• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Auto-save on file close: HOW DO I TURN THIS OFF

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Extremely frustrating new 'feature' auto-saves my files when I close them, without asking if I want to save. I cannot find an option in preferences to turn this off.

To reproduce, save a file to the adobe cloud then make a series of destructive changes and close the file window with the X icon.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Hello, if you would like to request a change in the way saving to the Creative Cloud works, I suggest to post on https://feedback.photoshop.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
New Here , Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Hi, I had this exact same problem and frustration. I found that you can revert to a previous version via the Adobe Cloud interface. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/manage-cloud-documents-photoshop.html#Viewversionhistoryofaclouddocument

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, this is how cloud services work everywhere. It's what people expect.

If you don't like it, save locally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait a second, I'm using Photoshop not a 'cloud service'. Adobe Creative Cloud storage is a different service. When I and anybody else in my organisation uses Photoshop they expect that closing the file allows them to casually destroy any unsaved changes, as it has done for years and years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Didn't you just say you were saving to cloud?  ("To reproduce, save a file to the adobe cloud")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"AFAIK, this is how cloud services work everywhere. It's what people expect.

If you don't like it, save locally."

UM... No, It is not what I as a power user expects. That option is for the herd of light users. If I am "in an app" Desktop or Mobile device - I sure as hell don't want software autosaving my work. IF I am on a "web tool", actual software on the web, then you can say "people should expect that". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you save locally instead of saving to the cloud. That's what power users do. There's no autosave when you save to local disk.

Unless your machine is crashing, in which case there is a different kind of autosave, or rather, auto recovery. But that's not what we're discussing here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only in a web app. not a local app, as a power user I should control all actions in a local running application. I have 3 work stations, I can choose when and where to save with all my other software. 

Yeah Crashing is another thread and is unrealated to the UX decision to auto save on a local running application by default.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@D Fosse wrote:

AFAIK, this is how cloud services work everywhere. It's what people expect.

If you don't like it, save locally.

This isn't google docs. A better comparison would be dropbox. Which doesn't change how the applications on my computer handle unsaved changes on close.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mate, why're you defending it? It's a really bad decision. I work as a usability analyst and this is such a simple problem to rectify - Simply ask us if we wish to save? If you don't want the dialogue box every time, then give us the option to set a permanent prefernce. I often like to close my document if I've made too many destructive changes to a document, so having it auto save catches me out so many times. I've always worked this way and so ahve many others from the looks of things. Theres so reason we can't choose to save to cloud and also be asked if we wish to save. That would be my preference and there's a really easy fix on Adobe's end for it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2023 Nov 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Bravo!! 🙏🏿

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 21, 2023 Feb 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, you are truly dense.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure who you are referring to but please refrain from personal attacks. Adobe has chosen to auto-save when using cloud documents, there is not currently a way to change that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, if you would like to request a change in the way saving to the Creative Cloud works, I suggest to post on https://feedback.photoshop.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2022 Aug 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

that links to https://community.adobe.com/ could't find feedback section

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You do know that cloud saving is optional? You can save locally to your machine just as it always worked.

Apologies if I'm telling you what you already know perfectly well, it just seems unclear from your post ("Wait a second, I'm using Photoshop not a 'cloud service'.")

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's fairly straight-forward, if I am using Photoshop (the application) the expectation is that my files do NOT auto-save. If the option to auto-save is present because of an update, the expectation is that I can configure the application NOT to auto-save. 

Creative Cloud seems to totally break that expectation. I will forward feedback to Adobe directly because from these posts it appears there is no way to store data in the cloud and have auto-save disabled.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 05, 2020 Jun 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had this exact same problem and frustration. I found that you can revert to a previous version via the Adobe Cloud interface. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/manage-cloud-documents-photoshop.html#Viewversionhistoryofac...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2021 Oct 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I completely agree, it should be an option! So what if that's how cloud services usually work, change it! There aren't any rules to this stuff!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2021 Feb 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

100% agree with the OP.

This needs to be OPTIONAL.

If the psd file lives in a dropbox folder - it doesn't auto-save (thank goodness). 

This is NOT google docs!

It's an application on my computer with a specific save command.

It should ONLY save when I explicitly ask it to.

For those that want this - make it an option. But don't force it on the rest of us.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"AFAIK, this is how cloud services work everywhere. It's what people expect."

^ Lmao

But I do have a soultion actually, just download this script:

https://mega.nz/file/YVFQwJpR#att_ma1qf-r6NJzbmTscD04M6XG_FF6_SwNRJ2d2u54

and navigate to File > Scripts > Browse and open it. It's kind of a hassle to run this everytime I know but this seems to be the only solution for this very frustrating problem as of right now. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 17, 2022 Feb 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They need to just simply turn it off!! Just turn off autosave! How hard can that be?!! Clearly most of photoshop users don't like it!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 01, 2022 Mar 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 for this problem, really. I almost had a heart attack yesterday until I found out that you can revert.

Reverting is an excellent feature, but auto-save on documet close without asking is really really frustrating. Please solve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2022 May 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so infuriating. WT actual F.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had this same thing happening to me. I flattened a file to reduce it's size and save JPG and when I was finished I just closed the file and I saw the progress save bar and I was like Who TF told you to save anything!  Fortunately you can revert to older versions. Pheew...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I work on different workstations so I want to use the Cloud-service for my files, but this is extremely annoying just mindboggling that Adobe haven't made it possible to turn this off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines