Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Action to save as Jpeg in origin image folder

New Here ,
Sep 17, 2015 Sep 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everybody,

I tried to create an action to save as Jpeg but i have a problem.

I open an image, for example in "E:\folder1\"

I play action and surprise Photoshop don't save my image in "E:\folder1\" but save it in the last folder's image i save !

How i can modify action to save image in the same folder where it is originally ?

Thank you to help me and sorry for my very bad english...

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you checked your preferences/file handling and checked "Use Legacy Save As" - this has messed up many a script with the new save protocols. Checking this resolves it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jan 25, 2023 Jan 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

have you tried just using the (included) Image Processor script?

under the File menu > Scripts > Image Processor

you tell it which image(s) or folder to process, and you can specify the destination folder (I usually pick the same folder as the original)

You can save images as JPEG, PSD _and_ TIFF, all at the same time! Each image type goes into its own folder.

You also have the ability to run an action from the Actions panel on all the images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Quite difficult to follow. 

At the end, what would be the script that I can integrate into my action that will allow the img to be saved in the same folder as the original (re-place the orginial) ?

Thanks

-CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2023 Feb 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

Quite difficult to follow. 

At the end, what would be the script that I can integrate into my action that will allow the img to be saved in the same folder as the original (re-place the orginial) ?

Thanks

-CC

By @Charles91

The thread is eight years old and has many posts on side topics, so it is unclear which bit is difficult to follow.

For example, there is a Preference > File Handling setting to save to the same folder as the original, so no script is required. For scripting, in order to save into the same folder as the original, the file format and file saving options also need to be included.

Perhaps starting a new topic and clearly spelling out the situation, desired outcome and challenges would help to bring clarity to your situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for answering Stephen_A_MArsh,

I found that I'm not the only one having the issue of saving to orginal folder.

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/save-a-copy-not-saving-file-to-origin...

Even if in preferences > File Handling is set to "save as to original folder", and "save as to legacy" is cheked, and like some suggest, image preview is set to "Always save".

So I'm looking for a script to bypass this bug.

-CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset prefs which worked for some people in that topic?

OK, is this the same format and options or a different file format and options?

If different, what are they? Please provide a screenshot of the save format options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen, 

Exactly. I reseted my preferences, but without success. 

I finally manage to make my batch edit work and properly save edited images into the original folder (replace original image with the new edited one), but I had to go with this advanced batch script : : https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/how-to-stop-action-to-use-healing-bru...

This script override the "save as" action and save it as I want. (Also I had to test many times the advanced batch script. You must not chek the "replace file when saving", (even if counterintuitive), other ways it keeps saving a copy of the image into the main folder instead of the subfolder where it lives.

123.JPG

Still, I'll make a new post for a simple action saving to the correct orginal folder: 

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/action-to-save-as-jpeg-into-original-...

Regards, 

-CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aside from everything else, I would strongly advise against resaving/overwriting jpegs.

Jpeg compression is destructive, non-reversible and cumulative. Every resave degrades the file further.

This needs to be mentioned since many are not aware of this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2023 Nov 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I finally made it happened somehow by: 

- Using Cmd + E to fusion all the layers so you have only one layer
- Mode > Indexed Colors (so it become locked again)

- Then using the simple Cmd + S (save) 

One time it tried to ask me to save in the Adobe cloud... then I said no I put my computer. So it didn't work

The second time it just saved the damn file. So this time it's using it's actual path. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines