• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

all tools stuck as hand tool

New Here ,
Apr 25, 2018 Apr 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

so I use the newest update of photoshop CC and I'm having a lot of trouble.

for no particular reason, about a week ago, an error message would pop up when I tried to work with layers. I uninstalled and reinstalled (and updated) photoshop and that bug went away. now whenever I use any tool, the icon for that tool will show up, but it only works as the hand tool. I have tried cleaning my spacebar vigorously, but that did nothing. the brush tool with works if I draw a horizontal line, but that is it. I have reset all tools and restarted my windows 10 laptop countless times.

I use photoshop for art and animation and occasionally simple projects for school- things that could be make in MS Word

I am not an advanced user, and I've been using photoshop for a year.

please help???

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Hi reddickulous,

Microsoft released an update that fixes this: More info here: Cannot paint with stylus when zoomed in on image | Windows 10

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you reset your preferences when you reinstalled?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think so, would it make a difference if I reset preferences now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would probably help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 26, 2018 Apr 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did, and it didn't do a thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a Wacom related issue And is covered in other threads. Please search this forum for the solution as it’s already been dealt with. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, this isn't solely a Wacom issue. This is an Adobe or Microsoft issue more likely, as I'm using a Microsoft Surface Pro 5 with newest PS/CC installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same issue. A horizontal line can be drawn, but otherwise the hand tool is EVERY tool. Using PS CC, newest, on Surface Pro 5. I went so far as to uninstall Creative Cloud as well, and to use Adobe's Cleaner tool to remove all host files and anything associated with CC. I then reinstalled CC, then an OLDER version of Photoshop (2017) within CC, thinking this would work, and it didn't.

This has rendered PS completely unusable, and I've had to start learning Clip Studio to get anything done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I stand corrected. Youre right, its not only Wacom pens that are affected. Did you unistall the most recent Microsoft update too?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did. And it doesn't give the option  to uninstall it in the MS updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi reddickulous,

Microsoft released an update that fixes this: More info here: Cannot paint with stylus when zoomed in on image | Windows 10

Regards,

Pete

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Pete 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2018 May 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issue on a MacBook Pro running Mac OS high Sierra 10.13.4. I am actually utilizing the free trial to decide on the product. So far it’s Not a good look and I am glad I didn’t purchase yet which I almost did. The hand    is the only tool available in tools for “me” and it does absolutely nothing. It doesn’t work during the training or regular editing. I ttied the spacebar option , reset preferences and so on from previous posts. No Cigar Adobe, what’s up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same for me usingMacBook Pro with Catalina CC PS 22.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue on M1 iMac 2021. Cannot select a tool from the tool bar...all are now becoming a hand tool. Very frustrating and only a computer restart can temporarily fix this issue. It returns without an obvious trigger action. Is there anything to cure this recurring issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2022 Nov 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi, did you find a fix for this bug? everyday I need to restart my iMac M1 2021, please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 20, 2021 Apr 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I join the list. There has been this hand-tool bug for over years - with many, many complaints - mostly never answered by Adobe and apparantly it's somewhere hidden in the code as after 11 years it's still not solved 😉

For me; i'm rubnning on a imac 2020, all latest updates and everything, but every time after a while (one day, half a day but almost every day...) working I get the hand tool. Suddenly. And when the hand tool is displayed (as the cursor) it's there to last forever. So only a restart can solve the problem.

I have an old iMac too, it's the same issue there only then it lasts for a week or so and is almost always related to a Adobe Cloud notification. As soon as there is anything in adobe cloud, the computers gets slow, buggy and most of the times the hand waves bye bye again. Untill restart,.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Casper,

Ihave been tearing my hair out with the problem of the hand tool until today when I plugged my Wacom Intuos 4 tablet directly into one of the MacBook Pro USB ports instead of going through a USB hub and the problem hasn't returned.

Hop this helps you and others, Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2022 Jul 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Four years after this was posted and it's still a problem.  MS updates don't fix it if you're using a mac so how is this thread titled as "solved".  Between this and the hidden dialogue box I'm very close to cancelling my adobe subscription

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2022 Nov 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been tearing my hair out with the problem of the hand tool until today when I plugged my Wacom Intuos 4 tablet directly into one of the MacBook Pro USB ports instead of going through a USB hub and the problem hasn't returned. It looks like you use a PC but the problem may be the same.

Hope this helps you and others, Don

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2024 Mar 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same problem with my Mac.  Please tell us a solution, otherwise I am dead in the water.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines