• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A Question about Photoshop Brushes?

Engaged ,
Nov 26, 2019 Nov 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can someone help clarify some assumptions I've believed for some time now. Is it still the principle that for instance I have PS cs5, when I create brushes, those brushes I create can be used in any version of Photoshop after but not before cs5 including the latest version or has something changed that notion. I know that I can't use brushes created in version of Photoshop made after cs5 I get an error stating these brushes were made in a newer version etc, etc. Can someone set me straight on the facts of brushs and software version compatability. Thanks in advance. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It depends on the brushes and the features they incorprate. 

Not sure when Bristle Brushes and Erodible Brushes for example were introduced but naturally in previous Photoshop versions the Brush engine simply can’t process them. 

Recently Brush Groups were introduced and again those would naturally »confuse« obsolete Brush engines. 

But you can assume upward Brush-compatibilty.

So if you create a Brush in an obsolete Photoshop version like CS5 other versions should have no problems with handling those abr-files. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So then, what I hear you saying is that the fundamental elements of code
covering basic functions of all brushes (.abr) are there as long as you
don't use advanced features present in the newer programs. Okay I got
that. I haven't kept up with the feature advancements in the newer versions
pertaining to the brushes and these "Erodible and Brush Groups" you speak
of are unfamiliar. Tell me if you will, where can I find more information
in the online Adobe help files would you have any links. Thank you for your

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you create Brushes based on the basic round form or with sampled brush-tips those can be used in higher Photoshop versions. 

The erodible and bristle brush tips might have been introsuced in CS6, the Groups maybe in CC 2018 and those can subsequently not be used in Photoshop versions prior to those respective versions. 

Have you found this page? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-modifying-brushes.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Great, thank you so much for that link. That helped a lot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines