• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action that can read and put metadata from CSV file?

Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2017 Feb 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI,

I just need to create an action that do:

1) read 1st column of CSV file

2) find the file named the same as the test in the 1st field of CSV

3) insert all column data into the appropriate meta field

then save the psd file

4) export same psd file as a JPG and PNG while maintaining the meta info

Is this something that Photoshop can do that?

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

mirza5313, there is obviously a communication and comprehension issue. If English is not your first language, then this may be difficult, I can’t describe this entire process any simpler than I have in past posts.

This whole project is implemented in two separate workflows:

1. Batch insert variable metadata into your master PSD files
  2. Batch create JPEG, PNG or other files from the PSD files, retaining the metadata

There are no actions to run, unless a batch action is going to be used to create the JPEG or other files.

A script can be used to insert the variable metadata into the master PSD files, however you were having problems with that, which is why I suggested using ExifTool instead of a script (both have their pros/cons).

ExifTool is outside of Photoshop and can’t be used with Photoshop.

I have provided exhaustive information on the workflow and what is required. I strongly suggest that you re-read all of my previous posts.

As an overview/summary of my past posts:

1. Use ExifTool to output the metadata tags as column headers in a CSV file (forum topic post #16), using an input file that contains known metadata so that you can easily identify which headers contain known information
  2. Copy the ExifTool generated tag headers into your current CSV file, replacing the incorrect headers with the ExifTool headers
  3. Ensure that multiple comma separated keywords are contained within leading and trailing straight double quote marks to ensure that the keywords are imported as multiple keywords, rather than as a single string of text
  4. Ensure that the source CSV file has a valid operating system path to the filename so that the metadata can be applied to each PSD file
  5. Finally, use the ExifTool command (forum topic post #47) to import the CSV data against the folder containing your PSD files, which completes the use of ExifTool for this project
  6. Now you would use Photoshop’s Image Processor, Image Processor Pro or a Batch Action to create JPEG, PNG or other versions of your PSD file containing the metadata inserted using the previous steps

Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines