• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe Photoshop CC slower than CS5

Explorer ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally gave up  and went with the subscription model of Photoshop.  I have the latest version.  I'm finding in certain instances that it is actually slower than my CS5.  A for instance is I was just doing a smart sharpen and when I clicked OK, it took a second or two for it to render.  I have never seen that on CS5.  It's always been instantaneous.  I know in general, I've noticed this several times.  I just don't remember exactly what the scenarios were.

Anybody else wait this long to jump on board the latest version and notice that some things are slower?  I certainly wasn't expecting this from the latest and greatest.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

It seems that, as time passses, all applications become more power hungry,

more RAM is used, more disc access [virtual memory paging] makes an SSD a necessity.

However - Just to be sure, 

Perhaps try resetting Photoshop preferences again?

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes. If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-preferences/td-p/12502668

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which CC version of Photoshop and OS?
How much RAM and spare hard disk capacity do you have?
Have you tried resetting the Photoshop preferences, which you can do under the General tab in Photoshop preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Get used to the downgrades. Each new version is just slower, and works worse. CS6 was a peak in performance, and it's only downhill from there :d For me even the brushes don't work as they used to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's not my experience – newer versions of Photoshop need more powerful systems, so if your computer is not up to spec, processing time may be longer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think 12 cores, 2080TI and 32 gb ram and everything installed on SSD + 2TB scratch disks should be enough to run PS smoothly. Turns out a file that is 13000x6500 px (that I tested on old laptop, CS6 with GTX760M and 16gb of ram with no SSD), was running without much hiccups. 
In the current build I have to restart the file every 5-15 minutes, due to the canvas freezing, or ungodly slow brush performance (even a circle). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried resetting the Photoshop preferences, which you can do under the General tab in Photoshop preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yup, done all that many times, reinstalled the program many times. For digital painting PS is getting worse and worse with each update. Or even the symmetry, just try using the double axis symmetry, and you can just go on a walk, before it processes the brush strokes 😛 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More and more functionality is moving to the GPU so that's a key area to examine. Maybe a newer video card, update of drivers; but GPU is being used far, far more than your older version(s).

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2022 Feb 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AMD Rizen 9, GTX 3080 64GB Ram 2TB M2 system Drive here. Same issues. This isn't a spec/GPU issue. I render 3D animation and texture paint in 3D with almost no lag. Something in Photoshop is definately pulling the suite down.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should read: AMD Rizen 9, RTX 3080 64GB Ram 2TB M2 system Drive here. Same issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not my experience here either. I use PS every day and I've never had a freeze on the current version (v23).

My main system has 256GB RAM , i9-10920x processor and RTX3080 GPU and scratch on NVMe drive. But my second system has 64GB RAM, i7-3920K and RTX2080Ti with scratch on SSD.  Both work well with Photoshop (the larger system was built for 3D work with other applications). Note - all saving is to local drives - no network drives involved.

@Typhonart Are you using Studio drivers for the NVidia card? If not, give them a try, and when updating use Advanced options, Clean Install. I do not install the NVidia Geforce experience bloatware.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I have everything updated, and I have been using Studio Drivers for a long time. It does not help with the fact, that the brushes are just constantly lagging, without any apparent reason.

For well over past 2-3 years, PS performance was more and more dissapointing, and it's not comming only from me. Vast majority of a friends of mine also share the same feelings, a lot of them switched permanently to Procreate and Ipad for digital painting, due to the poor brush performance. I could understand it has to do something with my setup, but it's too common of a problem, to be only me 😛 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for all of your comments.  Most of them are very disappointing.

I have attached a screen grab of my PC specs.  I had asked if I needed anything new for the new Photoshop and based on recommendations, you can see the new GPU I got at the bottom of the list.  I also got 16 more GB of ram but there was a problem installing it so that hasn't happened yet.

I havne't had any freezes or anything like that, I'm just noticing some things that used to happen instantaneously are now taking a second or two.  Does seem like much but it's a second or two in the wrong direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for the typos and accidentally marking my post as the correct answer.  I don't see anywhere to edit a post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same experience here.

AMD Rizen 9 5900x GTX 3080 64GM ram 2TB M2 system drive 2TB storage/scratch problems started with Photoshop 2020, slower than anything I've ever used. 2021 slower than that updated photoshop again yesterday and the hand tool THE HAND TOOL laggs, stutters and freezes. Not all tools lag but brush sensativity wavers and performance is generally poor.

What is going on?

I maintain six systems : 3 Windows 10 and three OSX including two full Mack Pros (2012 ans 2015) and one Macbook pro 2017). All suffer under photoshop. They burn through After Effects, Blender, Premiere and Illustraitor without effort. Photoshop drags them ALL down.

What is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should read: AMD Rizen 9 5900x RTX 3080 64GBM ram 2TB M2 system drive 2TB storage/scratch

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had an issue too where I'm using the eraser, start paining with it and as soon as I start the cursor lags behind and chages to a loading icon.
I'm on a Intel i7 imac with 16GB of ram and 4gb of vid ram. Not something I should see from Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this is ABSURD !  I was just now working on an image that had nothing but text in it.  All I was doing was moving some of the text around and I got a freakin' FROZEN SCREEN.  I NEVER got a frozen screen with CS5 and I mean never.  SOOOOO disappointed !!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems that, as time passses, all applications become more power hungry,

more RAM is used, more disc access [virtual memory paging] makes an SSD a necessity.

However - Just to be sure, 

Perhaps try resetting Photoshop preferences again?

Resetting restores Photoshop's internal preferences, which are saved when Photoshop closes. If they become corrupt then various issues can occur.

Here’s some info on how to do that:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

And

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quick-tips-how-to-reset-photoshop-pre...

You may want to backup your settings and your custom presets, brushes & actions before restoring Photoshop's preferences.

Here is general info that:  https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#BackupPhotoshoppreferences

Also take a look at the following article and check if that helps: 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/printing-color-management-photoshop1.html

Preferences file location: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/preference-file-names-locations-photoshop.html

It may even be time to reinstall Photoshop.

Its recommended that you use the Adobe CC cleaner tool to remove all traces first.

Uninstall Photoshop BUT make sure to choose the option “Yes, remove app preference”.

Once that process finishes, start the installation process and look into the “Advanced Options”. Uncheck “Import previous settings and preferences” and choose to “Remove old versions”.

I hope this helps

neil barstow, colourmanagement net :: adobe forum volunteer

google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 20, 2022 Feb 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for all of those useful links.  I have bookmarked them.  If I end up with problems on a regular basis, I will refer back to them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

thx for the "correct" but I'm 

wondering if your issues are improved by that advice?

thx

Neil Barstow

colormanagement

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I removed everything with the Adobe Cleaner, reinstalled all software, updated all drivers aaaand... it does work slightly better, but still the canvas froze on me several times after switching between move and zoom d:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not much of a computer wiz so for now, I'm going to leave well enough alone.  If I end up with a lot of freezes or slowness, I'll get brave enough to try your fixes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines