• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adjusting image with FFT Filter isn't working

Community Beginner ,
Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I have an image and i'm trying to remove dimples from it as the originaly Scanned immage has textured paper.

I have the image saved as jpg and is at 8 bit RGB i'm using a 64bit windows pc woth the 54 bit fft filter.

the image sample

and the result when i run the FFT filter over the image channels is as below

I have attempted when deselecting the Green and Blue to adjust the contrast but to no avail.

I have tested the filter on and other image that i got online and this works ok.

Would anyone have any advice to get the filter working with my Scanned immages ?

Many thanks

David

typo in title

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 12, 2016 Nov 12, 2016

If you follow the directions here, you should get similar results as below.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=185

I used the fft filter from here in photoshop cc 2017

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/software/33084-here-fft-64-bit-photoshop.html

No other filters used after, just a section of your image shown at 400% before the fft filter and after the fft filter.

click on the screenshots for fullsize

before fft

fft-2.png

after fft

fft-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you post a larger image of whatever channel - the green I take it - from the image you're trying to correct after you run the first part of the FFT filter? The texture in the image you have isn't that pronounced, so you might not be getting great results with the filter. While it can greatly reduce repeated textures, it's far from perfect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using the Star Brushes that are recommended for the FFT filter?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am interested in knowing more about the FFT filter. Is this a plugin of some sort? And does it work with newer versions of Photoshop? Is there a source I can go to for more information?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a plugin, and should work with the current PS. Google fft and look for one that matched your OS and make sure it's a 64bit one. There are several different ones and some of them work differently than others, different channels, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Chuck. I do some restoration work every now and then and I have read a little about the filter, but never explored it in any serious fashion. I currently have a couple situations that I believe it may help with. Any plugin maker name in particular which I should trust or stay away from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've found that it only works relatively well with pre-printed scanned photos that display the printer dots. It's not perfect, but can significantly improve that type of photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any recommendations on which one to use. I've only used it a few times. I copy photos with cross polarizing filters, which works well to reduce the texture, so I haven't found a big need for it. it can be tricky to use, and there are versions which cost some money, but they'really really nice, and you don't need to retouch the channel. I have a friend who's a forensic photographer and he showed me how simple that version is. I'll have to get the name of that one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you follow the directions here, you should get similar results as below.

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=185

I used the fft filter from here in photoshop cc 2017

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/software/33084-here-fft-64-bit-photoshop.html

No other filters used after, just a section of your image shown at 400% before the fft filter and after the fft filter.

click on the screenshots for fullsize

before fft

fft-2.png

after fft

fft-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2016 Nov 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have found that the FFT would not work as there was a slight amount of white space at the edge of the image thus it was not able to select the pattern.

I can also say i'm Happy withe results.

I have now tried both methods of scanning the image twice with 180 degree difference and merging the layers and this and i'm getting better results with this I have many images to work so will report back when i have done some more.

Thanks so much for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines