• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe AI Denoise is VERY slow on my new windows 11 ARM Copilot+ PC

New Here ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got a Vivobook S15, with a Snapdragon Elite X processor and 32gb RAM. Its a very fast machine and real  quiet. Photoshop for ARM works very well and is very fast with one exception so far:

Using the AI denoise in ACR is VERY slow (5-7 minutes per RAW image)

Can this be "optimized"? The way it is now it is basically not practical as an option.

Thank you for your consideration

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2024 Jul 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is just my opinion, but based on recent history, I think the slow AI Denoise on Snapdragon X Elite is temporary and will be faster in the future (that’s my personal guess, not an official Adobe statement). I have a few reasons for thinking this.

What drives AI Denoise performance is much different than for most of the features in Photoshop. The two most important factors for AI Denoise performance are the GPU and the NPU. Apparently the CPU (on any hardware platform) is not well suited for the type of processing AI Denoise needs, so using a CPU with faster cores or more cores makes very little difference for AI Denoise.

Currently, the fastest performing laptops for AI Denoise are the PCs and Macs with powerful GPUs. The more expensive ones can do AI Denoise in 5 to 20 seconds per image. But the tests I have seen show that the performance of the GPU that is part of the Snapdragon X Elite is not at the same level as Nvidia, Apple, or even Intel. I am guessing that the remedy for this might be an improved GPU in a future generation of Snapdragon X Elite, unless something can be done with a graphics drivers update for current ARM Windows laptops (I am not sure how plausible that is).

On the Mac side, Adobe recently enabled support for the Apple Neural Engine NPU on Apple Silicon, and that reduces AI Denoise time a little more than using the GPU alone. Copilot+ PCs now have an NPU built in. However, the Apple Neural Engine has been included for about four years and it is only now that Adobe put it to use for AI Denoise; apparently part of the problem was on the Apple side. Hopefully they will support PC NPUs faster than that.

In short, this is what I’m thinking:

• AI Denoise benefits the most from GPU/NPU, but Snapdragon X Elite is strongest in CPU…which is the least important component for AI Denoise performance. 
  • WIndows on ARM hardware is so new that it is not clear how long it will take Adobe to fully optimize AI Denoise for Snapdragon X Elite GPU and (if available) NPU. 

I think it’s going to get there, but it is unclear how much time it will take. During the Intel to ARM transition on the Mac, it certainly took a while for applications to recode and catch up. But it was worth the wait, and I think it will also be worth the wait for Windows on ARM…eventually. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2024 Jul 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for speing so much time answering this, not sure I agree with it all but its nice to get a thoughtful opinion.

It would be great to get an opinion from the development team  that they are or will be working on this as the current situation is unacceptable. I'm wondering of they can use the NPU? It is apparently ready to use, but then again I'm just a user, that simply cant wait 5-8 minutes for noise reduction to happen per image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines