• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Analog photography 35mm

New Here ,
Jun 15, 2024 Jun 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi! What is the exact RGB color of unexposed color film? Thank you.

Emilio38064002xz0b_1-1718468992208.png

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The exact value of the amber mask can vary depending on the film brand and film type, so there is no single answer unless you have a specific film in mind.

What is the goal, are you trying to invert color negative scans?

If you are trying to invert scanned color negative film, you can cancel out the amber mask using Curves in Photoshop, but it’s much easier to use software such as VueScan, SilverFast, or NegativeLab Pro that are able to precisely invert various brands of color negative film.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's been a long time, but I seem to remember it varied a bit between different types of film.

By one and see for yourself. If your monitor is well calibrated it should be fairly easy to match.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience, it will vary from roll to roll of the same film type depending on the processing.

Ken Seals - Nikon Z 9, Z 8, 14mm-800mm. Computer Win 11 Pro, I7-8700K, 64GB, RTX3070TI. Travel machine: 2021 MacBook Pro M1 MAX 64GB. All Adobe apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would depend on how the unexposed film is captured.

If you measured the unexposed film with a spectrophotometer you would get a different result than if you took a photo with a camera as in your sample.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I was thinking along the same lines.  If you want an exact RGB value, then the light source, time of day, colour of nearby reflective surfaces, colour space used if recorded with a camera, as well as the make of the film stock will all make a difference.  As I remember it, color slide film was much darkner that color negative.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2024 Jun 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also: Which RGB space are you talking about? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines