Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Automatically fit to canvas when place new image

Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have a file size 3000x3000px. When I drag and drop a 500x500px image onto the workspace, how does the image automatically fit the size of the workspace?

I have a file size 3000x3000px. When I drag and drop a 500x500px image onto the workspace, how does the image automatically fit the size of the workspace?

Currently the way it is working is that the image that I drag and drop is smaller than the canvas size and off the center of the canvas. I would then have to Ctrl T to resize the image if I wanted it to fit on the canvas. So if I drop multiple images of the same size 500x500px I will have to edit each one.

I want to resize the image to fit the canvas, not resize the canvas, so Trim doesn't work

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, you can turn off this option from preferences and convert the place object to a smart object then it will be ok

or

Another way is simply to open the file in photoshop then drag it with move tool in your canvas...regards

Ali Sajjad / Graphic Design Trainer / Freelancer / Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Here I have a video to describe the current situation. When dragging and dropping the image, it will not be in the center of the canvas. I can open each image with PTS if there are only a few images. But I have more than 300 images to drop into the same PTS file, it will take a long time :((

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the video, my image is 3000x3000px, 72DPI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop is scaling placed images to fit canvas only when you have enough large file to scale down, it won't scale up or enlarge placed image. 

Also beware of resolution of placed image. If resolution of placed image is higher then parent document, image may be scaled down to match parent document resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!

Here I have a video to describe the current situation. When dragging and dropping the image, it will not be in the center of the canvas. I can open each image with PTS if there are only a few images. But I have more than 300 images to drop into the same PTS file, it will take a long time :((

In the video, my image is 3000x3000px, 72DPI

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nhungcamn 

All you need is a simple action to vertically and horizontally align the layer to a selection, such as select all.

What file format and pixel dimensions are the dog images? I know the target image is 3000px square.

There are scripts to stack files into layers, however 300 layers at 3000px squre may well eat into memory when processing and saving:

Files > Scripts > Load Files Into Stack

or

https://morris-photographics.com/photoshop/scripts/import-folder.html

or

https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/images-to-layers-large-volumes/m-p/12...

Then another script could be run to align and or fit each layer to the canvas.

A custom script could do both in a single step.

There are many ways to automate this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks!

I will try it

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Let the forum know how you go... If you get stuck, you could share say three dog images and somebody could likely help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines