Exit

after latest Photoshop CC2017 Update 200GB SSD full in hours

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

we have encountered a huge problem with the latest update of Photoshop CC 2017

Various Users (running different Macs, all with 10.11.6) report that after some hours of retouching their system-Volumes are full.

Changing the scrap disks doesn't have any effect in this behaviour, btw.

Depending of the images file sizes they work on or generally their throughput, their hard disks (~250GB SSD) run out of free space in mere hours.

With the use of "lsof -p <PhotoshopsProcessID>" we found the culprit to be here:

/private/var/folders/d2/3f1x0yvj1ns94nccwh4wg2ph0000gp/T/Cleanup At Startup/Photoshop Temp33624456

After closing Photoshop, the majority of the disk space is immediately free again and the users can go working.

We can reproduce and document this behaviour at any workstation.

This seems to be a huge bug which needs to be adressed immediately.

Can anybody confirm this here?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Hi Ludwig,

Please see the following link:

Scratch Disk error after running Photoshop CC 2017.1

Jesper

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ludwig,

Please see the following link:

Scratch Disk error after running Photoshop CC 2017.1

Jesper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe Adobe is aware of a problem in that ares and is working on a solution.  Use CC 2014 like I do.  Removeing your Boot disk from Photoshop  scratch disk preferences should help with your Performance problems.  OS do not run well when their boot disk full up.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried removing the boot disk from Photoshop scratch disk preferences, but that didn't seem to have any effect. The boot disk piles up temporary files nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity: Does Edit > Purge > All have any effect?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried that yet. Will give it a try tomorrow

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ludwig,

We're looking for volunteers to help test a fix for this issue.  If you're interested in helping, you can email me directly at:  first name dot last name at adobe dot com

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2017 May 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue should be resolves in Photoshop 2017.1.1 (just released).

Thanks for reporting.

Jesper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a client with some Mac's running macOS 10.12.5 and Photoshop 18.1.1 (20170425.r.252 2017/04/25:23:00:00).

We are seeing this exact problem. They usually leave computers over night running a workflow that crops and edit pictures, most computers use internal scratch and average on around 600GB free space, within a few hours there is zero space left and machines obviously come to a halt.

So I don't think this issue is solved, or has the problem come back? Thankful for some urgent advice around this.

Cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

The problem we fixed is likely unrelated to the issue you describe above.  Can you tell me how many files are being processed?

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, here is some more info.

Previously, when running CS6 and OS X 10.11.6 we did not experience this.

The workflow can produce around 4 PSDs a minute, so 250 an hour.

The original images are CR2s and around 30-50 MB each.

The workflow is removing a colored background, selecting an area and doing some sharpening, and also color adjustments.

The output become a PSD with layers and channels, around 60-80 MB.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Can you try an experiment for me?  Try disabling the GPU for Photoshop by going to Preferences > Performance and uncheck "Use Graphics Processor", then quit and restart Photoshop.  To help troubleshoot this, I need to know if the issue still occurs even if the GPU is disabled (you can always re-enable it after running the overnight test for me).

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I will set this up right away, then we leave it ticking..

Reply will come on Monday

Thanks for the help so far

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Sorry for late reply. We just finished the test without the Graphics Processor, same thing happened.

In about 1,5 hour it ate 600GB disk space, now it's halted. 650 PSDs was produced. If it matters, I noticed in the Activity Monitor that:

CEPHtmlEngine (Not Responding)

CEPHtmlEngine Helper (Not Responding)

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the updated information.  I'd like to get the action you're running on the files to try to reproduce the issue you're seeing here.  Can you email me directly at:  first name dot last name at adobe dot com

Thanks,

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will connect with client and email as fast as I can

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines