Adobe slow and laggy on M1 Mac

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe photoshop is buggy and slow on my M1 Macbook Air. In fact, all of the adobe apps are slow and laggy, but specially Photoshop, Premiere and InDesign. I am using the most up to date versions of the programs. 

MacOS Monterey 12.3

M1, 2020

16GB

1Terabyte

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow up, if adobe doesnt fix their creative suite what is the point of buying it. Davinci Resolve is free for editing and compositing and color grading and Afinity has options for photoshop and design? Its frustrating how badly a paid program is performing. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

Here is a thread that follows the same pattern. See if it offers a solution you have not tried yet—https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/photoshop-on-mac-m1/td-p/12071538

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I have read this thread, is there something in specific I need to try?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was wondering if you had to run in Rosetta?

Here is what I read that I thought might be helpful. "Users of a M1 Mac need to use Rosetta, (in the CC app, select start on intel when doing a right-click on installed apps) and most users might have to disable the native canvas in the preferences/technology previews..."

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I have to run photoshop in Rosetta, or just to disable the native canvas? or is the M1 version of photoshop not working?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, have you tried to take a look at these suggestions?

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/photoshop-for-apple-silicon.html

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2022 Mar 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi both, yes I have looked at the articles you both shared. However, Photoshop, Premiere and InDesign (the three programs I use most) are ridiculously slow. 

Like I mentioned before, Davinci Resolve and Afinity run fine. Is there something I am missing, a random setting, or do I just need to run the intel/rosetta version of these programs on my M1 mac?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 30, 2022 Mar 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried running in Rosetta before? If not, then it's worth a try to see if the issue clears up. Let us know if you try it and how it works.

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you purchased your M1, did you do a clean install of your Adobe apps or did you use User Migration Assistent to move all the user data and apps over from a prior computer?

The first thing I'd do is make sure we're in a default state and there are no stale setting somewhere:
Restore your preferences using this manual method:
https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html#Manually
Does it work correctly?
If that doesn't solve it, you can quit Photoshop and put the Settings folder back.
If it does solve the problem, I would like to get the folder of settings to try and figure out what is bad with them.

Senior Product Manager - Customer Advocacy - Digital Imaging

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Jeffrey, I did a clean install of Adobe. I will try your suggestion today and get back to you on performance. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Also, is this the same process for Adobe Premiere?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines