoshop is totally unusable because of this and it's driving me crazy.

Version is 25.7.0 on Windows 10.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Addition: This freezing is not limited to the Free Transform tool. It just happened while adjusting curves in the Curves window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @HarryBonyari ,

Sorry about the freeze behavior.

Have been trying to reproduce this on my Windows 10 system with 25.7, and so far have been unsuccessful.

Can you help provide some additional steps to reproduce this one?

Do you have more info on the type and size of the file you're working on?

Does this happen with all files? or any in particular?

Regards,

PG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply.

After some more testing, I have found that Free Transform is not relevant as this issue happens when using a variety of tools including Marquee and Magic Wand, and across different files. Photoshop just locks up after a random amount of time.

I know such vague info isn't particularly useful when it comes to troubleshooting - I'm really not sure what else I can do to diagnose the source of the issue though... The fact that using Windows shortcuts causes it to unlock for half a second seems to be the only real clue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 24, 2024 Apr 24, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the complete computer specs, including hard drives (how many, what kind, what is on each, what capacity, and how full)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2024 Apr 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-9750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
Installed RAM 24.0 GB (23.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

The only hard drive is C: which has 178GB free of 952GB.

I've attached a video of the issue happening, with the task manager visible so you can see memory use. After the click selecting the subject's skirt, Photoshop locks up and no amount of clicking will get a response.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the C drive an HDD or SSD?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an SSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue does not occur in 24.7.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm facing the same issue, PS version 25.7.0 on Windows 10.  

What i found out that, the software is not freeze or crash or unresponded, because when you rollover the tools, the top bar the layers, it's still shown hover effect/caption/highlight, it's just unclickable or no action is able to be done when you click around.

I suspect is some unseenable CTA layer/windows (example: yes, no, cancel etc) is open on top of PS and cause the software unusable unless the layer/window is closed/dismiss.

Photoshop is getting more and more unusable with this kind of irritating bugs, and we paid for the expensive subscription fee! Please fix it!

P/S: same issue happens in Illustrator too!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I got here by a Google search becasue I'm trying to research an issue that one of our employees is having. His computer would 'freeze up' when using Photoshop. I ended up trying to test as Remote Desktoping in as the user and found that Photoshop worked fine in Remote Desktop. 

His computer had been set up a loooong time ago, and I hadn't had anyone else with the error, so I wiped the computer and started over and it has some back a few days later. I suspect it's likely a bug in a recent update, so we'll try rolling back versions until it stops.

So 1) there's likely a bug with recent updates that hasn't been squashed yet and 2) Remote Desktop from a different computer might help as a workaround if you desperately need to save before rebooting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issues. After a half dozen actions or so, I'll get the same problem (buttons are hoverable, but not clickable). Not sure what the root cause is, but I've experienced it most commonly using the crop and transform tools.

Not trying to be hyerbolic here, but it is actually unusable at the moment for my work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same issue, photoshop seems to be fine, icons animate when i hover on, but i cant click anything, this happened when trying to use the perspective crop tool, now i cant do anything after a short time even when starting a new blank job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also cant close photoshop, have to do it with task manager.

Windows 10

Photoshop version 25.9

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far?
Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/troubleshoot-gpu-graphics-card.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 29, 2024 May 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Disabling the graphic thing seems to have worked out, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines