• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Alt button brings up menu

Participant ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Windows 10:  When resizing a window using  alt + space  bar + click  I get a small menu top left (minimize maximize ...) and a sound. I have silenced my computer to keep from going nuts. The menu is still there though, Does anyone know how I can fix this?  I found a thread saying it would be fixed in the latest release, this thread was dated 10/2017, 1 year ago, the original post was 7 years old!!  and!!!  You know what I mean babe?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

You realise that is an operating system function, and not Photoshop?  If you press just the Alt key, then it toggles the menus as below.  Pressing  F would now open the File menu.

The same thing in File Explorer, except now it has a more graphic representation of what does what.

To get round your annoying tone issue — and I can see how that would drive you crazy — just hit and hold Ctrl before your hit Alt space, or better still, use Ctrl Space, and drag the cursor left and right to zoom in and ou

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You realise that is an operating system function, and not Photoshop?  If you press just the Alt key, then it toggles the menus as below.  Pressing  F would now open the File menu.

The same thing in File Explorer, except now it has a more graphic representation of what does what.

To get round your annoying tone issue — and I can see how that would drive you crazy — just hit and hold Ctrl before your hit Alt space, or better still, use Ctrl Space, and drag the cursor left and right to zoom in and out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Trevor, they both work!  I prefer to click through the standard increments.  If I hit control first it still does go to zoom out when I alt, space, click.

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is to fix. That menu is standard Windows function in any Windows app when pressing Alt+spacebar.
I've just confirmed it is the same in an app I wrote myself so is definitely not written into the application.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dave,

I tried that first, all I could find was how to turn off the windows key as a hotkey but this did not turn off all shortcuts just the one key.  The above is perfect though they're next to each other on the keyboard I'm using.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2023 Dec 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

But PS CS4 works perfectly and it doesn't bring up the menu on top in the fullscreen mode!!!

Hate this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mal25  wrote

Using Windows 10:  When resizing a window using  alt + space  bar + click  I get a small menu top left (minimize maximize ...) and a sound.

Alt + Spacebar is the keyboard shortcut for the menu you describe. Tapping the underlined letter brings up the next command, i.e., Alt + Space, then M for move, then use your arrow keys, followed by Enter to accept that you moved the window. No mouse is necessary, and I am not sure where your "click" comes in?

Alt by itself bring up the top level menus, as Trevor said. This has been true since I started using Windows with version 2.0, which was text only and years before most people were using a mouse. Everything was done with the keyboard in those days. Some things haven't changed, such as my favorite: Ctrl + F6 to cycle between open windows of a Windows application.

And by "operating system", Trevor means "Windows Operating System", as the Mac has always used a mouse and does not have these shortcuts, not even in Microsoft Office 365 which I have installed on both platforms.

Escape will close the menus if you open them accidentally.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderator please assign Windows label to this thread (and delete my post).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines