• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjusting a mask

Participant ,
Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am returning to Photoshop after some years, so I find I have forgotten some of what I used to know about using Photoshop itself, and apparently one of those things is how to  view a mask when painting over part of it.

I was working on a photo of a flower and I used the object select tool to select the flower itself and created a mask from that. I then used that mask in several adjustment layers and then found I wanted to remove part of the mask to adjust only some of the flower in another adjustment layer. I selected the paint brush with black color to remove some of the mask and that worked fine, but I thought I remembered that it was possible to view the mask itself rather than the image when painting over part of a mask, but I could not find any way to do that.  That is, I wanted to view the mask rather than the image when painting over the mask, but could find no way to display the mask itself rather than the image. How do I do that?

I work on a (Silicon) Mac running Ventura. Thank you for any help.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 11, 2023 Jun 11, 2023

In the Layers panel do an Option-click the layer mask thumbnail to view only the grayscale mask. To redisplay the layers, Alt-click or Option-click the layer mask thumbnail.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Layers panel do an Option-click the layer mask thumbnail to view only the grayscale mask. To redisplay the layers, Alt-click or Option-click the layer mask thumbnail.

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 -- LR-Classic 13.4 - Photoshop 25.11 - Nik Collection 7 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz PhotoAI 3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you. That worked. I thought I had tried that, but apparently I did not.

I just wanted to comment that I have been very surprised at how much more functionality I have found after returning to CC Photoshop that I don't remember from from before. Slections are much, much easier than I remember and so creatng and using masks has been a pleasure. Perhaps it is just that CC Photoshop has improved that much, or perhaps it is because I have also become more knowledgeable about what is possible over the years and more willing and able to experiment, but I have been amazed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines