• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a sky - Layers column

Community Beginner ,
Jul 20, 2019 Jul 20, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope I have selected the proper forum.  I'm relatively new to Ps so bare with me.  I am trying to add a different sky to a photo.  I have the original photo and the sky picture showing side by side above the work screen.  By using the move tool, I can get both on them on top of each other in the work area but only the selected photo has its corresponding image in the layer column.  Before I continue, shouldn't both images appear in the layers column?  How do I do that?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screen shot that includes the Layers panel so we can get a good idea of what you are describing.

You might also like to post your images if you are comfortable doing so and people can give suggestions on how best to create your composition.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your separate images can be combined into layers in the one document by Drag-and-Drop methods

Create collages, montages | Photoshop, Photoshop Elements

Now with two layers you can use a mask to 'hide' parts of the top layer and reveal the lower layer image.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.4, Photoshop 25.9.1, ACR 16.4, Lightroom 7.4, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.1.1, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

normann22196590  wrote

I have the original photo and the sky picture showing side by side above the work screen. 

Hi Norman,

You need to use the Move tool tool to drag one image into the other window — don’t put the two windows on top of each other. It may look like it’s not working at first but keep going and both layers will be in the same document.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It worked. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way I like top do this is to have the foreground layer above the sky layer so that the foreground overlaps the sky.

Original

Selection of foreground.  Select & Mask made a nice job of the tree, but I'll talk about this further down this post.

New sky behind the foreground.

Note, the reflection in the lake does not match the new sky. This can be fixed, but that's a different question.

The tree selection is always going to be a bit weak in this sort of situation, but simply copying the foreground layer firms it up

If the tree had been more problematic, what often do is delete it, and replace it with a Filter > Render > Tree

This will also have a problem with the reflection, so remove the reflection as well as the original tree

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do both images have to be the same size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Normann,

The pictures don’t have to necessarily be the same size. If the sky is a little smaller, you can clone or use content aware to extend it a bit. If it’s smaller, just crop it.

If you can show us what you have, we can better advise for your specific situation.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane - the back round photo is really bad.  It is just an experiment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The foreground is not great for making a decent selection, but I had a go.  In this instance, the sky and clouds is 100% hand painted using the Aaron Blaise cloud brushes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Nice job.

Could you take the time to tell me how you did all this step by step?

I am still trying to layers and masks sink in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines