Exit

ARTBOARD BUGS !? canvas, image size problem

Community Beginner ,
Jun 23, 2016 Jun 23, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been using adobe for long, but first time I'm using CC, so the issue is:

1. Had defined my size as 1080x1440 on the new file but both the image size and the canvas size changed automatically(not even proportional to my custom) though my canvas size was showing the correct size. ( image size and canvas size is showing diff than artboard size, when I SAVE AS - png, its saving in the image size not the artboard size.

2. when exporting artboard ( i wanted png so cntr+alt+shift+w ) my objects placed on the canvas are getting misaligned. EVEN THOUGH on the artboard canvas its showing proper positioning, when exporting its shifting my entire object location

3. This is surprisingly not happening on every layer, but on random layers and in random order at times. sometimes shifting left sometimes bottom, sometimes more sometimes less. I'm perplexed really !

I have several groups and several layers within those groups. And i need a solution to this soon ! Please help ! I am really confused ! After having defined the size the first thing when we make a new file these things shouldn't happen.

How can i work if my canvas is showing something and when i'm saving its showing something else... ?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Artboard documents have an auto expanding canvas depending on the content in the document. This allows you to move content freely around the document view without worrying about whether it will fit on the canvas. The adjusted bounds match internal memory tile sizes for performance reasons, which is why they seem not proportional to you. Normally this is hidden from you by virtue of the "infinite" background outside the artboards, but there are places where the hidden canvas size appears in the u

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2018 Aug 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was struggling with this trying to make banner ads.. I got around by not selecting artboard while making original file. Hope this helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a fix on this issue? I've wasted 4 hours trying to figure it out. Funny thing is...the Export feature was working fine a few weeks ago...now its not. Very frustrating!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2018 Aug 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 25, 2018 Sep 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bug still exists. Adobe should be ashamed of itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 19, 2018 Oct 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Photoshop dev team,...  when you add "features" like this expanding canvas thing, you really screw up the user experience.   This irritating feature has massively reduced the intuitive workflow that so many designers have been used to.  Ive just spent 2 hours going mad trying to figure out why the 'export' screen looks so different to the artwork I designed in the editor.

I have now unchecked the AUTO-SIZE CANVAS option, and it still shows differently in the export box.

SO

I checked the SHRINK WRAP CANVAS ON SAVE option, and then saved it as a new file, and it still does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2019 Jan 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Problem: When exporting artboards, some drawings were misaligned.

- Cause: There were some pixels drawn outside the artboard.

- Applied solution: Create an inverted mask to erase everything outside the artboard.

Captura de pantalla 2019-01-05 a las 23.06.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 09, 2019 Apr 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS IS WHY I HATE ADOBE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! Still no fix?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Underneath explanation helps but it is not on a logical place!

If you must turn off the the canvas auto-expand functionality, you can. It's in the Artboard Tool Options Gear icon. It is set on a per document basis.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2020 Feb 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not fixing the problem for me. And work around is right click on artboard to EXPORT As...but I am trying to export an animated GIF and there is no work around for Adobe saving file size to canvas instead of my artboard size. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 17, 2019 Dec 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue, there's a difference with artboard size and randon canvas size! Luckily, my extra space all around is transparent, and I found a solution for this. In the Artboard Properties tab, if you scroll all the way down, there are 4 Quick Action buttons, using the Trim button, and selecting Transparent to trim out cuts out all the excess and at least gets it back to my original artboard trim. Quite frustrating. nonetheless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 08, 2020 Apr 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a background object the size of my artboard and a smaller object in front -- the smaller object was getting pushed off to the side in the output.

I turned the background object and the foreground object into a single smart object, and that solved the problem. Don't know why, but it worked. Just my $0.02 and YMMV. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had just one artboard, then the solution I found for me was going to Layer > Ungroup Artboards. Then I got nack to the classic photoshop canvas and I was able to crop out the random extra size. I lost at least one hour in this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2021 Jan 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to solve it:

Your canvas is the wrong size. Go to Image > Trim > Transparent Pixels.

That's it.

[abuse removed by moderator] 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue and the ONLY ANSWER that helped me was the answer by RSE40 (thank you by the way for posting it). I did the trim and that solved the issue. Finally someone who really understood the issue. The answer marked as green and marked as the correct answer did'nt help me at all. Sorry to say, but it seems like moderators just randomly pick an answer to their liking and often completely miss the point of why we are here: We need help, not justifications for why things work the awkward unintuitive way they often do. Please mark the correct answer in green the one by RSE40. Sometimes it seems like moderaters have secretly been replaced by AI chat bots. It sure feels like it when you read the beginning of this post.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's 2022 and this is still happening. Will they ever fix this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 11, 2022 May 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only solution to this problen is do not use the artboard feature of the photoshop, incase you did, open a new canvas without the arboard grouping, and export/duplicate your project to the new canvas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2022 Jul 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This feature is so annoying. How can I turn it off? It's stopping me from doing my job effectively. I have been in the industry 17 years and I'm finding these programs are being over-engineered and are actually at times making the job harder, not easier. The select subject feature is brilliant mind! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines