• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Ai-Powered Image correction and extension are a disaster

Participant ,
May 06, 2024 May 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Image correction and extensions seems to work very good, the result is quick and can handle a lot of issues. This works fine if you do not investigate a bit more. See example, if you check it on the original white/patterned background you hardly can see the AI-retouching.

Also with my manual edits I make an inspection changing curves to check how perfect the edit is. And so I discovered that in this case the Ai-Powered Image correction and extension are a disaster, I am very disappointed seeing this result.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems impossible to know what the extended part actually is or what the image’s pixel dimensions are. 

Could you please post screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
May 08, 2024 May 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, find enclosed bigger images. Here you can see clearly that it was not generated/replaced with the paper pattern background, but a very blurred background, visible good ad 200%

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked for »screenshots taken at View > 100% with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …)«. 

One issue that may influence the result here is that Generative Fill only creates up to 1024px x 1024px and upsamples if the area needs to be bigger. 

But even aside from that a perfect match may prove elusive and additional filtering/adjusting might be necessary. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been superimpressed with Ai can do now.  Especially with image enhancement.

Click on this to see the full scale image.

image.png

This is the original.  It's 800 X 500 pixels

image.png

This is enhanced and upscaled to 3200 X 2320 pixel with Topaz Photo Ai, and scratch removal with Photoshop Neural filter.

girl camera right has been over done (I have only been using the plugin for a few days) but check out the hair detail.  This is light years ahead of what could be done just a few years ago.

[EDIT] The image widget wouldn't let me add the image as iit was too big, so I had to downsize to 3000 pixels on the long side.

A-blurry-and-scratched-black-and-white-old-photo-topaz-faceai-enhance-4x.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Topaz indeed seems to offer some functionality that Photoshop is »lacking«. 

We’ll have to wait and see how that develops in the future. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
May 27, 2024 May 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but those results are pretty terrible and there actually were better offerings a few years ago and Adobe is still trying to catch up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way: The Remove Tool also utilizes AI, though a local and smaller model, if I understand correctly. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the remove tool uses learned models since 3-4 years, getting better year over year

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My 'annoyance' was that the result seemed to be ok and I discovered it randomly checking the curves.

In other cases (see 2 screenshots at 100%) the very bad and/or low res result was immediately clear and so I extended the background pattern 'old style' manually, photoshop AI did not help. That where 2 cases where I think the AI-Power could resolve it in just some clicks. I was shocked seeing the undefined (globe) or blurry (sunglasses) images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the 1024px limitation is something to keep in mind for now. 

But for what amounts to regular Patterns anyway I would assume Generative Fill is something of a gamble at current and other options (like Library Pattern extraction) seem preferable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could, of course, learn how to use Photoshop and do this editing manually. Right now, AI is an additional tool and not a standalone solution. Just saying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hands and Brain are always better then AI 😉 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, in other fields AI actually does seem to make a positive difference; AlphaFold has apparently provided a huge boost for medicine/biochemistry/… but that is obviously a »different beast«. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem here isn't the tool, it's your expectations. Adobe never claimed it produces "perfect" results, so i'm unsure why that was your expectation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am building a car, but I do not claim that it will perfect, it could also drive you out of the street.

We do not use Phoshop for joke/fun, but for (faster) image editing.

And not for beta testing Adobe Software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines