• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adding a specific type of layer

Community Beginner ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I am using an image of a frame as a base layer and adding a second layer containing an actual image so that I can put various images into the frame to make it look like an actual framed image. My problem is in trying to add a 3rd layer that would contain an adjustable white mat. When I simply add an image to the frame, it leaves an unsightly line around the image, I want to cover that up so that it looks like a normal image that's been matted and framed. The inner edge (cutout area) would need to be adjustable because the images I'm using can vary slightly in size and the mat layer would need to be adjusted to fit each particular image.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Did you place the image as a Smart Object? 

Did you put the white passepartout-Layer between the frame- and the image-Layers? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding, I did not place the image as a smart object, and no layer between the image and the frame.

Here is a screenshot of where I'm at with it.

David29012997d16y_1-1679595521906.png

Thanks again so much for your feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@David29012997d16y 

As C.P. said a screenshot will help. Does the frame have a transparent center? If so, you might put the mat layer on bottom, the image layer in the middle, and the frame layer on top.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, thanks for responding, the center area of the frame is white. I'm hoping to put the mat layer on top to cover up the ugly lines around the image and give it a more realistic look.

Here's the screenshot of where I'm currently at with it.

David29012997d16y_0-1679595748418.png

I appreciate your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd have layers arranged as frame->picture->mat and have the mat just be solid, no cutout. That way the photo will always fill the area.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what I often do.

-edit typo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Lumigraphics 

That's what I suggested two days ago 🙂

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jane, thanks for responding, the center area of the frame is white. I'm hoping to put the mat layer on top to cover up the ugly lines around the image and give it a more realistic look.

I appreciate your help!

By @David29012997d16y

Hi David,

janee_1-1679679660925.png

You're welcome, David. If I don't see your post, please type an @ symbol and tag me!

Your background layer has both the frame and what I would call the "white mat" and that needs to be fixed.

• Convert the Background layer to a regular layer by clicking once on the lock icon. Background layers cannot have transparency.
    Then use the Rectangle Marquee tool to select the inner white and mask it out or delete it.
    Delete the outer white: Select the frame > Invert the selection > Delete or mask the outer white.
  • Create a new (bottom) layer for the mat
    Frame on top
    Image in middle
    Mat on bottom
  • Name your layers: double-click the current names and call them "Frame", "Image", "Mat".

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s how I like to mock up framed prints. In the demo below, this is what you see:

The print, the mat, and the frame are on three separate layers. (I also put them in a layer group called “framed print” with a green layer color, but that part is optional.) The frame layer has transparency both outside and inside it.

The white mat is one shape layer with two rectangle shape paths in it. The inner rectangle is in front, and Path Operations for it is set to Subtract Front Shape, so when this shape layer has a Fill applied, the inner rectangle is a hole subtracted from the outer rectangle. Just like a real mat.

Because the mat is a vector shape, you can always adjust the size of the mat hole by editing the inner rectangle with the Path Selection tool. So when you use a copy of this document for other photos, it takes seconds to adapt the hole to a different picture. And if you want to mock up an arrangement of multiple framed prints in one document, you can simply duplicate the entire layer group (that’s one reason I like to group them).

Also, note that adding a drop shadow to the mat shape layer really sells it!

framed print with adjustable mat.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Conrad, thank you so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to walk me through each step, this is very helpful.

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines