• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Add Layer Mask and Add Layer buttons not working

Explorer ,
Feb 23, 2020 Feb 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to the latest Photoshop version. Now, I find that, after a few minutes, the Add Layer Mask button and Add Layer button at the bottom of the layers panel do not work. I use a lot of layers and masks and this is frustrating. I have to shut down Photoshop and then reopen to regain functionality. Anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Hello, update to Ps 21.1.2, as it fixes this very issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2020 Mar 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having the same issue on a fresh wipe of Windows 10 and default Photoshop settings. I have an AMD Ryzen 3700x and after talking to some work people who are on Intel chips they don't have any issues. Curious if that has anything to do with it. 

That said, I find Photoshop 2020 to be unusably buggy so I'm just going back to 2019. It's performance really seems to have taken a hit:

• Selecting layers after a while takes seconds instead of being instant
  • Buttons stop working forcing a restart
  • Everytime I open the program I get a "Could not complete your request because the file cannot be found". I'm guessing this has to do with their cloud services but the one file I've saved in photoshop opens fine.
  • Everytime I open the program I get a "There was a problem with the generator". No idea what thats about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2020 Mar 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same issue... I look forward to fixing this error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A temporary solution! I'm also having this issue but there is a menu item that still work. Click "layer > layer mask > reveal all" and it will create a mask for selected layer. Frustrating but works to get masks until button is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 24, 2020 Mar 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all. I really wish Adobe did not save money on their programmers, it's so full of bugs everything. It is disgusting! Slowly other softwares will take over if they don't solve this. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 27, 2020 Mar 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having just experienced this problem, and finding a solution from this thread (dragging a layer onto the button "fixed" it)
-- I agree. Paying for this level of software every month makes me so mad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2020 Mar 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have this, as well as the new folder button not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2020 Apr 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 10, 2020 Apr 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me as well. what a mess.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 14, 2020 Apr 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, update to Ps 21.1.2, as it fixes this very issue: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/fixed-issues.html#photoshop-desktop-fixed-issues

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2020 Jul 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here.  This has been an ongoing issue for quite some time.  There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to why it happens and dragging a layer onto the stuck button does seem to reset it (thanks for that).  But this shouldn't be happening at all with a basic function that's been years in the program.

MacOS 10.15.6 (19G73)

PS 21.1.1

Screen Shot 2020-07-19 at 6.46.56 PM.png

UPDATE:  Just saw prior post about 21.1.2 update.  Installing now.  Fingers crossed! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, and, doest it work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed all these weird glitches only happened when in this latest version. And the "cloud" versions.  LEAVE PHOTOSHOP ALONE!  It was perfect 2 versions ago!  If you guys are so damn bored go make Animate more user friendly or After Effects.. LEAVE. PHOTOSHOP. ALONE.  It will end up as unusbale as MS Word. I literally cant even open that program beause theyve made it ridiculously unecesseraly full of sh*t and buttons and options and extra extra intefaces. Clearly theyre bored of there. And you guys seem pretty damn bored at Adobe if you keep messing with photoshop.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 28, 2020 Aug 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not really help to be upset at the photoshop team! they have their road map and we are trying to help!

Chana

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using 23.1.0 and this is still a problem. After a frustrating while of angry clicking, I found that the Layers panel worked again after I moved the entire panel to the left side of the screen. It's weird seeing Layers over there instead of on the right but at least I can do work again. It is my professional opinion that the lower right portion of the application window is haunted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 20, 2022 Apr 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did more experimenting and I found out some more stuff. Windows 11 has panels that slide in from the lower right portion of the screen. After clicking on the time and then clicking it again to close the panel that slides out, the haunted lower right portion of the Photoshop application window started working again.

Windows is somehow blocking Photoshop, acting like a window is in the way when it isn't. Opening the corner panels and closing them again seems to fix it. 

I'll just see myself out now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

My solution was to hit the lettre „Q” for the „Quick Mask Mode”.
Relaunching Photoshop did not help, since the project was in the cloud. 🤪

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines